Windows 10: Delete local user account or change default account on start up

Discus and support Delete local user account or change default account on start up in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove. I have tried the usual user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by kiwi, Sep 4, 2016.

1. kiwi Win User

Delete local user account or change default account on start up

I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove.

I have tried the usual user modification menus but this account does not show up. It is annoying to have to go through this false log in every time I start the computer.

Help?

:)

kiwi, Sep 4, 2016

2. Cr@p Mail App

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

You cannot delete a default mail account which has been set with the mail app while logged in using a Microsoft account.

In order to do that you have to change the Microsoft account to a Local account and try to delete the mail account.

Please try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Right click on the windows start menu and select the control panel
    • Select the user accounts and then click make changes to my account in PC settings.
    • Change the Microsoft user account to Local user account by signing in to a Microsoft account.
    • Then go to the mail app and you will see the delete option.
    • change back your Local user account to Microsoft user account after it done.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Sep 4, 2016
  3. ddigger Win User
    Is there a way to change my default microsoft account linked with my Windows 10 PC?

Windows+I opens Settings\Accounts, but there is no Change PC Settings\Users option showing. There's an option to "sign in with a local account instead", but no option to make the default account a local account. In my case, I'd like to simply delete the
    default sign-in account (one of my MS accounts) and register with the second of my MS accounts. Thanks.

ddigger, Sep 4, 2016
  4. Vesao Win User

Press WIN + R keys to open the Run. Type netplwiz and hit Enter. From there you can select your account and click Delete.

Vesao, Sep 4, 2016
  5. kiwi Win User
    Unfortunately the only account that shows up there is the admin account.
    yet when I start the computer it attempts to log in under a local user account I created to avoid having to login each time. Then I decided to go back to the admin account because I didn't like the local user system either. But for some reason it attempts to log into the local user account first and comes up with an incorrect password, then I have to select the admin user to get in.

kiwi, Sep 4, 2016
  6. Vesao Win User
    Vesao, Sep 4, 2016
  7. kiwi Win User
    Almost!
    I found the user, but Windows in their great wisdom won't let me delete it.
    Is there a way to stop it attempting to log in there as default?
    Screen shot of the users listed.
    Delete local user account or change default account on start up [​IMG]

kiwi, Sep 4, 2016
  8. Vesao Win User

The Guest account is a built-in user, and you can disable it by running this command:
    Code: net user Guest /active:no[/quote] After disabling, reboot your PC and it will disappear from your login screen.

Vesao, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete local user account or change default account on start up - Similar Threads - Delete local user

2. Prompt local user account to change their default password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prompt local user account to change their default password?: Windows 10 settings, Accounts, Family & Other Users, Add someone else to this PC. I create a new account with "I don't have this person's email", so it's just a local account.Is there a way that I can force it to prompt the user to change their local password when they first...
  3. Change default log in screen to local user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change default log in screen to local user account: [ATTACH] Hello, I need help on changing the default log in screen using Windows 10 Pro. By default, Windows 10 will display on the log in screen the last user account that used the computer before shutdown. In my case, I want the log in screen to display the administrator...
  4. Local User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local User Account: Hi, I have a problem that I cant delete my other local user account, already perform Setting > Account > Family and other user > remove account But still the user appear, appreciate for the help, thanks...
  5. local user account

local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  6. Changing to a local user account.

Changing to a local user account.: Hey guys, I am thinking of changing to a local user account. My main questions is, when there is a windows update (1809 to 1903) would my personal settings be still there when i upgrade or will I have to redo my settings? Also, if I change to a local account, would that...
  7. My default user account has been deleted, How can I change my default user account to...

My default user account has been deleted, How can I change my default user account to...: Hi. So a long time ago the default account I was using for this PC for some reason has turned completely black and there was only an error showing on the screen. My brother and I didn't find a solution anywhere for fixing it, So he decided to delete it. Then I started to...
  8. Local Account user appears and will not delete

Local Account user appears and will not delete: I received an email from Eset security that a 'phantom' account was created and when I logged on my computer I see an account user named JQ was created and I have deleted it several times and it keeps coming back. Can you please assist as I am afraid my computer is under...
  9. Delete Default User Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Delete Default User Accounts: The attached shows 3 Default-related users in my Users folder. Most of the folders are empty or lead to a long string of other folders, the last of which is empty. Some actual files exist, but would be meaningful only if the main Default folder is important. Can I delete any...
  10. Local Account Deleted

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account Deleted: I enabled hidden Administrator account and latter accidentally deleted my local account*Doh which caused me some data loss. I only care about videos which were there in downloads folder. Are there any chances of their recovery? Regards! 45654