Windows 10: Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 How to Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 A font is a graphical representation of text... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 24, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

How to: Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

How to Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design.

In Windows 10, you can install a font for only your account (current user) or for all users on the PC.

This tutorial will show you how to delete and uninstall fonts in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Delete Fonts in Fonts Folder
    • Option Two: Delete Fonts in Settings
    • Option Three: Delete Fonts Installed from Microsoft Store in Settings
    • Option Four: Delete Fonts Installed for All Users in Registry Editor
    • Option Five: Delete Fonts Installed Only for Current User in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Delete Fonts in Fonts Folder
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Open the C:\Windows\Fonts folder in File Explorer.

3. Perform one of the following actions below for which font or font family you want to delete: (see screenshots below)
    A) Select a font you want to delete, and either click/tap on the Delete button on the toolbar or press the Delete key.

B) Select a font family (ex: "Agency FB") you want to delete all fonts for, and either click/tap on the Delete button on the toolbar or press the Delete key.

C) Open a font family (ex: "Agency FB") that contains a font (ex: "Agency FB Regular") you want to delete, select the font (ex: "Agency FB Regular") you want to delete, and either click/tap on the Delete button on the toolbar or press the Delete key.

Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm deleting the font(s). (see screenshots below)

5. If this is a font installed for all users, you will now be prompted by administrator credentials if currently signed in as a standard user.

6. When finished deleting fonts, you can close the Fonts folder if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Delete Fonts in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Fonts on the left side, and click/tap on a font (ex: "Agency FB") you want to delete on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. If this is a font family with more than one font face, select the font face (ex: "Regular") you want to delete in the drop menu. (see screenshot below step 4)

4. Click/tap on the Uninstall button. (see screenshot below)

*Warning If this is a font installed from the Microsoft Store, this will delete all font faces for the font no matter which font face you selected.

5. Click/tap on Uninstall to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6. If this is a font installed for all users, you will now be prompted by administrator credentials if currently signed in as a standard user.

7. When finished deleting fonts, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Delete Fonts Installed from Microsoft Store in Settings
    *note This option will only apply to fonts you installed from the Microsoft Store.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Apps icon.

2. Under Apps & features on the right side, click/tap on a font (ex: "Arial Nova") you want to delete, and click/tap on Uninstall. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Uninstall to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished uninstalling fonts installed from the Microsoft Store, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Delete Fonts Installed for All Users in Registry Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

3. In the right pane of the Fonts key, right click on the font (ex: "Agency FB Bold (TrueType)") you want to delete, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot above)

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished deleting fonts, close Registry Editor.

6. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Delete Fonts Installed Only for Current User in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

3. In the right pane of the Fonts key, right click on the string value for the font (ex: "Agency FB Bold (TrueType)") you want to delete, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot above)

*Warning Be sure to make note of the font file name (ex: "AGENCY8.TIF") you are deleting before you delete the string value.

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished deleting fonts, close Registry Editor.

6. sign in again to the same account.

7. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

8. Copy and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter.

9. Delete the same font(s) (ex: "AGENCY8.TIF") referenced from step 3 above. (see screenshot below)

10. You can now close File Explorer if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 24, 2018

2. how to delete an in use font on windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

I would like to know some information.

• What is the exact issue that you are facing?

• Do you want to delete the current font?

Follow the steps given below.

• Open Fonts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.

• Click the font that you want to uninstall. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold down CTRL while you click each font.

• On the File menu, click Delete.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Oct 27, 2019
  3. spunk Win User
    spunk, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

Deleting non-Latin fonts in Windows 10 Home

Thanks for the suggestion, but, sadly, it does not. In addition, I have gone to the Font Management setting and followed Microsoft's directions explicitly. Win 10 will NOT let me delete any installed font (except ones that I have installed myself), and it will NOT let me hide any font at all. The 'Hide' setting says it will hide the font from applications, but EVERY application that offers a choice of fonts, whether from Microsoft (Office, Word, Wordpad, Notepad, etc.) or third parties (such as OpenOffice) shows ALL the fonts listed in the Font Management listing. Every. Single. One.

