Windows 10: Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

Discus and support Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours' in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, with the anniversary upgrade, an active hours period of up to 12 hours is provided, after which, assuming one's PC is on, it will restart if so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dalchina, Aug 23, 2016.

1. dalchina New Member

Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

Hi, with the anniversary upgrade, an active hours period of up to 12 hours is provided, after which, assuming one's PC is on, it will restart if so required for a Windows update.

I realised that programs such as 'Don't Sleep' which optionally block shutdown, hibernate, sleep, may actually be useful in overcoming this restriction.

Would this be likely to work or would an update related restart overcome that? Are there any other options?

I'll try it when I can.

:)

dalchina, Aug 23, 2016

2. Windows Upgrade, Win10. How to Turn On the Day/Time option to perform Update Download&Install?

Enable active hours and restart options. This will give you the option to delay pending updates up to a certain time when then download.

When Windows Updates are downloaded during active hours, it will show Restart to complete updates in Windows Updates, thats when you can change Restart options.

How to Manage Windows Update with Active Hours Feature

Andre Da Costa, Aug 23, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Forced Windows Update

The updates are not 'forced.' They are part of Windows 10. They're not optional extras that you can choose to install or not.

Windows 10 includes many ways to manage updates. The first of these is by setting Active Hours, which tell Windows when you are normally active on the computer. You can set aside up to 18 hours to be designated 'active' during which time Windows will not
    restart to install an update.

If you are still actively using your computer outside of active hours, Windows will prompt you to save your work before restarting. At the same time, you can reschedule the restart to a time more convenient for you.

With the Professional version of Windows 10 you have even more control: You can delay feature upgrades for months at a time, while bug fixes and security updates can also be delayed for a shorter period of time (up to 7 days IIRC.)

BulldogXX, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

Try those settings, they supposedly worked on previous version, not sure about AU, I do not use WU, so I can not test it.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

Configure Automatic Updates using Registry Editor

TairikuOkami, Aug 23, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, I'll have a look..

I can now confirm that using 'Don't Sleep' (a tiny freeware program to optionally block sleep/restart/shut down) does mean that your PC will not restart even with a restart pending for a Windows update outside the 'active hours' period which is limited to 12 hours max in Settings.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours'

1. Delaying restart for updates beyond 'active hours' - Similar Threads - Delaying restart updates

2. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  3. Active Hours for Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Hours for Restarts: I tried to change the hours the computer won't automatically restart after an update. I can't change it. I click, nothing changes. Yeah, I can click on 11 p.m., but it doesn't actually change it. MS has it set for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. This is beyond troubling. Last thing I need...
  4. Update to KB5004296 hung at20% for 4 hours. Restarting now gives long delays in starting...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update to KB5004296 hung at20% for 4 hours. Restarting now gives long delays in starting...: PC : Asus 270AR , i7 7700K KL at 4.2GHz, 32GB 3200MHz RAM , GPU: MSI RTX 2080Ti 11GB with latest Studio driver, Mon: LG 32GN550 165/1mS Nvidea Compatible DV connectOpsys WIN10 PRO 64 bit Build 2021.07.30.22939317Current installed updates: Feature U/D Ver 21H1 8/7/2021Quality...
  5. How to extend MS updates delay to beyond 35 days.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to extend MS updates delay to beyond 35 days.: After a messed up 20H2 update, and reverting back to 1909, I found a way to extend the updates delay to beyond the 35 days, I have mine set now to 8/29/2025 so that it never updates until that date, which means I can control what updates are installed and when. Right now,...
  6. How to extend MS updates delay to beyond 35 days.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to extend MS updates delay to beyond 35 days.: After a messed up 20H2 update, and reverting back to 1909, I found a way to extend the updates delay to beyond the 35 days, I have mine set now to 8/29/2025 so that it never updates until that date, which means I can control what updates are installed and when. Right now,...
  7. Active Hours for Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Active Hours for Updates: I have a very specific set of requirements for the Active Hours designated for restarts after Updates to Win10. Without going into the reasons for why I wish to have extended and very specific hours for the management of restarts following an automatic update, I wonder if...
  8. Installing Updates and Restarting During my Active Hours?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Updates and Restarting During my Active Hours?: I have Active hours listed as 9 am to 8 pm. Why is Microsoft installing updates and restarting my laptop at 2:39 PM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-updates-and-restarting-during-my-active/37cc6701-5cef-40b9-aee4-b067801764bc
  9. Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Active Hours and Stop Automatic Restarting: My laptop is often left in my work bag overnight, or other places where having said laptop running for hours is not convenient or downright bad for the system. If I get hoe from work and I don't use the laptop that evening, it stays in my backpack all night. There have been...
  10. Active Hours/Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Active Hours/Update?: I don't know if the anniversary update fixed it more, but I've heard people have had Windows 10, restart automatically and reboot after installing certain updates, like when they're in the middle of doing things. I can't say it's actually happened to me. Not that I'm aware...