Windows 10: Delay on file explorer operations of about 2 to 3 seconds

Discus and support Delay on file explorer operations of about 2 to 3 seconds in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an annoying delay on the use of my computer since upgrading to Windows 10. The most obvious place is when using the file explorer. I get a 2 to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vernvan, Aug 5, 2015.

1. vernvan Win User

Delay on file explorer operations of about 2 to 3 seconds

I have an annoying delay on the use of my computer since upgrading to Windows 10. The most obvious place is when using the file explorer. I get a 2 to 3 second delay on most operations. These would include: dragging a file into a folder, renaming a file, naming a new folder, etc. When I drag a file into a folder, it does not sort the new file, but the file stays at the bottom of the list. Pretty annoying. I see this same delay in quite a few operations.

I have an i7-2700K processor, 16GB ram, a 250 GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro along with a 2 TB storage drive with ample space on both. I did not have this delay in Windows 7 that I upgraded from.

:)

vernvan, Aug 5, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Beezqp Win User
    Windows 10 general lag

I also noticed a lag somehow connected to the explorer. The biggest problem for me is the File Explorer's pinned folders list not opening or opening with a huge delay (up to 2-3 seconds). Sometimes it affects Start menu too. The issue started for me with
    Preview build 10130.

In win7-8.1 I normally clicked the Explorer's icon on Toolbar with LMB and "pulled" it up, which opened the list. In Win10 it does work, but due to lag it's completely useless. It was supposed to be "quick access" option... :/

Beezqp, Aug 5, 2015
  4. peterusov Win User

I've the same problem, i7- 3.2 Ghz, 12 GB RAM, SSD 250 Samsung SSD 840 Pro!!! Do U have mapped drives?
    Also my Win 10 file explorer does not refresh automatically the folder view. *Sad

peterusov, Sep 17, 2015
  5. peterusov Win User
    peterusov, Sep 17, 2015
  6. peterusov Win User
    I fund problem with 3rd party software installed on my PC, that includes a context menu extension. Excellent solution here: http://www.eightforums.com/performan...tml#post187343

peterusov, Sep 17, 2015
  7. peterusov Win User
    check 3rd party software installed that includes a context menu extension. excellent solution here: http://www.eightforums.com/performan...tml#post187343

peterusov, Sep 17, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

It's mostly due to default handlers that generate previews for things like images and avi's/mkv's/mp4's etc. Set to Detail View and set it to "all folders" and it might speed up a bit. Also, change the default player of video content from Movies and TV to VLC-Not the tile version, the regular desktop version, because that app can handle all content types easily - Movies and TV chokes on several codec types and that probably affects Explorer.

XweAponX, Sep 17, 2015
  9. vernvan Win User
    I do have mapped drives. Somehow, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Updated driver?

vernvan, Sep 24, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Yes, That was my post in 8 forum. However, step 5 in that post will not work with Windows 10. I updated here:
    Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up - Windows 10 Forums

In addition. Incompatible Shell extensions is one of the cause. Delay can be caused by other things such as:
    • Explorer is busy re-discovering the mapped drive because the DNS Cache was not up to date.
    • Corrupted Systems Files
    • Corrupted HD drives
    • External HD need time to wake up
    • Corrupted Video/Audio files which explorer is busy trying to build the thumb nails
    • etc...

It resolved by itself because the DNS was updated.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delay on file explorer operations of about 2 to 3 seconds - Similar Threads - Delay file explorer

2. Up to 14 second delay opening folders in File Explorer in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Up to 14 second delay opening folders in File Explorer in Windows 11.: Concerning Windows 11, it is stunning the length of delay in opening folders, whether slowly or quickly, in File Explorer. Often, the warning, 'Not Responding' appears in the Task Manager for 'Windows Explorer'. Is there a checklist somewhere that can help troubleshoot the...
  3. typing 2 of the same letter and 3 second delay in backspacing to remove letters.

in Windows 10 Customization
    typing 2 of the same letter and 3 second delay in backspacing to remove letters.: I stupidly added a function that does not allow me to type two of the same letters without a 3 second delay. It prevents typing more than one letter character at a time. it's driving me nuts, especially since my last name has double letters and I'm a fairly fast typer. I...
  4. Computer freezes for 2-3 seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer freezes for 2-3 seconds: Hello Everyone, My computer freezes for 2-3 seconds from time to time, then it goes on working normally. This is quite annoying. The computer is just a few days old! Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thanks in advance. 161752
  5. bluetooth headphone sound starts after 2 to 3 seconds delay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    bluetooth headphone sound starts after 2 to 3 seconds delay: This problem happens whenever something tries to play a "new" sound for exemple when I watch a Youtube video the first 2 to 3 seconds of the video would always run with no sound, but when i rewind and rewatch them it works fine, another exemple with windows sound effects like...
  6. File operations plagued by delayed response/lag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File operations plagued by delayed response/lag: A few days ago, my PC started behaving a bit odd. Whenever I'd create/rename a folder, or move, rename, or delete a file, there would be a varying delay. If I move a file or delete something, it does it immediately, but then it shows a progress window for a few seconds. When...
  7. delay / lag every 2 seconds

delay / lag every 2 seconds: it's been almost a year since i got this laptop and its been happening ever since. whenever i use the mouse, touchpad or graphics tablet, it starts to lag for 2 seconds and it happens every 3-5 seconds. i've tried restarting the computer, cleaning out files, uninstalling and...
  8. Audio Drops out for 2-3 seconds when I move a file in File explorer

Audio Drops out for 2-3 seconds when I move a file in File explorer: It does not make any difference if it is in Windows Player 12 or when I listen to Audio in Youtube. It is more of an annoyance than an inconvenience. I have a HP Pavilion Series G7-1260Us. I know a dinosaur. 4gb Ram 640 Drive C Hard drive. Intel Core I-3@ 2330 CPU @ 2.20Ghz....
  9. 2 seconds sound delay. Power saving?

2 seconds sound delay. Power saving?: Hi guys, I have the following sound problem on my newly installed Windows 10. When I don't use audio on my PC, meaning not watching any videos or listening to music, let's say, reading an article - it seems that my sound card goes to sleep after a few minutes. Then, I try...
  10. Laptop Freezes Every few seconds for 2-3 seconds.

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Freezes Every few seconds for 2-3 seconds.: Hello. I need Help Regarding my Laptop Freezing Problem. My Laptop Hardware. Intel Core i7 4510U 2.0 GHZ 1TB HDD 8GB RAM Intel Build in graphics card Windows 10 Home x64bit My Issue is that my computer is keep Freezing for two or 3 seconds or some time more....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File Explorer refresh delays

2. file explorer delays