There was a script for removing the non-Latin fonts from Win 7 that automated the process. That script does not work in Win 10. Is there one that does?

Thanks in advance for any help/

Bookbear1948, Oct 27, 2019
  5. spunk Win User
    Fonts Will Not Uninstall

Did you look at the link for Deleting Fonts in post #2? it suggests going into the Windows Registry to delete them there

spunk, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Geethu B Win User
    Unable to delete/uninstall a otf

Hi Malathy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with deleting fonts. I appreciate your efforts,
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know what happens when you try to delete the fonts? Do you get any error message?

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect font’s settings or conflict between third party applications.

I suggest you to perform a clean boot and try to delete the fonts again. Check if it helps.

Step 1:

To perform a clean boot follow the link. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Warning:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup
    mode.

Step 2:

Now follow the steps to delete the fonts:

• Click on Start Button.

• Type Preview, delete or show and hide the fonts installed on your computer in the search box.

• Open that Window and select fonts you want to delete one by one.

• Right-click on the fonts and select
      delete.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10

1. Delete and Uninstall Fonts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete Uninstall Fonts

2. Windows keeps uninstalling fonts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keeps uninstalling fonts: I want to use the JetBrains font for my terminal. It's at https://www.nerdfonts.com/font-downloadsWhat happens:Whenever I shut down and reopen my pc and open the terminal, this error message pops up: Unable to find the selected font 'JetBrainsMono Nerd Font' Consolas has been...
  3. Windows keeps uninstalling fonts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keeps uninstalling fonts: I want to use the JetBrains font for my terminal. It's at https://www.nerdfonts.com/font-downloadsWhat happens:Whenever I shut down and reopen my pc and open the terminal, this error message pops up: Unable to find the selected font 'JetBrainsMono Nerd Font' Consolas has been...
  4. Font will not uninstall

in Windows 10 Customization
    Font will not uninstall: I have a font that seems to be "stuck" in my system. I've uninstalled the font family Open Sans but two of them still remain. They do not show up in the Control Panel font section, but they do show up as an option to use in apps. They seem to display correctly, at least...
  5. Uninstalling a font that can't be uninstalled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uninstalling a font that can't be uninstalled: [ATTACH] Hello, I've got a font that I can't seem to be able to delete. It appears in Settings > Fonts, but there is no uninstall button next to it. And it doesn't appear in C:/Windows/Fonts and neither in the registry list, it's like the font doesn't exist, but yet it's...
  6. Unable to uninstall font

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to uninstall font: I installed a font HelveticaNeue-BlackItalic.otf the other day, and recently noticed that text on multiple websites had been replaced by this font. I tried to uninstall it through both windows settings and the control panel, but I recieved an error message that said the...
  7. Uninstalling a font.

Uninstalling a font.: I'm trying to uninstall a font that I downloaded that is not rendering correctly. it says it is 'in use' or 'open in System'. I have tried various methods including the Registry Editor - the font is not there. Please help....
  8. Help uninstalling fonts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help uninstalling fonts: Hello, I want to uninstall some custom fonts but I can't because they are "in use." I have tried 1) the unticking the details pane "trick" (doesn't work) 2) looking for the fonts in regedit (very few fonts beyond the default are listed there...might this be part of the...
  9. Can't delete fonts in window 10

Can't delete fonts in window 10: how can i delete ???[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-delete-fonts-in-window-10/f6adc0cc-36ef-49f6-ae4b-b0c240c102c9
  10. Fonts Will Not Uninstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Fonts Will Not Uninstall: Adobe Photoshop is so slow that it is unusable and i am 90% sure it is because i have a lot of fonts. So i deleted them from my windows font folder. But they refuse to go away. the fonts still appear and are still usable in gIMP and Photoshop. So deleted every single...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to uninstall fonts in win 10 except system fonts