Windows 10: Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

Discus and support Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys, Long time lurker but just registered ! So please bare with me. I just got a NEW PC so I installed Windows 10 Home on it. Now I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iammike, Jul 24, 2018.

1. iammike Win User

Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker but just registered ! So please bare with me.

I just got a NEW PC so I installed Windows 10 Home on it.

Now I am running into an issue that when starting a program via the Shortcut Key (Added via Right Click on Shortcut, and select Properties and then fill in the Shortcut Key example CTRL+ALT+W) there is a delay of around 2-3 seconds before the program starts. This didn't occur on my old Windows 10 PC.

I already have found a couple of pages on the net that it has something to do with Prefetch, but I don't wanna disable that for now (only as a last resort *chuckle)
    (Example of one of those pages, but there are more

3-second delay when launching programs with keyboard shortcuts. : Windows10

What I have found out that when I manually kill Store and Settings (which seem to spawn sometimes even when all Background App Settings are DISABLED (Turn On or Off Background Apps in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) that the DELAY is gone.

Here just a short excerpt from a log file I am keeping about Store and Settings and I kill them via Taskkill /F

As you can see store and settings are starting approx every hour.

Yes, Store automatic updates are disabled and NO I am not starting them manually *Wink

Any idea guys what is going on !

Thx for any insights and advice, really appreciated.

Edit: And another non related question, is it possible to automatically "kill" Suspended processes ?

:)

iammike, Jul 24, 2018
  2. ddinc Win User

Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.

Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts(either single key or ctrl alt) take for about 5-6 seconds to start.
    Even notepad....

ddinc, Jul 24, 2018
  3. 3 second delay when using shortcut key to launch program

I have set up a few shortcut keys in order to use the keyboard to launch programs, e.g. ctrl + alt + w to launch Windows Media Player. Directly after booting Windows 10 these shortcut keys launch the programs instantaneously.

However after a few hours, when pressing the shortcut keys, Windows waits exactly 3 seconds before loading the program, even when the machine is completely idle. After rebooting, the shortcut key then launches the programs instantaneously again, but only
    for a few hours.

Anyone else seeing this?

Donny Murgatroyd, Jul 24, 2018
  4. D3LL Win User

Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.

What happens if you try opening notepad from the start menu? How long does that take?

Thema:

1. Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts - Similar Threads - Delay launching programs

2. App launch delay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App launch delay: I am running Windows 10 Professional with the latest update. There is a noticeable several second lag when l launch an app from the command line or from keyboard shortcuts. There is no delay launching apps from the start menu or shortcut. I saw via Google query that ending...
  3. App launch delay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App launch delay: I am running Windows 10 Professional with the latest update. There is a noticeable several second lag when l launch an app from the command line or from keyboard shortcuts. There is no delay launching apps from the start menu or shortcut. I saw via Google query that ending...
  4. App launch delay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. keyboard delay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard delay: I was in a game then I heard a beep and then my keyboard started to delay but its only for this account because i went to a different account and my keyboard was working perfectly fine. Does anybody know how to fix this?...
  6. Program launch shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program launch shortcuts don't work: Height What I want is to launch programs, such as Notepad, using the key combination. The instructions are pretty clear: - create a shortcut on the desktop. — Click properties, put the cursor in the "shortcut key" and select key. - hit 'apply' — You then have a...
  7. Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys: I have several apps on my desktop that I launch with shortcut keys. For instance, Ctrl-Shift-I launches Google so I can do an Internet search. I have been using these shortcut keys for years, as far back as Windows ME, and they have always been a great time saver. Ever...
  8. Shortcuts fail to launch the program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts fail to launch the program: For a few days now every time I double click a shortcut the screen flashes off then back on and the program fails to start. If I right click the program and chose properties to look at the shortcut I get the same thing. When I do this with taskmanager open "Windows Problem...
  9. Browsers delayed launch

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers delayed launch: Hello everyone. I have a small (but irritating) problem that I need help with. Recently (can't exactly remember when) Firefox and Chrome started taking too long to launch. After launch there is no slowdown or choppiness, they both run fine. The time to launch for each browser...
  10. Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.: Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts(either single key or ctrl alt) take for about 5-6 seconds to start. Even notepad.... 36530