Windows 10: Delete Theme in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete Theme in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete Theme in Windows 10 How to Delete Themes in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can use themes to help make your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Delete Theme in Windows 10

How to: Delete Theme in Windows 10

How to Delete Themes in Windows 10

Delete Theme in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can use themes to help make your desktop feel a little more personal. Themes change the change themes as often as you like.

After you have installed themes from the Store over time, you may want to delete themes you no longer want or like.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete themes in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Delete a Theme for Current User in Control Panel
    • Option Two: To Delete a Theme for Current User in Settings
    • Option Three: To Delete a Theme for Current User in File Explorer
    • Option Four: To Delete a Default Windows Theme in File Explorer for All Users
    • Option Five: To Delete a Default High Contrast Theme in File Explorer for All Users

OPTION ONE [/i] To Delete a Theme for Current User in Control Panel
    1. Open the Run dialog (Win+R), enter the command below, and click/tap on OK to open Personalization in the Control Panel.
    *Arrow explorer shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}
    2. Select a theme other than the theme you want to delete. (see screenshot below)

3. Right click or press and hold on a theme under My Themes you want to delete, and click/tap on Delete.

4. When finished, you can close the Personalization control panel window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Delete a Theme for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Select a theme other than the saved custom theme you want to delete. (see screenshot below)

3. Right click or press and hold on a custom theme you want to delete, and click/tap on Delete.

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Delete a Theme for Current User in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on the icon in the address bar of File Explorer, copy and paste the path below into the address bar, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

3. Delete the theme(s) you want. (see screenshots below)

Note The .theme files are the saved custom themes (aka: "My Themes") for the current account.

Themes installed from the Store will be saved in the folder with the same name as the theme. You would delete the theme's folder to delete an installed theme.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Delete a Default Windows Theme in File Explorer for All Users

Note You will need to be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

[table][tr][td].theme File[/td] [td]Theme Name[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]aero.theme[/td] [td]Windows[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]theme1.theme[/td] [td]Windows 10[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]theme2.theme[/td] [td]Flowers[/td] [/tr] [/table]

1. Open File Explorer (Win+E), and open the folder at the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
    2. Change the owner of the .theme file you want to delete to Administrators.

3. Change the permissions of the .theme file you want to delete to "Allow" Administrators "Full Control".

4. Right click or press and hold on the .theme you want to delete, click/tap on Delete, and click/tap on Continue to confirm.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Delete a Default High Contrast Theme in File Explorer for All Users

Note You will need to be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

[table][tr][td].theme File[/td] [td]Theme Name[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]hc1.theme[/td] [td]High Contrast #1[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]hc2.theme[/td] [td]High Contrast #2[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]hcblack.theme[/td] [td]High Contrast Black[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]hcwhite.theme[/td] [td]High Contrast White[/td] [/tr] [/table]

1. Open File Explorer (Win+E), and open the folder at the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes
    2. Change the owner of the .theme file you want to delete to Administrators.

3. Change the permissions of the .theme file you want to delete to "Allow" Administrators "Full Control".

4. Right click or press and hold on the .theme you want to delete, click/tap on Delete, and click/tap on Continue to confirm.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 29, 2017

2. windows 10 how do I save a custom theme AND how do I delete a theme

Hi,

To assist you better about your issue in renaming a rheme, please follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Go to all settings.
    • Click personalization.
    • Click themes and go to theme settings.
    • Go to Desktop Background.
    • Rename your theme.

In deleting your save theme, you can go to your desktop and remove it. But you cannot delete the default theme.

Feel free to post back your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 26, 2019
  3. mlg63 Win User
    I can't delete a theme on Windows 10.

One step is left out--Settings>Personalization> click on Themes in the left column>then right click on the one in your list of installed themes to delete. It will be in your recycle bin if you change your mind. Themes are not installed
    on your computer until you select and install them in Get more themes in the MS Store.

mlg63, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Delete Theme in Windows 10

Win-10 themes keep changing

Hi,

Thank you for providing the information.

