Windows 10: Delete Thumb.db files in network drive Win 10 Home

Discus and support Delete Thumb.db files in network drive Win 10 Home in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can someone tell me how to delete all Thumb.db files on my network drive? I have Windows 10 Home, and want to delete thumbnail files in my folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HDFatboy, Jan 1, 2016.

1. HDFatboy Win User

Delete Thumb.db files in network drive Win 10 Home

Can someone tell me how to delete all Thumb.db files on my network drive?

I have Windows 10 Home, and want to delete thumbnail files in my folders that are on a Synology NAS. Windows error: thumbs.db file in use", so I can't delete it.

other solutions include using group policy editor, but I don't have a group policy editor b/c I am on Win 10 Home. I also can't run disk cleanup on my network drive.

:)

HDFatboy, Jan 1, 2016
  2. Crob1311 Win User

file explorer does not show thumb.db files even with 'show hidden files' selected, windows 10

I have set the file Folder Options to 'Show hidden files and folders' but Thumb.db files do not display or appear in a search.

The folder appears empty, but when I right click properties of the folder it shows 1 file and a e.g. 16.0KB.

I also run a program 'Folder Size' and this shows the file as Thumb.db in the folder with matching size to the properties.

I use Folder Size to clean up empty folders when I consolidate photos from several folders into one, using search 'Kind: pictures' select them and move them to a new folder. To make sure I do not delete and non photo files in the folders I use folder properties
    to check they are empty. In windows 8.1 and earlier I would search for 'Thumb.db' files and delete them I can no longer do this as search won't find them.

How can I display and search for these hidden files?

Crob1311, Jan 1, 2016
  3. I Am Trying to Install Windows 10 Home on the Secondary Drive of My Dell Precision M6700

There are two files on this secondary drive...a video folder with a few vids in it, and a file named, msdia80.dll.

Can I delete these files on the secondary drive before installing this OS?

I plan to pop the primary drive out, then insert the disk, thinking there will be prompts which will help me with the installation of Win 10 Home onto the secondary drive.

DonaldCash, Jan 1, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I just deleted 584 of those files from a Folder and all of its subFolders on one of my WDC NAS drives without issue. Maybe the key is to have no other instance of File Manager open nor any image viewing/editing program open at the time? When I then opened the Folders in File Manager and viewed a few of the images I did not get the files recreated. I have my drives set to Show hidden files and to show file extensions. In my case it may have been a factor in that the Folder contained a copy of a clients computer, were not actually on my Windows drive.

Berton, Jan 1, 2016
  5. MikeMecanic, Jan 1, 2016
  6. HDFatboy Win User
    HDFatboy, Jan 1, 2016
  7. XweAponX Win User
    Your Mapped Drive has to have Administrative Privileges, I use Windows Sharing rather than Homegoop. Create an Administrator account, or activate it under MMC/LOcal Users and Groups, activate the Administrator account and give it a simple easy password, I use "12345". This is done on the remote PC. The Share the drives with Advanced Sharing, when you hit "Permissions" you will have to add "Administrators" (plural) then give those accounts full access, read/write/execute.

Then on the machine with the mapped drives, map to those shared drives, it will ask for user name and password, use "administrator: and the password you created. Then and only then will you be able to delete any remote file or folder you can pull up in Explorer.

Oh, you are on Home. But it is the same process, boot into Safe Mode and you will have to activate the administrator account, then give it a password. Then log in normally and set the shares the same way. For Windows Sharing to work you have to have these two things: 1) An administrator account that is activated 2) a password on that account. Then you just use advanced sharing to share the target drives.

XweAponX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete Thumb.db files in network drive Win 10 Home - Similar Threads - Delete Thumb files

2. will a win 10-11 ISO File work from a plain thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    will a win 10-11 ISO File work from a plain thumb drive: I bought a used hp desktop with win 11 installedupgraded I believe but it's causing me some problems and Iwant to recover win 10....it seems like a lot of drivers for different external equipment have not been set upfor win 11 so I want to recover win 10 and then later on,...
  3. will a win 10-11 ISO File work from a plain thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    will a win 10-11 ISO File work from a plain thumb drive: I bought a used hp desktop with win 11 installedupgraded I believe but it's causing me some problems and Iwant to recover win 10....it seems like a lot of drivers for different external equipment have not been set upfor win 11 so I want to recover win 10 and then later on,...
  4. ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The file is Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program residing on a SanDisk external 32G drive.I am a participant in Windows Insider - just recently updated...
  5. ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ACCESSING FILE ON THUMB DRIVE: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The file is Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail program residing on a SanDisk external 32G drive.I am a participant in Windows Insider - just recently updated...
  6. Opening .DB file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening .DB file: Hi, all, I'm trying to open .DB file which comes with EPI Suite software from EPA https://www.epa.gov/tsca-screening-tools/download-epi-suitetm-estimation-program-interface-v411 FYI it can be installed for free on personal and commercial computers. I can't open it with DB...
  7. home network win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    home network win 10: Prior questions here have led to no answer. 2 computers on the same wifi network need to access each other. Computer that i need to access shows up on File Explorer - Network. But attempts to access give this: [ATTACH] I have tried all of my passwords, looked for something...
  8. Win 10 Upgrade thumb-drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Upgrade thumb-drive: I was using a Windows 10 Installation media to upgrade a different pc. At step 5 of the Create Installation Media, I selected a 8gb thumb-drive and the process began to download. At about the 50% stage, the process stopped. I waited for three house, but it still remained at...
  9. thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165
  10. Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding thumb drive for Win upgrade install: I've removed as much memory I can from C drive and I have to install a thumb drive to add memory so I can install Win 10 upgrade. Says I'm lacking 8GB of memory. How do I add it? Aspire One Cloudbook 11 is the unit. 107360

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete thumbs.db windows 10 network drive

2. delete thumbs.db from network drive

3. delete thumbs.db windows 10 on network drive

4. cant delet thumbs.db from network drive,
  5. folders with only a thumb.db file,
  6. delete thumbs.db file from network share,
  7. cant delete thumbs.db in network drive,
  8. in win 10 how do i delete thumb.db file