Windows 10: Defragsvc keeps starting up automatically

Discus and support Defragsvc keeps starting up automatically in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; All evening something keeps calling up svchost.exe (defragsvc) (it's listed in the resource manager under Processes with Disk Activity, and under Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rivre, Jan 24, 2018.

1. rivre Win User

Defragsvc keeps starting up automatically

All evening something keeps calling up svchost.exe (defragsvc) (it's listed in the resource manager under Processes with Disk Activity, and under Disk Activity as defrag.exe). The hard drive keeps grinding away, but I checked and it's disabled in the scheduler.

If I move the mouse around it stops temporarily. Why does it keep coming up? I don't want it to defrag automatically.

:)

rivre, Jan 24, 2018
  2. suat.cini Win User

SSD cannot be trimmed after Windows Anniversary Update.

Please refer to
    THiS
    article. The title should be Optimize drives as I translated already. Defragsvc appears in the Properties window of the Optimize drives service. See my screenshot. It is all there.

Hope this helps.

suat.cini, Jan 24, 2018
  3. Marie Ave Win User
    OneNote Starting Up Automatically After Windows 10 Desktop Loads - Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Problem

In that case, I suggest that you send a message via our Feedback Hub. You can follow the instructions provided by
    Johann Eva on this post.

Marie Ave, Jan 24, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

'defragsvc' is the defragment/optimize service. By default it's scheduled to run weekly. If you want to change; Start button\Windows Administrative Tools\Defragment and Optimize Drives.

mrgeek, Jan 24, 2018
  5. rivre Win User
    Off
    Drives are not being optimized automatically.

That's what I'm saying. It's off, so why is it running by itself?

rivre, Jan 24, 2018
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey rivre,
    Check Services to see if Optimize Drives startup is Automatic. If that's not it, then I'd check Task Scheduler.

Eagle51, Jan 24, 2018
  7. rivre Win User
    Optimize drives is set to manual. Defrag is disabled in the Task Scheduler.

Should I set to Optimize drives to disabled? Is there a downsize to that? If I disable it, will I still be able to manually run defrag, or would I have to set it back to manual again when I want to run it?

If it's set to manual, why is it running on it's own? Could something else be triggering it to run? But what?

rivre, Jan 24, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Any chance you got some 3rd party app that's starting it, maybe something in Task Manager > Start Up

Note: You can try disabling Optimize Drives, just to see, but I wouldn't leave it that way.

Eagle51, Jan 24, 2018
  9. rivre Win User
    Nope, just double-checked, but not too many things are enabled at startup. Only what's necessary and a few utilities that I have set to run at startup like SunsetScreen. Nothing unusual that would suggest it would trigger a defrag.

rivre, Jan 24, 2018
  10. swarfega Win User
    Latest Windows 10 has night light built in.

Regarding your problem, you could try disabling the service if you don't use it.

swarfega, Jan 24, 2018
  11. rivre Win User
    This continues to be a problem. If I leave the PC alone for a few minutes, it starts up. Defrag is disabled in the task scheduler. So why is it still running automatically? How can I stop this behavior? It's very much an inconvenience to me.

Somebody else had posted the same issue 2 years ago, and there was no solution posted there either.

Automatic disk defrag every 5 minutes when idle

rivre, Feb 6, 2018
  12. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction" /v "Enable" /t REG_SZ /d "n" /f reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout" /v "EnableAutoLayout" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Disable sc config defragsvc start= disabled net stop defragsvc /y[/quote] It is better to use 3rd party software to defrag. It is way faster and more informative.

Windows defrag takes ages and sometimes it actually never ends.

14 Free Defrag Software Tools (Updated February 2018)

TairikuOkami, Feb 6, 2018
  13. rivre Win User

It is better to use 3rd party software to defrag. It is way faster and more informative.

Windows defrag takes ages and sometimes it actually never ends.

