Windows 10: Delete User Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete User Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete User Account in Windows 10 How to Delete a User Account in Windows 10 You need a user account to use Windows, and if you share a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Tully, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Tully Win User

Delete User Account in Windows 10

How to: Delete User Account in Windows 10

How to Delete a User Account in Windows 10

You need a user account to use Windows, and if you share a single PC with other people, each person should have their own account. Each person can customize their account with their own settings and preferences, like a desktop background or screen saver. User accounts also help control which files and apps each person can use and what changes they can make to the PC.

If you have a user account on your PC that is not being used, you can permanently remove it by deleting it.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete a user account to remove it from your Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to delete a user account.

You will not be able to delete a user account that is currently signed in. You will need to sign out the user first.

*Warning Be sure to always have at least one enabled administrator account on the PC to avoid not being able to perform actions that require administrator rights.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: How to Remove a User Account in Settings
    • Option Two: How to Delete a User Account in Control Panel
    • Option Three: How to Delete a User Account in Local Users and Groups
    • Option Four: How to Remove a User Account in Netplwiz
    • Option Five: How to Delete a User Account in Command Prompt
    • Option Six: How to Delete a User Account in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] How to Remove a User Account in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Family & other people on the left side, click/tap on an account (ex: "Brink2") you want to delete on the right side, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

Delete User Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Delete account and data to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] How to Delete a User Account in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4. Click/tap on a user (ex: Example) you want to delete. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Delete the account link. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Delete Files or Keep Files for what you want to do with the user account's personal files. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Delete Account to confirm. (see screenshots below)

8. When finished, you can close the Control Panel if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] How to Delete a User Account in Local Users and Groups
    1. Open Local Users and Groups, and click/tap on the Users folder in the left pane to open it. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on a user (ex: Example) you want to delete in the middle pane to select it, click/tap on More Actions under the same user's name (ex: Example) in the right "Actions" pane, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close the Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] How to Remove a User Account in Netplwiz
    1. Type netplwiz in the search box (Windows+S) in your Start menu or on your taskbar, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on a user (ex: Example) you want to delete, and click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6. If you set Windows to automatically sign in to a user account at startup, then you will need to set this again when finished.

7. When finished, you can close Netplwiz if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] How to Delete a User Account in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter to see a list of all user account names on the PC. Make note of the account name you want to delete. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net users

3. Do step 4 or step 5 below depending on if the user is joined to a domain or not.

4. To Delete a User Account
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, press Enter, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow net user "UserName" /delete

*note Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name from step 2 you want to delete.

For example: net user "Example" /delete

5. To Delete a Domain User Account
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, press Enter, and go to step 6 below.

*Arrow net user "UserName" /delete /domain

*note Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual domain user name from step 2 you want to delete.

For example: net user "Example" /delete /domain
    6. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] How to Delete a User Account in PowerShell

*note For more Remove-LocalUser command options and details, see: Add-Remove-LocalUser - Microsoft Developer Network
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. In the elevated PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter to see a list of all user account names on the PC. Make note of the account name you want to delete. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-LocalUser

3. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Remove-LocalUser -Name "UserName"

*note Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name from step 2 you want to delete.

For example: Remove-LocalUser -Name "Brink2"
    4. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Tully, Apr 6, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How do you change the Microsoft account associated with an HP computer?

Here are some results obtained with a search engine:

How to delete user accounts in Windows 10

Delete user account in Windows 10

How to delete a user account in Windows 7, 8 or 10

Just so you understand, these steps remove a user account from the computer. If you remove a local user account, it's gone. If you remove a Microsoft account, the account still exists, it's just not on the computer. That's because a Microsoft account is
    just Microsoft's name for a cloud account, which exists on the internet and is accessed through a user account.

BulldogXX, Apr 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Tully, *Smile

Are you able to sign out and switch users (if available) to delete the account afterwards?

Brink, Apr 6, 2016
  5. meebers Win User
    Is it possible to delete or change the name of the Administrators account

meebers, Apr 6, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello meebers, *Smile

Just to clarify, do you mean the built-in "Administrator", or just the other normal administrator accounts?

If you have another administrator account to sign in to, then you can delete another administrator account.

Brink, Apr 6, 2016
  7. meebers Win User
    I am assuming the the administrator account that was created during the first time W10 was set up. (the one that appears on my desk top when signing in and is the default email address). Going to make an image Delete User Account in Windows 10 :) and try to configure it. Tx...

meebers, Apr 6, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 6, 2016
  9. meebers Win User
    Tx for the info and link!

meebers, Apr 6, 2016
  10. Has any of this changed for Creators Update? I may need to delete a user account on a PC with the update. Unfortunately I am not in front of a PC running V1703 to check but I don't think the option to remove was in the family and other users settings, only to block. It's my wife's account (part of our family group) which may have some slight corruption so we may just delete her user account and then re-create it. Just trying to think of the easiest and quickest way to do this without upsetting windows!

I've never dabbled in this before but am I better off deleting user profile in order to achieve my goal? My wife's store app has issues and I think maybe easiest thing is start again for her seeing as there is nothing critical on her current user account.

cheers,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Apr 26, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Wayne, *Smile

Yep, everything is still the same in the W10 CU.

It would be best that you are signed in to an administrator account to delete her account from.

In addition, be sure to back up anything she doesn't want to lose in her personal folders before deleting the account.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete User Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete User Account

2. Deleted user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted user account: Hi. Today I turned on the computer as always. I had two accounts, one of my own which is in Microsoft and a local administrator. When the login window pops up, it automatically logs me in to an administrator account, not the main one. I checked user switching and I don't know...
  3. Deleting user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting user account: I want to delete a user account and a secondary standard account. How is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-user-account/6c15ce8e-aede-4e29-8191-55e98b29c33b
  4. Deleting user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting user account: I want to delete a user account and a secondary standard account. How is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-user-account/6c15ce8e-aede-4e29-8191-55e98b29c33b
  5. Deleting Windows 10 user account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting Windows 10 user account: I need help in deleting my account from my pc. I want to delete my user account but I am unable to. I want to restart my account and make a new account but I do not know how. I basically want to totally start over my windows account, deleting everything in the process of...
  6. User Account deletion

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Account deletion: Hi, I am an administrator trying to delete a user account named "public" in Windows 10 but I am getting error message: "you require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder". How do I change this setting or get permission? Thank you...
  7. delete a user account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    delete a user account?: what will happen if I delete one of the 2 users on my dell computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-user-account/eb20a0a6-faec-4efd-bdb6-0463d20fa88a
  8. How to delete User Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete User Account in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When a computer is used by many, it results in multiple Windows accounts. Some are used frequently, while some not so much. At some point, you will need to delete a user profile, primarily if they are not used at [...] This post How to delete User Account in...
  9. Deleted user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted user account: I have done something really stupid... I am selling my old laptop to a friend, and googled how to delete my user account. I did what it said and deleted a post in the register. Not anywhere on the page did it say that I shouldn't delete the account without creating a new one...
  10. User Account Deleted

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account Deleted: I just installed windows 10. I have two user accounts. One I use for school and one I use recreational. My user account for school is gone. It does not even show up on the login menu. I have many important documents on there. How can I get the account back or at least get the...