Windows 10: Deleted OS Partition and Need Help

Discus and support Deleted OS Partition and Need Help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I have an Acer laptop that had Windows 8 on it. We took the free upgrade to get to Windows 10 and tried it for a few months. Now I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alemoo, Mar 5, 2016.

1. alemoo Win User

Deleted OS Partition and Need Help

Hello. I have an Acer laptop that had Windows 8 on it. We took the free upgrade to get to Windows 10 and tried it for a few months. Now I decided to try to install Windows 7 on it. I put the disc in the drive and booted. I deleted all partitions except for the data partition that has our movies and music on it. It tells me that Windows can't be installed on this because it is a GPT type. It appears that while the installer is running, when you delete partitions it happens immediately. I thought that it would allow me to cancel because I didn't commit the changes, but I was wrong. I can't format the entire drive because we have important documents on there. What can I do to reinstall Windows 10? We prefer 7, but I have a feeling I need to reinstall 10 first, and then back up the data to an external drive, and then wipe the whole drive to install 7.

:)

alemoo, Mar 5, 2016

2. Dynamic disk to basic.

Hello. I want to change my dynamic disk to basik. 2 partitions. 1 500 gb with os installed, one 490 gb, no os. I saw that if i want to change it back i need to delete all partitions. How i do that with os installed on first partition? Please help me to
    convert it back from dynamic.

danisuba1099, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Unknow drive and recovery drive located on my PC

Hi Cameron,

If the two partition that you have shown in the first screenshot that you have send contain no data, you can delete the partition. If you do have data create a backup if needed and delete the same. This will not cause any harm to your PC, as long as your
    OS is not installed in that partition.

Your OS here is installed in C: drive, which will not cause any issue to the PC.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 5, 2016
  4. alemoo Win User

I also have a copy of Fedora and SuSE. Perhaps there is a way I can Live Boot and transfer the files to an external hard drive?

alemoo, Mar 5, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Mar 5, 2016
  6. alemoo Win User
    alemoo, Mar 5, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Mar 5, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Do you know it is basically a poor idea to go back to Windows 7 (poor driver support, bigger security risks, suboptimal for newer pcs etc.)

Really, Windows 8.1 is technically much superior to Windows 7, drivers will be more up to date etc.

Reinstalling 7 is a PITA (zillions of updates), and you will need a new licence.

Windows 8.1 is much easier to reinstall and maintain, if you wish to go away from Windows 10

If you install start8, then you can pretty much make it feel like Windows 7.

Also, you will get nagged to reupgrade to Windows 10 in either case.

cereberus, Mar 5, 2016
  9. alemoo Win User
    Ok thanks very much for the advice. I am up and running with Windows 7. But I suppose we can give 8.1 a shot again. Security risks is a good point.

alemoo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleted OS Partition and Need Help - Similar Threads - Deleted Partition Need

2. Lost partition - Need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost partition - Need help: Hello good people,I did a fresh Windows 11 installation and now I have a problem where my SSD is devided into 4 partitions but only 2 are in use.I was looking on Google for solution, but everything I found was connected to EaseUS program and they want me to pay for a plan...
  3. Lost partition - Need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost partition - Need help: Hello good people,I did a fresh Windows 11 installation and now I have a problem where my SSD is devided into 4 partitions but only 2 are in use.I was looking on Google for solution, but everything I found was connected to EaseUS program and they want me to pay for a plan...
  4. Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.: After installing/trying multiple distros I have a lot of EFI/Recovery partitions in my Drive, I want to delete all but the windows one as I looking to clean/organize my drive. submitted by /u/ArVtheBest [link] [comments]...
  5. Need help consolidating partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help consolidating partitions: Attached is a screenshot of Disk Management. I would like to get rid of the partition named: "Windows 10 (OLD) (G:)" and consolidate the space with the partition named "Windows 10 (NEW) (C:)". Windows 10 (OLD) is an old version of Windows 10 for which I have no further use. I...
  6. Need help consolidating partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help consolidating partitions: Attached is a screenshot of Disk Management. I would like to get rid of the partition named: "Windows 10 (OLD) (G:)" and consolidate the space with the partition named "Windows 10 (NEW) (C:)". Windows 10 (OLD) is an old version of Windows 10 for which I have no further use. I...
  7. Need help with OS installation

Need help with OS installation: [ATTACH] So I'm gonna be building a new pc soon and putting all my existing drives into that one. My old pc is going to go to my brother and I have a drive for that already. I want to install windows on that drive already, so when all of the parts come, he can instantly...
  8. Help with stupidly deleting partitions

Help with stupidly deleting partitions: submitted by /u/stynsthename [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/frtf0b/help_with_stupidly_deleting_partitions/
  9. Urgent help needed-:deleted all partitions on my dell laptop and need help installing...

Urgent help needed-:deleted all partitions on my dell laptop and need help installing...: I'm using a Dell inspiron 14 3467 1TB HDD. I made a bootable pendrive using Rufus and I'm now stuck at the list of drives in the installation window. I deleted all the partitions and I'm now left with nothing (a blank laptop).Can i still install Windows on it and if so...
  10. Delete OS Partition on HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete OS Partition on HDD: Hi so tomorrow I'm going to change my OS from an HDD to an SSD. Thing is that I want to use my HDD that I'm replacing as back up storage and I heard you can keep your info from the old HDD without having to format it, but you can delete the OS partition of the drive. Anyone...