Windows 10: Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up

Discus and support Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I decided to give Defender a try about a week ago and deleted Avast A/V.I use Pegasus for my email software and when I delete a group of emails, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by philherz, Feb 12, 2024.

1. philherz Win User

Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up

I decided to give Defender a try about a week ago and deleted Avast A/V.I use Pegasus for my email software and when I delete a group of emails, the CPU usage jumps way up and Pegasus says NOT RESPONDING for quite a while. Task manager shows that Antimalware Service Executable / Defender starts using significant CPU!I'm not downloading emails which is clearly something I need A/V protection for, I'm just moving emails from one folder to the Deleted Folder.Is this normal?Is there a way to stop this?Thanks

:)

philherz, Feb 12, 2024

2. deleting emails

Hi Cammy,

There are ways to delete all of your email messages at once. One of these is by using the functions or controls on your keyboard, which also applies when deleting a large number of files for our other Office products.

You may follow the steps below to complete the deletion process of your emails:

• Press the Ctrl+A button on your keyboard.
    • Once everything is highlighted, it means your emails are ready to be deleted.
    • Press the Delete button.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Engelsen Fad, Feb 12, 2024
  3. Jeroen HD Win User
    Windows Defender - high CPU and disk usage

Thank you very much for your quick response. I've taken all steps you suggested. This is the outcome:

• Add a process exclusion

Unfortunately, this didn't work. I added both a path and a process exclusion now.The task scheduler for
    • Defender looks like this for me:

Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up 500e27c6-8f11-48d6-9b5f-12b278352fcf.png

• It seems no Defender tasks have run since June 30th, yet the process continues to hog the CPU
    • I re-ran SFC /scannow. SFC could not find any integrity violations
    • I tried disabling behaviour monitoring. The setting did not persist across a reboot, and turning it off did not make a difference while my system was still running.

This was the output for Powershell:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Set-MpPreference -DisableBehaviorMonitoring $True

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-MpPreference | findstr "Behavior"

DisableBehaviorMonitoring : True

PS C:\Windows\system32>

• Scanning for viruses and leftover antivirus software. This was interesting (yet unfruitful):

Neither Kaspersky nor Emisoft could find any threats. MalwareBytes did find 5 executables in my temp folder, although Virustotal.com reported no danger for the files. This could mean it's a false positive, but I removed all traces of them anyway.

It also found two installers (PUPs) for a Spigot toolbar, I removed those as well. They probably came with some free software package, I try to prevent installing toolbars.
    • In installed AVG Anti Virus (the free version). When I rebooted after the installation, Defender was still running and taking up 25-30% of my CPU. I disabled Defender using the Group Policy editor and the service finally stopped.

AVG works for me, but like most free anti virus programs it's full of ads and "free offers" and fishy SSL/TLS interception ("web protection").

I'd like to keep using Windows Defender because it's neatly integrated into Windows 10, doesn't take a lot of resources and doesn't show annoying ads.

I hope anyone can suggest another way to fix this weird Windows Defender problem.

Jeroen HD, Feb 12, 2024
  4. Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up

How to delete suggested email addresses in Windows 10 APP 2023

There are tons of suggested email addresses that show up in a drop down menu when I am starting to type an email address into the "To:" field, when composing a new email, in Windows 10 app. They are not listed on my contacts. How can I delete these so that only the ones I use often show up? Redirecting.
    This thread is obsolete, and the steps DO NOT apply.

When following step 1) you begin typing the email address to have the suggested emails pop up - and you cannot right click, select, open contact properties at all.

When following step 2) This step is entirely ignorant of the fact that these "suggested" emails that pop up - are NOT in the contacts list.

Can someone please explain how to remove this woefully annoying "Suggested" contact, with a current method, please?

Matty_annoyed_user, Feb 12, 2024
Thema:

Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up

1. Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up - Similar Threads - Deleting Emails Defender

2. what is to best way to set up defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is to best way to set up defender: what is the best way to set up Windows Defender to maximize protection for your PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-to-best-way-to-set-up-defender/7b5d063b-fc3e-4f62-baf2-48b820a99944
  3. what is to best way to set up defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is to best way to set up defender: what is the best way to set up Windows Defender to maximize protection for your PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-to-best-way-to-set-up-defender/7b5d063b-fc3e-4f62-baf2-48b820a99944
  4. CPU Temperature jumping up and down all of a sudden

in Windows 10 News
    CPU Temperature jumping up and down all of a sudden: [IMG]There can be many reasons why your CPU might have sudden temperature spikes and dips. This will explain the reasons, and then share how you can fix it: Causes for sudden temperature spikes and dips in CPU Fluctuating CPU Load: Modern CPUs are excellent in power...
  5. Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up: I decided to give Defender a try about a week ago and deleted Avast A/V.I use Pegasus for my email software and when I delete a group of emails, the CPU usage jumps way up and Pegasus says NOT RESPONDING for quite a while. Task manager shows that Antimalware Service...
  6. Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting Emails- Defender slows up the process / CPU use jumps way up: I decided to give Defender a try about a week ago and deleted Avast A/V.I use Pegasus for my email software and when I delete a group of emails, the CPU usage jumps way up and Pegasus says NOT RESPONDING for quite a while. Task manager shows that Antimalware Service...
  7. Windows Defender - 100% CPU on boot up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender - 100% CPU on boot up: I've been looking online on how to fix this? It happens quite a lot, but not on every boot. I've just noted though, I have installations across the board of this file. Or is this correct? C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2004.6-0...
  8. Start up taking way to slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start up taking way to slow: Hi my laptop has all of a sudden has had a start up problem. It loads my system account and everthing but once I sign in. The main screen takes at the minimum a whole day to load all my applications. I can use most of them once they are all loaded but I can't access my system...
  9. slow start up and processing speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    slow start up and processing speeds: Dear all. Help. I've had my touch screen laptop for about 7 years. I'm not on Windows 10. The start up and switching between programs / apps is horrendously slow and I don't know what to do to speed it up. I have used 3.98GB of 4 GB memory. Is this the reason why it is slow?...
  10. mermgr.exe keeps jumping and uses CPU up

in Windows 10 Customization
    mermgr.exe keeps jumping and uses CPU up: Hi: Several days ago, my CPU began to be occupied by countless mermgr.exe processes (Windows Problem Reporting). I ran the Scan File Checker and it did not report any problem. To solve this, I tried to 1) disable the Problem Reporting & Windows Error...