Windows 10: Delete:How to prevent windows from turning on hard drives to restart?

Discus and support Delete:How to prevent windows from turning on hard drives to restart? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; edit: nevermind found answer while looking for something totally unrelated. Wonder why search didnt find it. Ca sara sara I have 2 external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mcgarrett, Oct 3, 2015.

1. mcgarrett Win User

Delete:How to prevent windows from turning on hard drives to restart?

edit: nevermind found answer while looking for something totally unrelated. Wonder why search didnt find it. Ca sara sara

I have 2 external hard drives that are always on but in sleep mode until I need them.

I want to be able to have windows NOT power them on when restarting.

Is there a way to do this?

BTW, hibernate is turned off. *Huh

:)

mcgarrett, Oct 3, 2015
  2. Frank1100 Win User

How to prevent Win10 from turning on by itself ?

ok thx, will try that. Was hoping though the Microsoft Support Engineers could pull the solution for sure out of their respective employment.

Frank1100, Oct 3, 2015
  3. How to prevent Win10 from turning on by itself ?

Hello Frank,

Thank you for your response.

This is because of the Windows updates, If there are any updates needs to be installed the system wakes up from hibernation and will install the updates.

Check if the same issue persists if you put the system to sleep mode.

Please post to us to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 3, 2015
  4. Banzi Win User

Glad you got it sorted, could you post the solution here as well so myself & others can stop this happening?

Banzi, Oct 3, 2015
  5. mcgarrett Win User
    There is no way to do so since Windows check to see if anything is going to be written to the drives before loggin off.

mcgarrett, Oct 4, 2015
  6. Banzi Win User
    Cheers for the reply, pity as it slows down rebooting the PC a startup a bit.

Banzi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete:How to prevent windows from turning on hard drives to restart? - Similar Threads - Delete prevent turning

2. How to prevent windows from starting unmounted drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent windows from starting unmounted drive?: I have a dualboot desktop computer with 2 SDDs and one HDD, one of the SDDs is for Windows 10, the other one for Debian Linux.The HDD is used solely for Linux and all partitions are formatted for ext4. But Windows briefly starts this HDD at least once per hour.Is there a way...
  3. How to prevent windows from starting unmounted drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent windows from starting unmounted drive?: I have a dualboot desktop computer with 2 SDDs and one HDD, one of the SDDs is for Windows 10, the other one for Debian Linux.The HDD is used solely for Linux and all partitions are formatted for ext4. But Windows briefly starts this HDD at least once per hour.Is there a way...
  4. How to prevent windows from starting unmounted drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to remove deleted files from hard drive capacity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to remove deleted files from hard drive capacity: Hi. New to forum. Not sure if question has been answered, but ... I bought a new Windows 10 computer a few months ago, and was so pleased to see my 500 GB SSD drive with so much free space. I wanted to keep it that way, so whenever I downloaded a program or file and...
  6. deleting files from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    deleting files from external hard drive: trying to delete and getting error code 0*80070570, what does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-from-external-hard-drive/8390b5f9-4abf-4ff3-aa8d-29caf58d76e1"
  7. How can I prevent windows 10 from adding email downloads to the hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I prevent windows 10 from adding email downloads to the hard drive: How can I prevent windows 10 from adding email downloads to the hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-prevent-windows-10-from-adding-email/1f0e7777-20de-4706-b8b4-c17e86c22604
  8. How to *RECOVER* DELETED files from hard-drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to *RECOVER* DELETED files from hard-drive: Hi all, Accidentally ran the following command prompt, the purge switch seems removed all my files a level up on folder, robocopy D:\X-folder G:\Y-folder\ /s /purge /xj /np /tee /r:0 /w:0 /mt:32 /xf desktop.ini /log:logbkup_x240_downloads.txt Any suggestion for recovery...
  9. Moving files from hard drive to another - How to prevent duplicates?

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving files from hard drive to another - How to prevent duplicates?: I need to move files (mostly pictures and videos) from an hard drive pulled from an older Windows 7 machine to a backup external drive (using Windows 10) There are some files on the pulled HDD that are also on the backup drive, but they are all mixed, so I can't just copy...
  10. deleted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleted hard drive: I was at first delighted to be offered the win 10 download but like many I hate it, I downloaded it to three machines two on win 7 one running win 8.1, the laptop with 8.1 was the first to suffer having its hard drive wiped after a win 10 update, then my pc that was on win 7...