Windows 10: Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 How to Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 system restore that takes your PC back to an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by dogpark, Feb 23, 2017.

1. dogpark Win User

Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10

How to: Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10

How to Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10

system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed an app, driver, or update.

Each restore point contains the necessary information needed to restore the system to the chosen state. Restore points are automatically generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and generated when you Restoring wont affect your personal files in your %UserProfile% folder, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was created.

When you get a new large or feature update for Windows 10, all restore points will automatically get deleted in the process of the update since the old restore points will be incompatible with the new Windows Update.

This tutorial will show you how to delete all or specific system restore points for drives in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to delete a system restore point.

Restore points are stored in the hidden protected OS System Volume Information folder in the root directory of each drive you have system protection turned on.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Delete All System Restore Points for a Drive in System Protection Settings
    • Option Two: To Delete All System Restore Points but the most Recent Restore Point in Disk Cleanup
    • Option Three: To Delete All or Specific System Restore Points in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Delete Individual System Restore Points in CCleaner
    • Option Five: To Delete System Image Restore Points in Command Prompt at Boot

OPTION ONE [/i] To Delete All System Restore Points for a Drive in System Protection Settings
    1 Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to open System.

2 Open the step 5 below.

3 Open the step 5 below.

4 Open the step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 [​IMG]

5 Click/tap on the System protection link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

6 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

7 Under Protection Settings, select a drive (ex: C: ) that you want to delete all restore points from, and click/tap on the Configure button. (see screenshot below)

8 Click/tap on Delete. (see screenshots below)

9 Click/tap on Continue to confirm. (see screenshot below)

10 Click/tap on Close when finished. (see screenshot below)

11 You will notice that the Current Usage of the selected drive will now be 0 bytes. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Delete All System Restore Points but the most Recent Restore Point in Disk Cleanup
    1 Use step 7 in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below to delete restore points from a selected disk.

How to Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

OPTION THREE [/i] To Delete All or Specific System Restore Points in Command Prompt
    1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Copy and paste the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.

This will list all shadow copies (restore points) on all drives. You will see the volume drive letter and shadow copy ID number for each one. You will need this information for the steps below.

vssadmin list shadows

3 Do step 4 (all), step 5 (all on drive), step 6 (oldest on drive), or step 7 (shadow copy ID) below for how you would like to delete restore points.

4. To Delete All Restore Points on All Drives
    A) Copy and paste the command below you want to use in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

(Prompts Y/N to confirm before deleting)
    vssadmin delete shadows /all

OR

(Delete without prompting)
    vssadmin delete shadows /all /quiet

5. To Delete All Restore Points on Specific Drive
    A) Type the command below you want to use in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshots below)

vssadmin delete shadows /For=(drive letter): /all

OR

vssadmin delete shadows /For=(drive letter): /all /quiet

Substitute (drive letter) in the commands above with the drive letter you want. This will be listed as Original Volume: (x: ) from step 2 above.

For example:

vssadmin delete shadows /For=C: /all

OR

vssadmin delete shadows /For=C: /all /quiet

6. To Delete Oldest Restore Point on Specific Drive
    A) Type the command below you want to use in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshots below)

vssadmin delete shadows /For=(drive letter): /oldest

OR

vssadmin delete shadows /For=(drive letter): /oldest /quiet

Substitute (drive letter) in the commands above with the drive letter you want. This will be listed as Original Volume: (x: ) from step 2 above.

For example:

vssadmin delete shadows /For=C: /oldest

OR

vssadmin delete shadows /For=C: /oldest /quiet

7. To Delete Specific Restore Point using Shadow Copy ID
    A) Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

vssadmin delete shadows /Shadow={Shadow Copy ID}

Substitute Shadow Copy ID in the commands above with the actual Shadow Copy ID number of the restore point you want to delete from step 2 above.

For example: vssadmin delete shadows /Shadow={3e351030-9ebd-428c-9ff3-86dca40a7f96}

8 When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Delete Individual System Restore Points in CCleaner
    This option will allow you to remove up to all restore points, but not the most recent restore point.

1 If you have not already, download and install the free CCleaner program.

2 Open CCleaner.

3 Click/tap on Tools on the left side, and click/tap on System Restore in the Tools menu. (see screenshot below step 4)

4 Select one or more listed restore points you want to delete, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

You can press and hold the CTRL key and click/tap on restore points to be able to select more than one randomly.

5 Click/tap on OK to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6 When finished, you can close CCleaner if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Delete System Image Restore Points in Command Prompt at Boot
    This option was provided by our member Bree.

1 For how, see: How to Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

dogpark, Feb 23, 2017
  2. Stanley Yeow, Feb 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 1511 November update System Restore not working

I have installed Windows 10 with November update of 1511.

In the previous version of Windows 10 System Restore was working properly.

After upgrading to 1511 version of November update, System Restore points gets deleted after restart. Before restart System Restore points are created manually as well as automatically and are being displayed properly.

