Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue

Discus and support Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by V. Will, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:02 PM.

1. V. Will Win User

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue [​IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched up ways to do so, but i got stuck when I encountered the window that mentions ‘Object Name’ and such. I was confused on what that means and what I have to do, any suggestions?

:)

2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code: icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f[/quote] This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.[/quote] I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

3. Rajeshwari_Patil Win User
    Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM
  4. Hydrate Win User

File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code: icacls "C:" /t /c /q /RESET[/quote] This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code: icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f[/quote] This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Thema:

1. Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue - Similar Threads - Deleting Changing File

2. deleting old windows from 2nd windows installationon D drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    deleting old windows from 2nd windows installationon D drive: I had a dual boot system with win10 on C. and win8 on D. I deleted windows dual boot and returned D to a normal drive. Apparently I didn't do it properly and I have all the windows folders that I cannot seem to set permissions properly to delete. I either get error cannot...
  3. MS illegally deleted all restore points after update

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MS illegally deleted all restore points after update: I never gave Microsoft permission to delete my restore points yet after an update MS took it on themselves to delete all my restore points. They claim they do this because the old restore points are not comparable with the new version but I rolled back the OS version to 1709...
  4. I deleted my Blue Yeti's Drivers! Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I deleted my Blue Yeti's Drivers! Help!: So last night I was being an idiot and thought if I would delete the drivers and reinstall them It would fix the problem (restarting the pc could have probably fixed this). I went to such lengths to get it back I reset my entire PC's settings, which still did nothing. Now I'm...
  5. All my files where deleted from my computer by factory eset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All my files where deleted from my computer by factory eset: I wanted to factory reset my computer, i ONLY wanted to erase games, files that i MADE, and such things. After i factory reset, it asked me if i wanted to keep or delete key files, and i pressed on reject. After, i got logged in as administrator, and as soon as i get logged...
  6. Ctrl-Alt-Delete Screen Color won't change with accent color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ctrl-Alt-Delete Screen Color won't change with accent color: Hey guys, This is my first post here!*Smile So, I've run into some trouble with Win 10. I was trying to totally black out my win10 and for that I had to install custom themes and stuff but I had an issue where some parts of the theme would revert back to white after coming...
  7. Was going to change bootres.dll with new one, deleted it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Was going to change bootres.dll with new one, deleted it: but for some reason i can't restore it, it is in the recycle bin but won't let me copy the new bootres.dll or restore the original. All i did was change image of the logo, and it changed from 15 KB to 500 KB. How i restore my bootres.dll file back? 6347
  8. Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login: - Did a reset of Windows 10 on a virtual machine - The default account name is then the first 5 characters of my email account - I changed that to my real name - Rebooted - I was then offered 2 login accounts - logged in using my real name - went into account...
  9. Delete local user account or change default account on start up

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Delete local user account or change default account on start up: I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove. I have tried the usual user modification menus but this account does not show up. It is annoying to have to go through this false log in every time I start...
  10. Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further

in Windows 10 Support
    Backspace key changing last letter to x and then not deleting further: A setting has been changed (I suspect by my 3 year old) and now whenever I press the backspace key it changes the last icon to x and then won't delete any further. It means I'm having to highlight everything to delete what needs changing. I've checked keyboard functions...