Windows 10: Deleting EFI partition I made for Ubuntu 16.04

Discus and support Deleting EFI partition I made for Ubuntu 16.04 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying to install Ubuntu on a separate partition on my secondary drive, but no longer need it as I got a laptop for it specifically. I deleted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zerrisk, Mar 19, 2017.

1. zerrisk Win User

Deleting EFI partition I made for Ubuntu 16.04

I was trying to install Ubuntu on a separate partition on my secondary drive, but no longer need it as I got a laptop for it specifically. I deleted the volumes I had for Ubuntu "/" and "/home" but remember there is 1 GB I placed for swap and 650 MB for an EFI partition to boot. How do I remove this partition?

Deleting EFI partition I made for Ubuntu 16.04 [​IMG]

I'm also trying to extend the volume back and it says "There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation."

My Disk 1 is my SSD with Windows and Disk 0 is essentially my HDD with programs and such.

I am trying to delete this as I don't need to use Ubuntu on this computer and want to extend the volume for my D: drive.

:)

zerrisk, Mar 19, 2017

2. Deleting Grub GNU

I had installed Ubuntu as a dual boot option on my laptop. I have since deleted it but no matter what I have tried I can not get the grub loader off my computer. I have tried the following:

used disk manager to delete the Ubuntu partition

tried bootrec/fix mbr and fix boot

totally reset the PC deleting all files and reinstalling windows 10

Yet its still on my laptop. Windows loads fine but I would like still like the grub loader gone. I believe its in the EFI partition and am not sure if I delete the partition through "diskpart" if it will cause problems when booting the system and if I can
    reinstall the EFI that's supposed to be there.

dropkickhazy, Mar 19, 2017
  3. Remove Grand Unified Boot Loader (GRUB) from Windows 10

I had that issue when Grub was deposited on my SSD when I had installed a Linux distro to a USB using Live Linux.

I followed the above and it didn't work, so despite installing windows again, the following below worked for me (Dell Inspiron 3148 notebook). Differences in latest version of Windows 10: CommandPrompt (Admin) is now PowerShell (Admin), and I found I had
    to omit the /S when I removed the ubuntu boot directory, so I typed rmdir ubuntu It is copied and pasted from the Ask Ubuntu forum.

This answer is for those with UEFI who have deleted the Ubuntu partitions before removing grub

You will be doing this from Windows 10. No bootable media required.

Where bootrec /fixmbr, bootsect /nt60 and the Ubuntu live with the boot-repair suggestions have failed, this has worked for me:

(This answer borrowed verbatim from here)

• Run a cmd.exe process with administrator privileges
    • Run diskpart
    • Type: list disk then sel disk X where X is the drive your boot files reside on
    • Type list vol to see all partitions (volumes) on the disk
    • Select the EFI volume by typing: sel vol Y where Y is the SYSTEM volume (this is almost always the EFI partition)
    • For convenience, assign a drive letter by typing: assign letter=Z: where Z is a free (unused) drive letter
    • Type exit to leave disk part
    • While still in the cmd prompt, type: Z: and hit enter, where Z was the drive letter you just created.
    • Type dir to list directories on this mounted EFI partition
    • If you are in the right place, you should see a directory called EFI
    • Type cd EFI and then dir to list the child directories inside EFI
    • Type rmdir /S ubuntu to delete the ubuntu boot directory
    Assuming you only ever had two operating systems (Win 10 & Ubuntu) you should now be able to boot directly to Windows without hitting the black grub screen.

staffnsnake, Mar 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you tried right clicking the partition you don't want and clicking 'Delete Volume'?

dalchina, Mar 19, 2017
  5. zerrisk Win User
    Hello, yes I'm trying but right clicking the partition (shown in the screenshot), only lists "Help."

I've tried using diskpart and it will not allow me to remove the partition that way either.
    I get an error of:

zerrisk, Mar 19, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Strange. I would try using a partition manager boot disk - boot from that and try that way.

Kyhi's disk has Minitool P. Wizard on it.
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

(One of your Recovery partitions is redundant- that's quite normal e.g. after an upgrade or an in-place repair install e.g).

dalchina, Mar 19, 2017
  7. zerrisk Win User
    Oh my goodness, I used the GNOME partition editor and just deleted it and it took like just a minute! Thank you so much for suggesting that, I was able to fix it immediately.

Two questions now,
    (1) Should I delete one of the recovery partitions, and if so, which partition do you recommend me delete and extend it to?
    (2) I forgot if my D: drive was the olive color (simple volume?) before I messed with the Ubuntu stuff. Is that okay/normal for it to be and not be a primary partition like my SSD (C drive? I have files, games, and programs on there but no Windows information/files I believe.

I am unfamiliar with this stuff, so I would like to apologize ahead of time.

Edit: I used Gparted as I did not see the link you posted when I was looking for the software when you suggested to do so! Oops haha

zerrisk, Mar 19, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

I don't know why your D: is a dynamic volume.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...(v=ws.10).aspx

I'd just leave the recovery partition alone; sure you could check which is in use; just make sure you have at least 500Mb unallocated space on your system disk ready for the next upgrade (at least that seems a good idea to me).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleting EFI partition I made for Ubuntu 16.04 - Similar Threads - Deleting EFI partition

2. Create efi partition took whole space and made huge raw efi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create efi partition took whole space and made huge raw efi: Hi.I accidentaly deleted my recoveryBoot, efi? Partition in attempt to increase my drive C space.I used testdisk to recover the partition but wasn't familiar with procedures so after loading one of the file labled D, it said to revive reboot your computer, but then my pc...
  3. Create efi partition took whole space and made huge raw efi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create efi partition took whole space and made huge raw efi: Hi.I accidentaly deleted my recoveryBoot, efi? Partition in attempt to increase my drive C space.I used testdisk to recover the partition but wasn't familiar with procedures so after loading one of the file labled D, it said to revive reboot your computer, but then my pc...
  4. EFI and Recovery partition got deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI and Recovery partition got deleted: When attempting to dual boot with Linux, my EFI boot partition and the Microsoft Reserved partition got wiped.I am currently booted into a liveuser on EndeavourOS to view my partitions in GParted. - Top unallocated is where the EFI partiton should go- /dev/sda2 are my Windows...
  5. EFI and Recovery partition got deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI and Recovery partition got deleted: When attempting to dual boot with Linux, my EFI boot partition and the Microsoft Reserved partition got wiped.I am currently booted into a liveuser on EndeavourOS to view my partitions in GParted. - Top unallocated is where the EFI partiton should go- /dev/sda2 are my Windows...
  6. EFI and Recovery partition got deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Should I delete this EFI Partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I delete this EFI Partition?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/not_sahil [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkgptx/should_i_delete_this_efi_partition/
  8. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. Can I delete one EFI partition?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I delete one EFI partition?: Hi at all! I have used this procedure to move from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. Now msinfo32 shows UEFI, but I have two EFI partitions. See here: [img] Can I delete the third partition, without making my system unbootable? Thanks in advance! 75670