Windows 10: Deleted System Profile Desktop

Discus and support Deleted System Profile Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 5 year old Lenovo ThinkPad X230. Lately I was running into severe issues where the system lags when doing anything, such as clicking on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by edyang, Jul 15, 2018.

1. edyang Win User

Deleted System Profile Desktop

I have a 5 year old Lenovo ThinkPad X230.

Lately I was running into severe issues where the system lags when doing anything, such as clicking on the Start Menu, closing a window...anything.

Opening Task Manager, it showed Disk usage at 100%.

After researching online, I tried multiple resolutions including: ran AV scan, deleted Adobe, turned off Skype, changed Chrome settings, disabled Superfetch and some other tips I can't remember.

For awhile it seemed to resolve the issue...only to come back with a vengeance.

Going into Resource Monitor, it seemed as if svchost.exe was the culprit.

I disabled about 50 of these 1 by 1 until eventually the disk usage reverted back to normal: 0%.

The problem was, when I attempted to restart, the system took a very long time to even get to the login screen.

When I finally got there (20 to 30 minutes) and logged in, I received the following error message

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or internet, then try agian. If the location can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

It then loaded a blank/generic desktop without any of my files/apps.

Would someone please suggest what I could do to restore my old desktop/profile?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

:)

edyang, Jul 15, 2018
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 15, 2018
  3. CCC Profiles that disappear

id suggest a spyware check

eidairaman1, Jul 15, 2018
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleted System Profile Desktop - Similar Threads - Deleted System Profile

2. user profile deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    user profile deleted: I am resetting my Windows 10 laptop. Tried to clean ALL files & re-login. But it saysThe User Profile Service service failed the sign-inUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-deleted/22cf925c-474c-459a-950a-435569558fdf
  3. Windows 11 delets Desktop Shortcut on Profile B if i delete it on Profile A - and for some...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 delets Desktop Shortcut on Profile B if i delete it on Profile A - and for some...: I recently bought a brand new Laptop which came with Windows 11 despite the Ad saying it would come with Windows 10, oddly enough and i made myself two different accounts on it. It has only one hard-drive which is shared by both accounts so i guess it would be possible to...
  4. Windows 11 delets Desktop Shortcut on Profile B if i delete it on Profile A - and for some...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 delets Desktop Shortcut on Profile B if i delete it on Profile A - and for some...: I recently bought a brand new Laptop which came with Windows 11 despite the Ad saying it would come with Windows 10, oddly enough and i made myself two different accounts on it. It has only one hard-drive which is shared by both accounts so i guess it would be possible to...
  5. Delete User Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete User Profile: I see a second user profile that auto pops up at the Windows Hello sign in. It asks for the username and password and I believe it's an account I accidentally created somehow. How do I delete this profile? I checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage...
  6. Deleting a User Profile.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting a User Profile.: I have 2 profiles on my laptop and I want to delete the secondary one as it is no longer used. How to delete the user profile along with the data? And how to do delete while retaining the data? And will deleting a profile of 80+ Gigs improve the performance of my laptop?...
  7. Windows just deleted the desktop settings and user profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows just deleted the desktop settings and user profile: i am unable to access any files beyond a desktop which first showed just the empty recycle icon. It comes up with my user name ... when I type in my PIN it accepts it spins for a minute and screen goes black. Nothing happens ... no desktop display at all now. Even the...
  8. system profile error cannot find the desktop icons

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system profile error cannot find the desktop icons: I cannot find my icons on my desktop. I get a location C error message telling me that I need to locate it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-profile-error-cannot-find-the-desktop-icons/79003334-df84-4f5a-90ad-79cb1d365fdf
  9. Files Deletion Denied by DESKTOP-7VG8SI1\infer User profile

in Windows 10 Support
    Files Deletion Denied by DESKTOP-7VG8SI1\infer User profile: Hello I recently got a new laptop with Windows 10 and I'm trying to delete a directory in my Program Files(x86) directory. I botched a mod installation and I can't get rid of the file I have an admin profile, but whenever I try to delete it, it gets denied by a user profile...
  10. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder: I would like to know if TMP files in System Profile folder can safely be deleted ? Actual location..C:/ Users/Windows/System32/Config/Systemprofile.. I have about 10,000 or so ! Thank you 76758

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 the system show this message C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable