Windows 10: Delete OS Partition on HDD

Discus and support Delete OS Partition on HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Redbatman, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

Delete OS Partition on HDD

Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone know how to do that here?

:)

Redbatman, Dec 29, 2017

2. Can't create partition. Windows MBR partition style

A HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is something you "buy". You cannot "create" a second Hdd. However, you can create additional
    partitions.

You currently have two used and one unused partitions. I would delete the unused partition, then recreate and format it.

Frederik Long, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Alex Ice Win User
    How to install Windows 10 on external hard disk partition ?

Hi everybody ! I tried to install Windows 10 , 64 bit on a "ext 4 partition" on an external usb HDD . This ext 4 partition was prepared and transformed (in other OS) as NTFS partition but it cannot be selected to install Windows 10 on it. I deleted this
    partition(in other OS) and now it apears as unallocated partition and i cannot create this partition in Windows 10 installation window and i cannot install Windows 10 on it . I buyed this external HDD because i want to install Windows and recover from Laptop
    Sata internal HDD to it . I know the betters programs to recover are dadicated to Windows . My actual OS is too complicated and i'm sure that i will buy Windows so soon and i think is better to test Windows 10 first. Can i make my external HDD be liked by
    Windows 10? What i have to do to install Windows 10 RTM or Preview on this external HDD Partition? Please i need your help!

Alex Ice, Dec 29, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Post a screenshot of disk management or another partition manager.

5. spunk Win User
    The easiest way to do this is to copy the files you want to keep onto an external HDD. Then format the old HDD that you want to keep, then move the files back to that newly formatted drive from the External. Any other options you try may accidentally delete data or the files may become corrupted.

spunk, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Redbatman Win User
    Also should I rename my HDD after I'm done installing my SSD?

Redbatman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete OS Partition on HDD - Similar Threads - Delete Partition HDD

2. Deleted partition on HDD while trying to adjust the partition size, the hdd now shows as...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted partition on HDD while trying to adjust the partition size, the hdd now shows as...: Some Info - I have two HDDs, both of them had unallocated space The issue is with HDD1I tried to expand the volume of a local disc in HDD1 using windows partition manager, in the options I selected all and it assigned the unallocated space of both HDDs to the specified...
  3. Deleted partition on HDD while trying to adjust the partition size, the hdd now shows as...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted partition on HDD while trying to adjust the partition size, the hdd now shows as...: Some Info - I have two HDDs, both of them had unallocated space The issue is with HDD1I tried to expand the volume of a local disc in HDD1 using windows partition manager, in the options I selected all and it assigned the unallocated space of both HDDs to the specified...
  4. Delete os file from my hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete os file from my hdd: i have installed new ssd to my device so need to remove os and software file. Have to make space, which all things need to be deleted in hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-os-file-from-my-hdd/de1c1966-eec1-4e1f-9b65-b8dd2a7c2535
  5. Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the whole OS partition on old HDD?: Hi! I bought a new SSD and cloned the OS from my HDD into it. I tried booting the computer without the HDD opened the computer, physically removed it and booted. It booted just fine but I noticed that the pathway for my apps is still C:/.... when the letter for the OS in...
  6. Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Delete cloned HDD partitions.: Hi, I cloned my HDD 320gb to a 1TB new one and planned to not use the 320 again. But can't boot from this new cloned HDDinsert boot media in select boot device and press a key. So I've been trying it again, with EaseUS Todo Backup Free and same thing happens. This disk...
  7. Delete Windows Partition on Second HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Delete Windows Partition on Second HDD?: HI so recently I changed my HDD for a SSD for my ASUS ROG laptop and now I'm using my HDD as for space for my games. Thing is that I want to delete the old windows partition on the HDD so I can have more room. What do I do? 138062
  8. Delete Windows Partition on Second HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows Partition on Second HDD?: HI so recently I changed my HDD for a SSD for my ASUS ROG laptop and now I'm using my HDD as for space for my games. Thing is that I want to delete the old windows partition on the HDD so I can have more room. What do I do? 138062
  9. Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd: Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if it can be avoided....
  10. Deleted OS Partition and Need Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted OS Partition and Need Help: Hello. I have an Acer laptop that had Windows 8 on it. We took the free upgrade to get to Windows 10 and tried it for a few months. Now I decided to try to install Windows 7 on it. I put the disc in the drive and booted. I deleted all partitions except for the data partition...