Windows 10: Delete or format partition during clean install windows

Discus and support Delete or format partition during clean install windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys i just join this forum and today i've plan to clean install my PC well i kinda noob with this one and i like to ask some question. Once you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mikelferdinan, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Delete or format partition during clean install windows

Hey guys i just join this forum and today i've plan to clean install my PC well i kinda noob with this one and i like to ask some question. Once you get to the Custom (Advanced) tab of Windows 10 clean install there are options to delete the partition, format, etc. Which one should i choose format or delete ? Or maybe i can do both like first format then delete ? Whats your guys recommendation and what's the different ?
    Thanks in advance. Excuse my english.

:)

mikelferdinan, Jan 10, 2017
  2. Babu V Win User

D-Drive empty on Windows 10 clean install

Hi Tay,

I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

• On which partition was your Windows 10 operating system installed?

• When you perform a clean install, which partition did you select to install operating system?

• Did you format/delete any partitions during installation?

Babu V, Jan 10, 2017
  3. ThienRong Win User
    Thinkpad 8 Tablet Windows failed to start 0xc0000185 An unexpected error has occured.

Hi Sachin,

No, I cannot repair upgrade as I cannot even boot up due to the error. I could only boot from USB drive but the below does not work.

* Tried Repair PC, Reset, Startup Repair. All failed.

* Tried to delete partition during custom clean install and partition won't get deleted (ie. becomes unallocated space)

* Tried to format partition during custom clean install and get a 0x80070057 error and nothing happens

* Tried custom clean install on existing partition and it hangs at 62% preparing to copy files

Regards,

ThienRong, Jan 10, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

Delete or format partition during clean install windows

• Disconnect all other HD/SSD except the one you try to install Windows
    • Boot up Windows Installation media
    • On first screen, press SHIFT+F10 then type:
      diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    • Continue. Select the unallocated partition (Only one shown) then click next, windows will create all needed partitions.
    • Done.

topgundcp, Jan 10, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    There is no point in formatting a partition if you are just going to delete it.

Topguns instructions are precise, follow them to thoroughly wipe the drive.

The installer will make the necessary partitions.

Before you do anything, post a shot of Disk Management.

AddRAM, Jan 10, 2017
  6. So i just have to delete it without formating to make it unallocated right ?
    I kinda confuse because in some tutorial they do both or either.

mikelferdinan, Jan 10, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    If you want, it`s up to you.

If you already have the other small efi and recovery partitions you can just format your install partition so nothing gets carried over.

But if you want to wipe the entire drive clean, then delete the entire drive to unallocated space and click next.

As I`ve already said, you can`t format unallocated space, the installer will create the partitions and format them for you.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...n-install.html

AddRAM, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Avocado Win User

Step 1:

If the entire hard drive not show as unallocated space, then delete all partitions on the hard drive until it's unallocated (see screenshot below). Select a partition and click on the "Delete" option for each partition.

Delete or format partition during clean install windows [​IMG]

Step 2:

- Option 1:

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin. All the required partitions are created automatically during the install.

- Option 2:

Select the "New" and "Apply" buttons.

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin.

For more info about UEFI mode and Legacy BIOS mode, look at post #5 in this thread: Cant install Windows 10 because of GPT partition error message

Avocado, Jan 10, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    The good thing about deleting the partitions is that Windows 10 will create fresh, new System and Recovery partitions. They can get corrupted too, so if you are going to start with a fresh Windows 10 partition, might as well start with all fresh partitions.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete or format partition during clean install windows - Similar Threads - Delete format partition

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  4. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  5. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  6. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows could not format a partition during windows installation

Windows could not format a partition during windows installation: Due to some problems, I tried to clean install windows. After deleting all partitions when I clicked next, I got this error:Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the computer's system volume. Error code: 0x80070057.Then I tried to...
  8. Which partition can I delete during clean installation of Windows 10?

Which partition can I delete during clean installation of Windows 10?: While doing a clean install of windows 10, I get list of partition on my hard drive. I am too much confused as to which one should I delete to get a clean install of windows 10 and it gets activated automatically. Here is a screenshot of my disk management....
  9. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  10. Incorrect partitioning during clean install.

Incorrect partitioning during clean install.: Hey guys, I had to do a clean install windows 10 and I've never done it before. When it says where you would like to install windows I had 3 partitions and instead of deleting 3 of them to make one unallocated, I only deleted two and formatted the primary partition where I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it better to format recovery partition during windows clean install