Windows 10: Delayed Shutdown After Update

Discus and support Delayed Shutdown After Update in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On rare occasions when trying to shutdown a computer after a Windows Update, instead of shutting down, the computer will go into "Getting Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by johnpd, Aug 3, 2017.

1. johnpd Win User

Delayed Shutdown After Update

On rare occasions when trying to shutdown a computer after a Windows Update, instead of shutting down, the computer will go into "Getting Windows Ready, Don't turn off your computer" display. This might occur when shutting down maybe an hour or less after installing the update and could last in excess of 15 minutes. Normally you would receive this after installing an update as it goes through the process of finishing the installation. But the update installation had completed well before the attempt to shutdown and this shutdown delay never shows that it actually updates anything, as after that period of time it just shutdowns. This has happened on four different computers, again rarely. I originally thought it had something to do with Windows Defender until it just occurred on one that had a 3rd party AV. I have no idea what it is doing during this period and can be a nuisance. I have attached some event logs which don't seem to say much but may help.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Aug 3, 2017

2. Delay in Shutdown Operation after Updating to Anniversary Update

After updating to Anniversary Update, 14393 version 1601, all 3 of my Windows 10 desktops have a 5-7 minute delay in shutting down. The monitor, keyboard, and mouse shut down like normal, but the system Hard Drive keeps running for 5-7 minutes before
    it will finally shutdown. shutdown was fine before the Anniversary Update. Is this shutdown process normal or needs to be fixed by the Windows 10 Brain Trust?

VietVetF4Drvr, Aug 3, 2017
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Delay in Shutdown Operation after Updating to Anniversary Update

Hi,

I suggest you to boot the Desktop system in Clean Boot and check if the problem exists.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Aug 3, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

This will be when the update involved a significant cumulative update of the system that requires a restart to finish. If you did not initiate the restart yourself then the PC will automatically do it the next time you shutdown.

philc43, Aug 3, 2017
  5. johnpd Win User
    I did initiate the restart immediately when requested.

JohnD

johnpd, Aug 4, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Sorry, I had misunderstood, I cannot explain the reason, it can be useful to check "reliability history" and see what has happened in such circumstances. There is a tutorial on this you can view if needed.

philc43, Aug 4, 2017
  7. johnpd Win User
    There is not much in the Reliability History. It lists "svchost.exe_AppReadiness stopped working" at about the same time the update was applied. Those are the only two entries for that day. Occasionally I see errors of something having stopped working when updates go in. As I said, I have seen this occur on 3 or 4 systems when I try to shut them down after doing a cumulative update and the update had been fully applied and restarted. There is no way you can tell what it is doing because you no longer have access to the system when it is doing this.

JohnD

johnpd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delayed Shutdown After Update - Similar Threads - Delayed Shutdown Update

2. gvrBackgroundWindows3 delays shutdown 1/28/24

in Windows 10 Gaming
    gvrBackgroundWindows3 delays shutdown 1/28/24: I am running Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Lattitude 5530. I just experienced this for the first time. I have had this computer since April 2023 with no issues. This is sudden and unexpected. I saw the 2015 thread with this issue. I have System Mechanic, but I have had it on this...
  3. Delayed shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delayed shutdown: Hello! Recently, an issue with my Windows 11 installation has arised. When I click on the shutdown button nothing happens and my computer idles normally. After 3-5 minutes the shutdown gets initiated and the computer turns off. I replaced my motherboard and the issue stopped,...
  4. Delayed shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delayed shutdown: Hello! Recently, an issue with my Windows 11 installation has arised. When I click on the shutdown button nothing happens and my computer idles normally. After 3-5 minutes the shutdown gets initiated and the computer turns off. I replaced my motherboard and the issue stopped,...
  5. Shutdown after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shutdown after update: Hello, After installing KB4517389 update which contains Intel drivers, my laptop (Dell Latitude E6220) shutdowns every 30 minutes. It happens too when I enter the BIOS and leave it during 30 minutes. The update has left my laptop unusable. I reinstalled Windows,...
  6. Delay in shutdown Caps Lock in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Delay in shutdown Caps Lock in Windows 10: Hello, Caps Lock is on, When I press the Caps Lock button on the keyboard to turn off it, I have a delay (more than one minute) in shutdown Caps Lock. ( Caps Lock turn off a one-minute later) Is this a hardware or software problem? Thanks...
  7. Delaying Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delaying Updates: Hello Due to recent 'rumours' I took the decision to stop updates and using Windows Pro this gives the option of delaying them for some time. the OS build I am currently at is =Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 OS Build 17134.345. I have like mentioned paused the...
  8. Computer shutdown after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer shutdown after update: Can someone please explain why Microsoft insists on shutting down people's computers after an update????? In which universe will people want a "service" to make one lose work and cause software to corrupt because of a forced shutdown? Give people the ability to shut down...
  9. Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown Button Delay & Long Shutdowns: Hello, I've been researching this issue I'm experiencing but I haven't come across anything that has helped. Issue: Click on the start menu > Power > Shutdown. Computer does not immediately shut down. I can continue to do tasks for about 30seconds. The computer...
  10. Shutdown delay

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown delay: When I select "shut down" on my W10 desktop PC, the monitor darkens immediately, but the power light remains on and the disc activity flashes intermittently for 10 seconds to three minutes. What is the PC doing? Why doesn't this happen with my W10 Surface tablet? Any...