Windows 10: Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue

Discus and support Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by V. Will, Jul 11, 2018.

1. V. Will Win User

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue [​IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched up ways to do so, but i got stuck when I encountered the window that mentions ‘Object Name’ and such. I was confused on what that means and what I have to do, any suggestions?

:)

V. Will, Jul 11, 2018
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code: icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f[/quote] This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.[/quote] I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Jul 11, 2018
  3. Rajeshwari_Patil Win User
    Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Hydrate Win User

File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code: icacls "C:" /t /c /q /RESET[/quote] This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code: icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f[/quote] This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue - Similar Threads - Deleting Changing File

2. Issue with permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with permission: I prefer Opera browser to Edge but when I try to open this browser, it requires permission from an adult member of a family. It is strange because I didn’t create Microsoft family account. How can I change this permission feature?...
  3. Permissions issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permissions issue: hey after an update to my graphics driver windows will no longer let me open my CDK program, although all of my permissions are there and functioning it says my admin disabled permissions to the program can you help me with this...
  4. Permission issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission issue: I've been trying to throw away a bunch of wallpapers I never use tonight and I kept getting this window (see screenshot). Can anyone tell me why and if there is something I can do to get rid of this? [img] 110564
  5. Permissions issue when trying to change file properties

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions issue when trying to change file properties: Hi all - Problem Description: I have a number of media files from ripping/converting my DVDs to a drive that I use for streaming. Some of the older files I have have data in them in properties (Right click file, left click Properties, Details Tab) that for whatever...
  6. Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder: Hi, I have a folder that I don't have permission to delete. I am using Windows 10. It seems to be owned by Laptop/path (the laptop's local account) [img] A while ago, Windows10 prompted me to change my username and sign in using a windows account....
  7. No permission to change hosts file ?

No permission to change hosts file ?: I have changed from W7 to W10 but find that although I am logged in as the administrator, I am unable to save any changes to my hosts file and get the message that I don't have accees/permission and should contact the administrator. Can anyone advise me as to what's going on...
  8. Permissions issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions issue: I have performed a clean install of Win10 on my C drive and it is running fine. My problem is when I go to install a program from a separate data store disk drive (stored on the drive over the past 5 years when I was running win7) or otherwise open a file from Win10 I...
  9. Permission Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission Issues: Windows 10 seems to have developed an issue for me that is causing UAC-like prompts suggesting that I need Administrator permission. I should probably mention that I am actually using the real Administrator account (this was an upgrade installation from Windows 7). I had to...
  10. File permissions to delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    File permissions to delete file: I keep having the issue of not being able to delete files without permissions. I looked up many tutorials and none of them worked for me. [img] 87463