Windows 10: Deleting a Hidden Folder

Discus and support Deleting a Hidden Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've just scanned an old hard drive using WinUtilities Undelete function and found a hidden folder as shown on the attached snip. I can't find any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sikm, Dec 10, 2016.

1. sikm Win User

Deleting a Hidden Folder

I've just scanned an old hard drive using WinUtilities Undelete function and found a hidden folder as shown on the attached snip. I can't find any other way to access that folder and Winutilities Undelete only shows it and allows it to be copied.
    My question is how can I delete this folder which I think was created by My Lockbox.

:)

2. Deleting Hidden Folders

I did as you said, but there was no "My Music" folder displayed. On my C: I also can't see the hidden folders, even when I check the box "Hidden items". I need to be able to delete the hidden folders on my C: so that my batch file runs all the way through
    all my sub-directories.

stevebeasley, Dec 10, 2016
  3. Deleting Hidden Folders

My "Documents" folder contains 3 hidden folders - "My Music", "My Pictures" and "My Videos". I use a batch file to backup my documents, but it gets to a point and says Access denied and that it can't create a My Music folder on the backup drive. It then
    doesn't continue backing up my "Documents".

How can I delete these hidden folders so I can backup all my documents?

stevebeasley, Dec 10, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Deleting a Hidden Folder

Well, it seems to be already deleted. program will try to undelete it (put it back where it was deleted from).

CountMike, Dec 10, 2016
  5. sikm Win User
    No it's not deleted just hidden. The other folders you can see there - apart from those with a red cross - are all visible and can be accessed via Explorer the exception is The folder with the symbol name which can't be seen in Explorer.

6. CountMike New Member
    OK, so did you try to change it's attribute ? File and folder options > Show hidden folders ?

CountMike, Dec 10, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
  8. CountMike New Member

Deleting a Hidden Folder

Maybe you can do a search for that folder, it should show up even if hidden.
    As a last resort you could use a live Linux to find it and eliminate it.

CountMike, Dec 10, 2016
  9. sikm Win User
    To try any of these solutions I must be able to reference the folder by name.

To clarify what I've tried to get across before: The folder cannot be seen or referenced when using Explorer or the like. The only way I can 'see' the folder is by using the WinUtilities Undelete function (and I'm sure other software that can also do this) but all that does is show the folder and allow one to copy the contents to move somewhere else.

This function is obviously there to allow the recovery of Deleted files but the file I'm talking of is Hidden, NOT deleted. However having revealed the folder there is no function to allow one to delete the folder nor it's contents.

10. Agreed.

Take note of the path to the mystery folder (the drive letter will be irrelevant):
    • Start a Live Linux CD/DVD/USB
    • Locate your Windows partition in the file manager
    • Navigate to the mystery folder
    • Delete it

lehnerus2000, Dec 11, 2016
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    In lieu of a live Linux, if he does not have one and doesn't want to get into Linux....there's always Kyhi's Rescue. Just a thought......

f14tomcat, Dec 11, 2016
  12. sikm Win User
    Can't do this, can't access the folder.

13. sikm Win User

Deleting a Hidden Folder

Linux sounds as if it might be the go. Would Puppy do?

14. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Dec 11, 2016
  15. I've never used Puppy, but if you are comfortable with using it, I don't see why it wouldn't work. *Smile

Here is a SevenForums Tutorial about creating a Peppermint-based recovery CD/DVD/USB:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...cy-backup.html

lehnerus2000, Dec 11, 2016
Thema:

Deleting a Hidden Folder

1. Deleting a Hidden Folder - Similar Threads - Deleting Hidden Folder

2. How do I delete a hidden sysmon folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete a hidden sysmon folder?: I installed sysmon for school activities, however after uninstalling, I ran a storage check using TreeSize and found a hidden Sysmon folder. Tried deleting its content 12gb~ but I require permission from.. myself? I tried to mess around with permissions of the hidden sysmon...
  3. How do I delete a hidden sysmon folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I delete a hidden sysmon folder?: I installed sysmon for school activities, however after uninstalling, I ran a storage check using TreeSize and found a hidden Sysmon folder. Tried deleting its content 12gb~ but I require permission from.. myself? I tried to mess around with permissions of the hidden sysmon...
  4. How do I delete a hidden sysmon folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden folders: Here are two folder that you cannot view in File Explorer unless you know the path to them and even if you do, the folder name does not show: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations...
  6. hidden folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hidden folders: Hello I was trying to find out if there was anything hidden in my laptop. when I put folders in taskbar and clicked on protected folders Windows Security Came Up Then a message popped up saying: Page Not Available... Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of...
  7. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folders: I would appreciate assistance. I have shared privileges with my Manager. I have access to her Mailbox and have full permissions. I experience the following problem. Recently, when I create a New Folder in Manager's Inbox, the folder in question is not visible on my side....
  8. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  9. Hidden folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden folder: How can I access a file in a hidden folder on my Desktop WITHOUT unhiding the folder? Onlookers need not be aware of the folder's existence, let alone its location . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-folder/3bf8a7d1-28c2-485a-9cb6-b802d05e429e"
  10. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920