Windows 10: Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 [img] Information The $GetCurrent folder is a hidden folder that is created in the root directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10

How to: Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10

Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The $GetCurrent folder is a hidden folder that is created in the root directory of the C drive during the upgrade process.

The $GetCurrent folder contains log files about the last Windows 10 upgrade process, and may also contain the installation files for that update. The $GetCurrent folder can take up around 3.38 GB or so of space if it does contain leftover Windows Update installation files. Otherwise, it would only be around a small 192 KB in size.

If you don’t need to review the log files and have successfully finished installing the latest Windows Update, you can safely delete the $GetCurrent folder.

This tutorial will show you how to safely delete the $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to delete the $GetCurrent folder.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Delete $GetCurrent Folder in File Explorer
    • Option Two: To Delete $GetCurrent Folder in Elevated Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: $GetCurrent folder

OPTION ONE [/i] To Delete $GetCurrent Folder in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. If you haven't already, you will need to click/tap on the View tab, and check the Hidden items box in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

3. Open the Windows C: drive, right click or press and hold on the $GetCurrent folder, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

4. If prompted, click/tap on Continue to approve.

5. If you like, you can uncheck the Hidden items box in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

6. By default, the $GetCurrent folder will be moved to the Recycle Bin. When ready, you can empty the Recycle Bin to permanently delete the $GetCurrent folder.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Delete $GetCurrent Folder in Elevated Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow RD /S /Q "C:\$GetCurrent"
    3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 13, 2018
  2. Jeddie Win User

$GetCurrent folder - Can I delete

My windows.old folder disappeared today. From what I have read this is expected behaviour.
    But folder $GetCurrent is still there?
    I tried Disk Cleanup, but, there is no option for 'Previous windows installations'?

So can I delete $GetCurrent folder? If so how? Right click> delete?

Jeddie, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 26, 2019
  5. DaveM121 Win User
    Safe to Delete this Folder?

HiJames

Yes that folder is safe to delete, it is left over form a Windows 10 Upgrade and not required by your system

The 3 common folders you may find after a Windows Upgrade are listed below and they can always be deleted safely after the upgrade completes:

$GetCurrent

$WINDOWS.~BT

$Windows.~WS

DaveM121, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Delete $GetCurrent folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete $GetCurrent folder

2. Can i delete the %Getcurrent folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i delete the %Getcurrent folder?: [IMG] is it safe for me to delete this folder? trying to free unnecessary space and most of what i read online said it's safe to delete, but is it really? submitted by /u/Psychological_Ad3906 [link] [comments]...
  3. Related to $getcurrent folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Related to $getcurrent folder: hi i was searching to clean up my system storage so i found i have $getcurrent folder of 4GB so is it safe to delete https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/related-to-getcurrent-folder/8d9ba9ec-3536-4ace-8361-211a3cc58921
  4. Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete

Windows 10 deleted parent folder of folder I was trying to delete: When I tried to delete a folder, Windows 10 instead deleted the Parent folder of the folder I tried to delete. I think I mouse clicked on the folder I wanted, right clicked, and chose "delete". Perhaps, I selected the file and then hit the delete key on the keyboard....
  5. Windows 10 email - deleting folders, deleting emails from folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 email - deleting folders, deleting emails from folders: Windows 10 email has deleted all my folder from my mail. I re-added a number of folder which are all still there but now the emails that have been put in there have been deleted also. It is doing this by itself... Help...
  6. Can't Delete Folder In Windows 10

Can't Delete Folder In Windows 10: I am logged into my Windows 10 machine as a local user with administrator rights. I created a folder and worked on some files in it and now I want to delete the folder, but Windows 10 won't let me. It says I need permission to perform this action from DESKTOP-TEM8GGA\Kim...
  7. Delete Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete Folder in Windows 10: How to: Delete Folder in Windows 10 How to Delete a Folder in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete a folder in Windows 10. *Warning Deleting a folder will also delete all contents inside the folder. *note Deleting a folder from a...
  8. $getcurrent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    $getcurrent: I just deleted this folder as I didn't recognize it and it had a relatively new creation date. and I removed it from the recycle bin. am I going to have a problem with it, and any idea what it is related to. 74979
  9. Deleting Folder from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Folder from Windows 10: Good Morning, and Happy Easter There is a folder on the desktop of my wife's windows 10 PC that I cannot delete, If I left click on the folder, entitled Mirror Image, message says folder empty, but if I right click on the folder then left click on properties it shows...
  10. $GetCurrent folder - Can I delete

in Windows 10 Support
    $GetCurrent folder - Can I delete: My windows.old folder disappeared today. From what I have read this is expected behaviour. But folder $GetCurrent is still there? I tried Disk Cleanup, but, there is no option for 'Previous windows installations'? So can I delete $GetCurrent folder? If so how? Right...