Windows 10: Deleted user account left behind a HUGE folder (can't delete + itunes)

Discus and support Deleted user account left behind a HUGE folder (can't delete + itunes) in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm not at the friend's place at the moment, but wanted to fly this by in the event someone else has had this issue & resolved it. PC is a HP... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Geekomatic, May 13, 2018.

1. Deleted user account left behind a HUGE folder (can't delete + itunes)

Hi all,

I'm not at the friend's place at the moment, but wanted to fly this by in the event someone else has had this issue & resolved it. PC is a HP Pavilion Desktop running Win 10 Home v1709. It's an upgrade from Win 7 and was running fine up until a couple of days ago. No new software or hardware installed that might have caused this.

There was a problem with his (the only) user account. It had the old, "start button/taskbar not working properly" + other things going on. Rather than muck about trying to diagnose, I created a 2nd account and that one worked fine.

I backed up the data from acct. 1 to external storage. I then booted to acct. 2 and, through "Control panel>users, deleted acct. 1. It took a little while, but eventually, that acct folder appeared on the desktop as I had chosen to "save the user files". All good.

However, as I was setting up the new user acct., I noticed that the old one was still sitting there under C:\Users. Worse, was when I right-clicked to check it's size: it was still going, at over 600 GB in size, before I decided to cancel the size check. Of course, I cannot access it and I'm concerned about the size being reported. What in the world could be in that folder to report that size? He said the only thing he has of any real size is about 15GB of iTunes music (which is about right, looking at what I had backed up from that account previous to deleting it).

I told the friend I'd stop back this week with a live Linux USB to have a look at it from outside of Windows.

Additionally, when I tried to open iTunes, from the new acct.2, it wouldn't open. I tried to install iTunes again (thinking maybe it's only installed for the deleted acct. 1) and it errored saying something to the effect that it needed to be removed from the other user account? But, that account is now gone, so there's no way to log into it to uninstall iTunes.

Has anyone else here ever seen something like this? Honestly, I'm stumped.

Cheers

:)

Geekomatic, May 13, 2018

2. Deleted account keeps reappearing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Is it still appearing no matter how you try to delete? I suggest you to follow the steps below to remove user account from your computer, and check if it helps. Try the ones you’re comfortable with.

Step 1: Steps to Remove a User Account in Settings

• Press Windows
      key, click on Settings.

• Click on Account, click on
      Family and other users.

• Select the user you want to delete under
      Other users and click on Remove.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt.

• Select Delete account and data if you wish to delete account and the data and follow onscreen instructions.

Step 2: Steps to Delete a User Account in Command Prompt

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, select
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type net user and hit Enter
      to list the user accounts on your device.

• Type net user "User account”
      /delete and hit Enter to delete the user account.

Step 3: Steps to Delete a User Account in Run command.

• Press Windows + R and type netplwiz, press
      Enter.

• Select the User account, click on the
      Remove
      button.
    Regards.

SujataMoktan, May 22, 2018
  3. Unable to delete User account on Windows 10, error message "can't delete the account until the user has signed out".

Hello Dave,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

Along with daycartes suggestion, did you try removing the account from system
    Settings page?

I suggest you to check if you are able to remove the account from the
    Settings
    page on the computer. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + I keys on the keyboard and select
      Accounts from the window.
    • From the left side panel, click on Family & other users and check if the account you want to delete is located on the right side panel of the window under
      Your family or Other users.
    • If the user account is visible, click on the account name and select
      Remove
    • Follow the on-screen suggestions and check if the user account is deleted.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 22, 2018
Thema:

Deleted user account left behind a HUGE folder (can't delete + itunes)

1. Deleted user account left behind a HUGE folder (can't delete + itunes) - Similar Threads - Deleted user account

2. deleted a huge folder , is there any to recover it ;

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted a huge folder , is there any to recover it ;: So like the title suggests, I deleted a HUGE folder, 128 gigabytes by ACCIDENT, and it erased everything on my computer and now I can’t get it back. Basically what happened was, I was backing up my phone to my computer and I wanted to back into my D: drive but I accidentally...
  3. Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted: I had two administrator accounts once and i deleted one of them but when i went into my user folder the administartor user folder the account i deleted was still there and i'm not sure to delete it or not. all I need is a yes or no....
  4. Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted: I had two administrator accounts once and i deleted one of them but when i went into my user folder the administartor user folder the account i deleted was still there and i'm not sure to delete it or not. all I need is a yes or no....
  5. Is it ok to delete the administrator user folder if the account is deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't delete huge file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete huge file: I have a game file that is 118gb that I need to delete, however when I try to uninstall it the error "Windows cannot find 'filename'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." comes up. I've tried looking in file explorer for the file but it doesnt show up...
  7. Can't delete huge file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete huge file: I have a game file that is 118gb that I need to delete, however when I try to uninstall it the error "Windows cannot find 'filename'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." comes up. I've tried looking in file explorer for the file but it doesnt show up...
  8. Can't delete deleted user's folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete deleted user's folder.: So a long time ago I made this user using command prompt just for fun and then I went to delete it. But I just noticed that the user folder is still there. It says I can't delete it because I don't have permissions. I tried giving myself permissions to no avail. Can someone...
  9. Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleting a user account leaves traces of that user behind in C:\users: I noticed an annoying problem when deleting a user account from your PC. Basically Windows Store app got into a pickle on my main user account. I fixed it with a restore point. But it wasn't working on my wife and son's user accounts. As they barely use them and have...
  10. Help to delete a huge amount of folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Help to delete a huge amount of folders: Hello Guys, So i was trying to install a new language on my laptop. and i downloaded the language file which is a RAR folder then i extracted it directly to OS(C*Smile the problem is i got a super huge amount of folders and files extracted there almost 12000 folders or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. deleted windows account left folder behind