• Did you try the steps suggested by Suvarna Govinda above, what was the result?
    As I understand the issue, Themes in Windows doesn't have the options to change on its own. Only the Wallpapers in the themes can change as selected ( Picture, Solid color and Slide Show ).

I would suggest you to make us understand that if the Wallpapers are changing in Theme which you have selected.

Below are the steps you can check if it helps.

• Press Windows + I keys and select Personalization.
    • Select Theme and select the Default theme.
    • Select the Desktop Background below and select the Picture
      and save it and check.
    Please post us back if the issue resolves. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Sheri-D Win User
    Deleting a theme

Hello, I'm Sheri. I'll be happy to assist you.

Here is how to delete a theme:

Step 1: Open Settings app. Click Personalization icon, and then click Themes to see all installed themes as well as default themes.

Step 2: To delete a theme, right-click on the theme tile, and then click Delete option.

Note: You cannot delete the current applied them, so you will need to apply a different theme before deleting that one.

Best wishes,

Sheri D.

Independent Advisor

Sheri-D, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10 - How to install themes

Hi Rykel,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

What error do you receive while trying to download themes?

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps:

• Right click on the desktop screen and select
              Personalize.

• Select themes from the left side of the page.

• Next select Themes settings.

• Select Get more Themes online.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Delete Theme in Windows 10

1. Delete Theme in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete Theme

2. Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade Theme Deletion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade Theme Deletion: To keep this brief did an upgrade from Windows 11 21H2 to Windows 11 22H2 using the .iso file choosing to keep all files and applications. The upgrade was a success but I noticed it removed the custom theme Tom Clancy game and I had to do a new theme for the machine. Just...
  3. Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade Theme Deletion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 In-Place Upgrade Theme Deletion: To keep this brief did an upgrade from Windows 11 21H2 to Windows 11 22H2 using the .iso file choosing to keep all files and applications. The upgrade was a success but I noticed it removed the custom theme Tom Clancy game and I had to do a new theme for the machine. Just...
  4. Theme deletion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Theme deletion: Using Windows 10 Pro v20H2. I've deleted most of the themes (AeroLite, theme1, theme2, hc1, hc2, hcblack & hcwhite) along w/their associated files w/o any side-effects. But I'd like to know if there will be a negative side-effects when I delete the Aero theme & all its...
  5. DELETING BACKGROUND THEMES

DELETING BACKGROUND THEMES: How do I delete background themes I downloaded and no longer want so I can get new ones? Charlie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-background-themes/53e71f79-3b20-4a03-8d72-44ad334248e2
  6. Unable to Delete Saved Themes

Unable to Delete Saved Themes: I know how to add and change themes, But how do I DELETE themes I no longer want saved? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-saved-themes/c1f7fed6-842f-4ca9-b10a-9bd252526da2
  7. Can't Delete Theme in Windows 10

Can't Delete Theme in Windows 10: Hello, I have windows 10 pro and I installed a theme but when I felt it was boring I tried to delete it it is saying it is open in another program. I went to personalize -> Themes section -> Applied another theme -> Right click on the theme I want to delete -> then it showed...
  8. Deleting a custom theme in personalization/themes

Deleting a custom theme in personalization/themes: I can't find a way to delete a custom theme. I replace the background with a picture and 10 min. later the theme photos return. Even when I choose another theme it only lasts 10 minutes before reverting back. HDI delete this persistent theme?...
  9. Unable to delete a theme in windows 10

Unable to delete a theme in windows 10: Hello I have searched help in google and I found some steps to delete the theme but I can't delete it in windows 10, I followed the steps through control panel then click on appearance and personalization on the left it doesn't show appearance on right as it should like the...
  10. delete desktop themes?

delete desktop themes?: Anyone know how to delete themes and pictures from windows 10 desktop? I've spent many hours trying everything and nothing works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-desktop-themes/c8349aef-477d-4e28-b131-8ebbf843bf0f