Windows 10: Deleting .ETC files

Discus and support Deleting .ETC files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I came across a folder which was reported as empty and tried to delete it. I had to take ownership but still could not delete it --- then found it had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jan 17, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

Deleting .ETC files

I came across a folder which was reported as empty and tried to delete it. I had to take ownership but still could not delete it --- then found it had around 10 MB of .ETC log files relating to such things as incorrect shutdown from last year and this year. Can I delete these files now, and others I may find later?

:)

clayto, Jan 17, 2017
  2. AnhVo Win User

Delete files in folder System32/driver/etc

I have lots of important file in disk C and D.

AnhVo, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Delete files in folder System32/driver/etc

To answer the first question;

Do you have any important files in your Documents folder or on the Desktop? If so copy those files to an external drive like a flash drive.

To answer the second (2ND) question;

DO NOT copy files from the
    etc folder from another computer, that may damage your computer (the one without the
    etc folder files).

SkylarMcCauley, Jan 17, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Deleting .ETC files

I would do a test and trail method.
    First, make sure you know how to start up your computer in an alternate operating system, such as Ubuntu, which can read your main local drive's files. After being able to read your main drive's files in an alternate operating system, restart your computer normally.

Then, create a new folder elsewhere on your drive and move those files there (maybe somewhere far so they don't bother you as much, like: C:\Program Files\ETC Log Files )
    1) Suppose the computer has difficulties starting up or whatever, then you can start the computer up with Ubuntu, move the files back to their location, and restart, and figure out what these files really are.. but that's a different story which is very unlikely.
    2) Or, (if after moving the files and) nothing strange happens within the next few weeks to the next few months, etc.., then why not delete them, right?

pepanee, Jan 18, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    Personally I wouldn't go messing with system files manually. Run ccleaner to tidy up your PC in a safe way.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Deleting .ETC files

1. Deleting .ETC files - Similar Threads - Deleting ETC files

2. Need to refresh to update file new name / see deleted file disappear / etc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to refresh to update file new name / see deleted file disappear / etc: Is my Windows file explorer has any issue (see issues in captioned)? Thanks submitted by /u/WHSHYM [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/rensyr/need_to_refresh_to_update_file_new_name_see/
  3. Files etc gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files etc gone: Feb 27th 2021 there was an update late evening. Feb 28th early a.m. did work on computer- no files, documents , connections, history, favorites and photos all gone. Where ? how do I get at them? Why would an update do this??...
  4. etc file deleted

etc file deleted: I accidentaly deleted the etc folder. Is there any possible way to get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/etc-file-deleted/d0f0fa26-c28b-44f0-9e11-4d8fcfa57d1b
  5. WIndows 10 auto update - All files, bookmarks, etc. deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 auto update - All files, bookmarks, etc. deleted: I noticed that a Windows 10 update occurred approx. 2 weeks ago. Thought is was just my browser data that was missing, but All my files are gone including any files on my desktop. I'm restoring from my backup provider, but am extremely hot about about this. You've lost me as...
  6. Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder: I have a file in the videos folder, the full path is "C:\Users\Tony\Videos\vlc-record-2019-09-09-17h35m00s-André Rieu & Mirusia - Time To Say Goodbye-DVbOxh7tQCc.mkv-.mkv" a total of 116 characters (excluding quotes). The apparent file properties are odd, size is 16.1KB...
  7. deleted word, excel, etc

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    deleted word, excel, etc: hello there, just today my partner reset the computer, so we lost everything including our word, excel package. can you help me?? and tell me how to put it back on our laptop Thanks...
  8. MS Update Wipes/deletes my desktop files, setting and bookmarks, etc.

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Update Wipes/deletes my desktop files, setting and bookmarks, etc.: Hi, Every single Windows 10 update, which is 3 or 4 now, my desktop files get wiped including my settings, browser info, etc. Anyone know the solution or whom o contact at MS for a solution?...
  9. files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc

files being deleted, computer turning on on it's own, etc: for a while now I've noticed after pushing a new update on my computer the computer for the next couple of days will turn on all on it's own a few minutes to several hours later without anyone being near it. This normally happens if I choose the "update and shut down" option...
  10. Windows Defender won't list Excluded files, File Locations, etc..etc

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't list Excluded files, File Locations, etc..etc: Hi all, I have selected certain file types / folders and locations in Windows Defender on Windows 10 that were added to the exclusions lists... Previously I could go to Windows Defender and see what files, folders or extensions I had excluded but now they have...