Windows 10: Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue

Discus and support Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by V. Will, Jul 11, 2018.

1. V. Will Win User

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue [​IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched up ways to do so, but i got stuck when I encountered the window that mentions ‘Object Name’ and such. I was confused on what that means and what I have to do, any suggestions?

:)

V. Will, Jul 11, 2018
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code: icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f[/quote] This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.[/quote] I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Jul 11, 2018
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Hydrate Win User

File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code: icacls "C:" /t /c /q /RESET[/quote] This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code: icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f[/quote] This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue - Similar Threads - Deleting Changing File

2. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  3. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  4. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Delete File - Permission Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete File - Permission Issue: Hi, I've read various forums, but I can't seem to delete file due to ownership permissions. I've right-clicked on the .exe, selected Properties, went to the Security tab, and clicked Advanced. However, the Permissions tab and Audit and Effective Access states that I don't...
  6. Cannot delete files, permission/encryption issue

Cannot delete files, permission/encryption issue: I recently installed Phantasy Star Online 2 with Microsoft Store. The application has caused me permission issues for the second time involving this game. The issue both times has begun with when the I execute the game file, nothing happens at all. I approached the...
  7. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"
  8. File deletion, change permissions . .so complicated

File deletion, change permissions . .so complicated: Trying to delete a file but need to change permissions . .why so complicated? I want to install a file of the same name but it won't let me until I get rid of the other file. In properties there are 9 users/groups in security and 15 group/users in advanced? how do know which...
  9. Permissions issue when trying to change file properties

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions issue when trying to change file properties: Hi all - Problem Description: I have a number of media files from ripping/converting my DVDs to a drive that I use for streaming. Some of the older files I have have data in them in properties (Right click file, left click Properties, Details Tab) that for whatever...
  10. File permissions to delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    File permissions to delete file: I keep having the issue of not being able to delete files without permissions. I looked up many tutorials and none of them worked for me. [img] 87463