14 Free Defrag Software Tools (Updated February 2018)[/quote] Thanks. What do those registry tweaks do exactly? I don't like to add registry tweaks/settings unless I know exactly what each one does. If I run those and I still want to run Windows 10 manually, will I be able to?

I used to use 3rd party defrag software but not since moving to Windows 10. I do have defraggler and IObit Smart Defrag installed but I never use them actually. Windows does sometimes take a long time, especially since it sometimes runs tons of passes and it never bothers to tell you how many more it's planning on making. But I've never run into an issue where it hasn't finished at some point.

rivre, Feb 7, 2018
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Why only now do you mention you have 2 other defragging tools installed.

If you never use them, than uninstall them, they could be causing the problem. Windows does a fine job on its own.

If you keep your drives at 0% defragmented, you`re good.

AddRAM, Feb 7, 2018
  15. rivre Win User
    Because I have already checked and they are fully disabled. It's windows defrag service that is running, not the 3rd party tools. I just checked again in both programs, and all auto modes are disabled, and the software does not run at startup. And those programs are not in the resource manager when the windows defrag service is running. I have them installed because I like to have options. As mentioned above, some like 3rd party tools so that they know how far along they are in the process. Windows keeps it a secret so it may be 10 more minutes, it may be 2 more hours. Some 3rd party tools do a much better job at letting you know the status.

It shouldn't matter how defragmented my drives are or aren't - if it is disabled in the scheduler (it is) and in the screen you show above (it is) then it shouldn't be running. But it does anyways.

rivre, Feb 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Defragsvc keeps starting up automatically - Similar Threads - Defragsvc keeps starting

2. Windows start menu keeps scrolling automatically

in Cortana
    Windows start menu keeps scrolling automatically: Hi there, So basically I just opened Windows Search / Windows Start menu and tried to search for something when I noticed that it kept scrolling automatically through all my apps / options on the start menu. I have attached a video turned to a gif. I can't search for anything...
  3. Windows start menu keeps scrolling automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows start menu keeps scrolling automatically: Hi there, So basically I just opened Windows Search / Windows Start menu and tried to search for something when I noticed that it kept scrolling automatically through all my apps / options on the start menu. I have attached a video turned to a gif. I can't search for anything...
  4. Windows start menu keeps scrolling automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start Menu keeps resetting automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu keeps resetting automatically: Hello Everyone, I am facing an issue with the start menu on my Windows 10. Start Menu keeps resetting itself. Even after arranging the tiles, the layout resets on its own after some time. I want to customize the layout as per my preference but it just sticks to this layout by...
  6. App keeps launching automatically at start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App keeps launching automatically at start-up: I have installed Zoom but this app launches automatically taking over my screen.I don’t know how to stop it. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-keeps-launching-automatically-at-start-up/4f228a80-69ed-4535-ba8a-38170a143c71
  7. OneDrive nolonger starts up automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive nolonger starts up automatically.: For some reason today neither my pc or laptop want to startup OneDrive automatically at startup. Launch it manually it works fine. No its not a matter of selecting automatic from the Startup list in Task manager. OneDrive isn't listed there. Ideas?...
  8. open chrome automatically on start up

open chrome automatically on start up: how to open chrome automatically in windows 10 on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-chrome-automatically-on-start-up/be87b8ee-0186-42fe-9050-e6e18853191a
  9. Word starting up automatically when computer starts up ?

Word starting up automatically when computer starts up ?: Hi I was using word yesterday and suddenly today when I start the computer it opens Word and multiple blank documents appear on screen. I have been following a recent group discussion and cant get it to stop. Any ideas ? Chris Craig...
  10. Start-up: Preparing Automatic Repair

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start-up: Preparing Automatic Repair: Hi Long story ... I have a Samsung laptop. Bought it years ago. I went over to Windows 10 when it just came out. After a while it started acting up, so I assumed it was old ... But then on a day on start-up it gave a black screen - nothing else. So I had someone look at it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defragsvc keeps starting