Windows 10: Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows

Discus and support Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows How to Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows

How to: Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows

How to Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in Windows

Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows [​IMG]
    Information You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a remote device. When you allow remote desktop connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk.

If you checked the Remember me box in the Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) client when connecting to a computer remotely, the credentials for that computer will be saved by Windows to be used to automatically connect to this computer.

If you like, you can delete the saved credentials of a remote desktop connection to be asked for credentials when you connect to the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to delete the saved credentials of a Remote Desktop connection for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in RDC Client
    • Option Two: To Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in Credential Manager

EXAMPLE: Remote Desktop Connection asking to "Enter your credentials"

OPTION ONE [/i] To Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in RDC Client
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type mstsc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open the Remote Desktop Connection client.

2. Select the computer (ex: "192.168.1.133") you want to delete the saved credentials of, and click/tap on the delete link. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. The saved credentials of the selected computer will now be deleted. You will be asked for credentials whenever you connect to the selected computer. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close the Remote Desktop Connection client if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Delete Saved Credentials of a Remote Desktop Connection in Credential Manager
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Credential Manager icon.

2. Click/tap on Windows Credentials in Credential Manager. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Under the Windows Credentials section, click/tap on the TERMSRV entry (ex: "TERMSRV/192.168.1.133") for the RDC computer (ex: "192.168.1.133") you want to delete its credentials, and click/tap on the Remove link. (see screenshot below)

Note Be sure that the User name entry is for the correct account (ex: "Brink2").

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

5. The saved credentials of the computer (ex: "TERMSRV/192.168.1.133") will now be deleted. You will be asked for credentials whenever you connect to the selected computer. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close the Credential Manager if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 2, 2017
  2. David Haz Win User

Remote Desktop - Save connections

Hi Adrian,

Through Remote Desktop Protocol in Windows, you are provided with a graphical interface where you can save the current connection settings to an RDP file or open a saved connection. You may get to this interface by following the steps below:

• Type remote desktop in the Windows 10 taskbar search, and selecting
      Remote Desktop Connection. Make sure that the Computer,
      User name, etc. fields are filled in correctly under the
      General tab.
    • Click the Show options button.
    • From there, you can save the current connection settings to an RDP
      file or open a saved connection.
    • If you are to save a connection, click Save As, and choose the location from where you want to save the shortcut, and click on
      Save.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

David Haz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

4. Mel Tar Win User

how do I delete a desktop off remote desktop connection?

Hi,

To disable Remote Desktop Connection, please follow the steps below:

• On the Start menu, search for SystemPropertiesRemote.exe
      and hit Enter to open the Remote tab of the
      System Properties options. Type in the password if prompted.
    • Under Remote Desktop, you will see three options:

• Don’t allow remote connections to this computer

• Allow remote connections to this computer

• Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
    • Select the desired option, and click on Apply, and then
      OK
      to save the settings.
    Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Junaid_A Win User
    Remote Desktop won't accept login credentials

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Are you using a Microsoft account to login?
    • Was the user name changed at any point of time?

Meanwhile, you may try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Command prompt as an administrator on your local machine and type:
      gpedit.msc
    • Navigate to the following location:

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation
    • Click on ‘Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication’
    • Enable the policy and click on ‘Show’ button in the options window below and enter the value
      ‘TERMSRV/*’ (without quotes) into the list. Apply the changes.
    • Do the same thing for the following policies:

Allow Delegating Saved Credentials

Allow Delegating Default Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication

Allow Delegating Default Credentials
    • Make sure that ‘Deny Delegating Saved Credentials’ is not enabled or does not contain ‘TERMSRV/*’ in the list
    • Close all windows, open a command prompt, and use
      ‘gpupdate /force’
      command to apply the policy directly.

Once the update is complete, reboot the machine and see if you can remote login.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Delete Saved Credentials of Remote Desktop Connection in Windows - Similar Threads - Delete Saved Credentials

2. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work": I am trying to remote into a Windows 10 Pro desktop PC-A from Windows 11 Home laptop PC-B. Both of these are on the same network. PC-A has a local Admin account, PC-B has my Microsoft Account. I have enabled Remote Desktop on PC-A. I enter the name for PC-A in the name prompt...
  4. Remote Desktop Connection - "Your credentials did not work"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Fix Windows Remote Desktop does not save credentials

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Windows Remote Desktop does not save credentials: [ATTACH]Windows Remote Desktop is an essential tool for connecting to remote computers. And it is a go-to tool for many users who work over RDP. You need to enter the login details of the remote computer, and you will have full access to it. However, it can be very annoying...
  6. Allow or Prevent saving of Remote Desktop Credentials in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Allow or Prevent saving of Remote Desktop Credentials in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]When setting up Remote Desktop on Windows PC, you get the option to save the details, including the password. The RDP file can then be used to connect to the destination without filling in the details. However, this feature can be controlled if you have concerns. So...
  7. No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop: We have a computer that when ever some one tries to use Remote Desktop it opens a window that lets them know their credentials will be used, but gives no area to input credentials or accept. Simply the option to cancel. I have attached a screenshot. We checked Windows...
  8. Remote desktop connection and invalid Credentials

Remote desktop connection and invalid Credentials: Hello Im trying to access a desktop remote connection to my work, but every time i try to log in it asks for my "credentials", which i assume is my Microsoft user name and password, but every time i type them in its says they are wrong. I really need to get in to do my...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Connection - Your credential did not work: I can successfully RDP to the target computer from any computer with in the LAN. However, I get an error message of "Your credentials did not work" when I RDP from WAN. I know that my setup is working to the target computer but just that credentials entered is not...
  10. Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work"

Remote Desktop "Credentials did not work": I reinstalled windows on my Desktop yesterday. I previously had a handy little shortcut on my desktop to allow me to access my laptops desktop via remote desktop. Of course this shortcut has now disappeared, so I tried to set it up again. Now, when I go to connect it asks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to use delete credentials from remote desktop