Windows 10: Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk)

Discus and support Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last night I wiped out my ASUS T100 tablet to clean install TH2. But there is a 7GB Recovery partition from Windows 8.1 that I can't get rid off using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by badrobot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. badrobot Win User

Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk)

Last night I wiped out my ASUS T100 tablet to clean install TH2. But there is a 7GB Recovery partition from Windows 8.1 that I can't get rid off using Diskpart.

Can someone please assist me?

Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) [​IMG]

:)

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  2. Johnny_55 Win User

Partitions and Windows Update issues caused by partition sizes...

Looking at the picture you posted, that is the normal setup on a GPT disk. On a MBR disk, the recovery partition is at the end so it can be merged with the c: partition.

GPT requires the two partitions in between so there really is not a way to merge the recovery partition to your c:

If this really bothers you the only way around this would be to change your GPT disk to MBR and keep a recovery DVD or flash card for re-installation.

Johnny_55, Nov 13, 2015
  3. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CDelete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CDelete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Nov 13, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

That's the old recovery partition from Windows 8.1.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well - it would appear to be some externally connected device such as a thumb drive or sdcard. I just looked at my wife's T100 and there are two disks listed - the internal memory, and the microSD card inserted.

It is also very strange the all three "disks" have 0 bytes free on them.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    Nope. As described under partition type, it is a Recovery partition. I don't have any external device connected except for the 64GB micro-SD which is the Disk 1 on the list. Maybe this recovery partition is separate from the built-in 32GB storage. You won't see it in file explorer but it's visible on Disk Management.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    How do you explain that all three "disks" have 0 bytes free?

What I would suggest is to make a Windows 10 Installation USB flash drive using the new Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. 32bit, 64 bit, or both - your choice - both would be most versatile. It will contain both Pro and Home versions. Remove the micro-SD card. All you should have connected to the tablet is the keyboard and the Windows 10 flash drive.

After clicking install now - select custom install. Attempt to delete all the partitions on the tablet from the next screen. Then install Windows 10 to the unallocated space.

Something is very weird on your diskpart result, though.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

I don't need to explain anything. That's how Diskpart sees it.

Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) [​IMG]

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    That's exactly what I did last night. I created the USB and manually deleted all partitions during installation but this one won't go away. So I skipped it and continue the installation thinking that I can remove it later.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    What I would suggest is to make a Windows 10 Installation USB flash drive using the new Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. 32bit, 64 bit, or both - your choice - both would be most versatile. It will contain both Pro and Home versions. Remove the micro-SD card. All you should have connected to the tablet is the keyboard and the Windows 10 flash drive.

After clicking install now - select custom install. Attempt to delete all the partitions on the tablet from the next screen. Then install Windows 10 to the unallocated space.

Something is very weird on your diskpart result, though.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  11. badrobot Win User
    I don't think there's an issue there. You can try Diskpart with your T100 and see if it's the same. Just copy the commands from my posted image above until "LIST DISK".

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    K. That's weird. My diskpart says 0 bytes free as well. I'm going to work on cleaning up my wife's tablet now, and let you know what I figure out.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

Do you also see Disk 2 or a recovery partition?

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  14. Geneo Win User
    Use free Partitionwizard. It can delete the partition.

Geneo, Nov 13, 2015
  15. topgundcp Win User
    0 bytes free output is the total unpartitioned space on each of the physical drives, not the free space in each logical volume

To see the free space in each volume:
    select disk #
    detail disk
    select volume #
    detail volume
    @badrobot
    Can you try clean instead of delete partition:
    select disk 2
    clean

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) - Similar Threads - Delete Protected Recovery

2. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  3. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  4. Sudden GPT Partition Protection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden GPT Partition Protection: I have a desktop running Windows 10, with all updates in place. In the middle of a simple task, my computer suddenly shut down. Turning it back on, the drive is now Grayed and no longer has a drive letter assigned. The grayed out area now shows GPT Partition Protection. I Can...
  5. Deleting disk partitions: "Healthy Recovery Partition" - which of these are okay to delete?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleting disk partitions: "Healthy Recovery Partition" - which of these are okay to delete?: I recently removed Ubuntu from an Ubuntu-Window dual boot to which I gave a portion of my disk.In the process of removing it, I discovered I had 4 other partitions other than the C:, taking up quite some space.I cannot tell which are the results/residues from the dual boot...
  6. Is there a way to clone a “protected GPT partition” harddrive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to clone a “protected GPT partition” harddrive?: Thanks submitted by /u/tonynca [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k63enb/is_there_a_way_to_clone_a_protected_gpt_partition/
  7. Deleting Linux partition with GPT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting Linux partition with GPT: How are the steps different for deleting a Linux partition if my windows is GPT? Can I simply delete the Linux partition and activate secure boot without problems? Could I then turn on fast startup? submitted by /u/RealisticInterest6 [link] [comments]...
  8. delete recovery partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    delete recovery partition: delete recovery partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/delete-recovery-partition/14446a8a-df85-41a2-b0aa-05686c1185d6
  9. Deleted Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Recovery Partition: I have an HP laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 weeks ago and tonight I accidentally reformatted my D: drive recovery partition. I have recovery media on a USB pen drive that I made back when I first set up my computer. Has Windows 10 changed...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...