Windows 10: Delete File History files

Discus and support Delete File History files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rboppy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

Delete File History files

Just started running file history, seems like it might be a good feature. It backed up a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary and its seems to be a hassle to delete them, is there any easy way?

I backup to a folder on an Ubuntu computer through my home network. Even as I write this I'm deleting a folder with ~5000 items, it says its going to take over 3 hours, when that happens I go down a layer and start deleting folder from there. Oops, after about 5 minutes, up pops "Could not find this item", check "Do this for all current items", then click Skip, another 20 seconds or so it's done.

Any ideas?

Jim

:)

rboppy, Apr 29, 2016
  2. CJ4444 Win User

File History Win 10 - Delete Old File History Files?

After copying my old file history files to a new file history drive as part of switching file history to a new drive, can I delete all of the (old) file history folders and files off of that old drive?

CJ4444, Apr 29, 2016
  3. Geethu B Win User
    File History Win 10 - Delete Old File History Files?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with selecting a new drive and moving File History files to it.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

Along with what Donald Banarld124
    has suggested, you may also refer the following additional information.

If you are selecting a new drive and moving your files to it, it will have both your existing files and the new files when you eventually add to it. Refer the articles for additional information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Note: Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Apr 29, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

fdegrove, Apr 29, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks, that may work in the future, but it won't let me delete individual files.

Jim

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete File History files - Similar Threads - Delete File History

2. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  3. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History - removal of deleted files: In the "Delete older versions of files and folders" dialog which I'm not able to insert, despite saving the image as a file the prompt says that:"All other files and folders, such as versions that were excluded or removed from your libraries, are also deleted."What does this...
  4. File History - removal of deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it safe to delete old File History files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete old File History files?: My External drive is busting with old File History images, at least 3 different versions of my PC when it had different names/images.Can I delete old ones?Some old sites say you can delete it all and just run one now, but don'T I need my old versions if I do a recovery to an...
  6. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  7. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage leaving me with none on that drive without deleting other files, and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created...
  8. Deleting File History backups

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting File History backups: I turned on file history for a moment and it started backing up my files, before I realized what it backed up, it took about 12GB of my storage and I cannot figure out how to delete the backup that was created so I can get my storage back...
  9. deleting file history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleting file history: I have run out of space on my external hard drive G. can I delete file history which is taking up 733GB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-history/19d79f35-fea8-4e86-b9e7-79edc1f69b5b
  10. File History - Deleting Entries

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - Deleting Entries: File History Can I delete current individual Document entries in File History and still have File History work properly for future listings and maintain my old listings? Another tech forum said: "File History keeps a database of all the files backed up. Since you...