After restart all the system restore points gets deleted at the system says that Restore Points are not created.

Please suggest a solution.

Regards.

VikasChavda, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello dogpark, *Smile

Those would be restore points from a created system image. Basically, those will only be deleted when the appropriate system image for each one has been deleted.

You can do so by selecting Keep only the latest system image and minimum space used by backup option when managing space for Windows Backup below.

Windows Backup - Manage Space in Windows 10

Brink, Feb 23, 2017
  5. dogpark Win User
    Hi Brink,

I thought perhaps it might have something to do with Windows Backup but have always had the Manage Windows Backup disk space option set to: Keep only the recent system image.

I deleted all the restore points for D: (backup drive) thru System Protection. Don't believe System Restore has ever been on for D: drive. Even tho doing this indicates the Restore points have been successfully deleted the 3.52 GB value always remains.

Then I reran the vssadmin list shadows & vssadmin delete shadows /all

All is good?? - there is only one backup in System Restore now. *Huh

I had to go thru a few gyrations this morning to clear the normal Restore Points I found another poster suggesting almost identical problem = System restore - weird behavior. Thought may be symptom of a larger issue.

Thank you for your assistance once again.

dogpark, Feb 23, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That looks good to me for keeping the latest system image set.

It won't hurt anything (other than using more space) if you wanted to have more than one system image available in case needed.

Brink, Feb 23, 2017
  7. You have got System image restore point there, not System restore point. Just so you know.

This. Probably something introduced with last updates causing Windows Backup to act on its own.

TairikuOkami, Feb 23, 2017
  8. dogpark Win User

Hmm...
    Well I deleted the last Windows backup, ran another and?? Not sure what I did but the Manage Windows Backup disk space now says:

Two hours ago I verified the checked circle did read "Keep only the latest system image"? That explains the additional 5GB, somehow I altered that setting. Chalk it up to operator error. OH well, if you don't break it?
    Sorry for wasting your time.

Thank you

dogpark, Feb 23, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It was no waste of time if it helped. *Smile

Brink, Feb 23, 2017
  10. keithdxb Win User
    Hi There.. Great post.. however it says "will show you how to delete all or specific system restore points ".. But i ONLY shows how to delete ALL (or all except very latest) .. I want to SELECTIVELY delete (e.g. keep the last 2 or 3).. How do I do that.. anyone know?

Thanks, Keith

keithdxb, Jul 31, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Keith, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Step 7 in Option Three and Option Four allows you to delete specific restore points. Option Four is easier to use.

Brink, Jul 31, 2017
  12. D4ni3l Win User
    Bonjour,

Thanks for this helpful tutorial

Here is my small problem

The second disk (F) has been used on an another computer and I try to have it clean
    I would like to delete definitively the shadows storage as explained here
    Is it a syntax issue ? still testing

D4ni3l, Sep 10, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @D4ni3l, *Smile

The command should be this below from step 5 in Option Three in the tutorial to delete all shadows on F. The delete shadowstorage command option is no longer available in Windows 10.

vssadmin delete shadows /For=F: /all /quiet

Brink, Sep 10, 2017
  14. D4ni3l Win User

no success !
    I also deleted "System Volume Information" on F: (with Ubuntu) : no success

D4ni3l, Sep 10, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete System Restore

2. are system restore points deleted automatically?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    are system restore points deleted automatically?: So 2 weeks ago I checked system restore out of curiosity and I had atleast like 5 restore points, I checked today and now I only have two, what happened?...
  3. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  4. System restore point deleted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore point deleted.: Hello, so I created a restore point on my PC just a month ago and just I upgraded to Windows 11. After updating to Windows 11 I got some updates and I installed them but then I see that my Windows.old folder is deleted and I am stuck on Windows 11, so I went ahead and checked...
  5. Deleted System Restore Point recovery.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted System Restore Point recovery.: Hi,I wonder if i can recover a deleted Restore Point, because im having issue's right now and it is too difficult to fix it, thank's. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-system-restore-point-recovery/de7c56fa-af90-46f8-b8ee-4db29e0c10cd
  6. Deleted System Restore Point recovery.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted System Restore Point recovery.: Hi,I wonder if i can recover a deleted Restore Point, because im having issue's right now and it is too difficult to fix it, thank's. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-system-restore-point-recovery/de7c56fa-af90-46f8-b8ee-4db29e0c10cd
  7. System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore deleted or damaged the restore point: Hello: System Restore did not completed successfully. Your computer system files and settings were not changed. System Restore failed to extract the original copy of the Directory from the restore point. Source: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps Destination: AppxStaging...
  8. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  9. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  10. Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10: How to: Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 When you System Restore. These will appear alongside the other restore points as 'type Backup' when you tick the box for 'Show more restore points' in System Restore. [img] Unlike...