Windows 10: deleting folders inside Users Folder

Discus and support deleting folders inside Users Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I want to delete some folders that belong to Users Folder, is that going to cause my system problems? 65862 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NourinE, Oct 3, 2016.

1. NourinE Win User

deleting folders inside Users Folder

Hello,
    I want to delete some folders that belong to Users Folder, is that going to cause my system problems?

:)

NourinE, Oct 3, 2016

2. backup to F drive

File History should not be trying to backup the system32 folder.

Further, the "systemprofile" folder contained inside the system32\config folder should not have a documents or pictures subfolder inside it.

I would delete and re-configure your file history settings and make sure to only include actual user file folders stored inside C:\Users folder.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 3, 2016
  3. enkeli33 Win User
    Application Data in User folder

Hi, folks

I have a question. I found a folder "Application Data" in c:\users\myname folder...

Inside is folder "Microsoft" and inside is folder "Forms" and inside is files:

ACAM.box

XtremeSuiteControls.exd

XtremeCommandBars.exd

XtremeReportControl.exd

So, what is it? Is it important? Can I delete it? And if I can't, is there at least an option to change the directory of this folder?

Thanks...

enkeli33, Oct 3, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Don't delete "Public" or your Account.

If you have enabled the built in Administrator account and are using it then don't delete that.

You can delete the others.

lx07, Oct 3, 2016
  5. NourinE Win User
    thanks a bundle
    I deleted them and some of them recreated themselves right after the restart.

NourinE, Oct 3, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Which ones? For a standard Windows 10 with one user you will have "You", "Public" and a hidden one called "Default"

You will not have Administrator unless you enable it and sign on as the built in Administrator.
    "Default.migrated" is the old "Default" user copied when you upgrade. It can definitely be deleted.
    "DefaultAccount" and "Guest" don't really exist in 10.
    "HomeGroupUser$" shouldn't really be there but is sometimes created when you enable homegroup sharing.

lx07, Oct 3, 2016
  7. NourinE Win User
    I have homegroup enabled. the only I deleted and disappeared is 'Default.migrated'

NourinE, Oct 4, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Guest account doesn't really exist in Windows 10. You can enable it but it breaks Windows if you sign on. Better to make sure to check it is not enabled. Why is the guest account missing/broken in Windows 10? - Super User

If you aren't using the built in administrator your should disable that also.

The DefaultAccount is new in Windows 10 and is another system account that is also normally disabled. It is a big unclear what it is used for so I'd leave it disabled.

To ensure these 3 are disabled, from elevated command prompt: Code: net user guest /active:no net user Administrator /active:no net user DefaultAccount /active:no[/quote] Then you can then delete the folders in Users directory and they should not come back (you may need to take ownership first).

If this isn't working or these folders are being recreated please post results of net user administrator, net user guest and net user defaultaccount and a screen print showing the folders creation date like in your first post above.

lx07, Oct 4, 2016
  9. NourinE Win User
    I followed all the instructions you provided, after the restart all the folders were back. (guest/Administrator/DefaultAccount)

NourinE, Oct 4, 2016
  10. NourinE Win User
    I can't delete them, I'll post the results

NourinE, Oct 8, 2016
  11. NourinE Win User
    I have deleted 'Administrator / Guest / Default Account' and restarted my computer.

deleting folders inside Users Folder [​IMG]

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user administrator
    User name Administrator
    Full Name
    Comment Built-in account for administering the computer/domain
    User's comment
    Country/region code 000 (System Default)
    Account active No
    Account expires Never

Password last set 07/26/2012 8:27:03 AM
    Password expires Never
    Password changeable 07/26/2012 8:27:03 AM
    Password required Yes
    User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
    Logon script
    User profile
    Home directory
    Last logon 07/26/2012 8:22:17 AM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators
    Global Group memberships *None
    The command completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user guest
    User name Guest
    Full Name
    Comment Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain
    User's comment
    Account active No
    Account expires Never

Password last set 10/05/2016 4:03:52 PM
    Password expires Never
    Password changeable 10/05/2016 4:03:52 PM
    Password required No
    User may change password No

Workstations allowed All
    Logon script
    User profile
    Home directory
    Last logon Never

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Guests

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user defaultaccount
    User name DefaultAccount
    Full Name
    Comment A user account managed by the system.
    User's comment
    Account active No
    Account expires Never

Password last set 10/09/2016 3:41:24 PM
    Password expires 11/20/2016 3:41:24 PM
    Password changeable 10/09/2016 3:41:24 PM
    Password required Yes
    User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
    Logon script
    User profile
    Home directory
    Last logon Never

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *HomeUsers

NourinE, Oct 8, 2016
  12. mrgeek Win User
    lx07 said: The DefaultAccount is new in Windows 10 and is another system account that is also normally disabled. It is a big unclear what it is used for so I'd leave it disabled.

I believe the Default is the Template for all User Accounts. If you create a new User, say a Local Acct these are the default folders and NTUSERS.dat that will be applied. Should never be deleted.

mrgeek, Oct 8, 2016
  13. NourinE Win User

mrgreek
    how to disable Default Account?

NourinE, Oct 8, 2016
  14. NourinE Win User
    by the way, I'm connecting to Windows using Microsoft Account

NourinE, Oct 8, 2016
  15. mrgeek Win User

Default is hidden folder. It's folders are copied to any new accts you create. These are all of my User folders.

deleting folders inside Users Folder [​IMG]

mrgeek, Oct 9, 2016
Thema:

1. deleting folders inside Users Folder - Similar Threads - deleting folders inside

2. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  3. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  4. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  5. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted user folder: Hey Microsoft, I deleted my user folder on my Windows folder, to try to get space to reset my pc. I did not create a restore point. My apps such as my Microsoft Edge, chrome, file explorer do not work. I don't know what to do. Please help me. My pc is not working. And yes I...
  6. Deleted user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Deleted a users folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted a users folder: Hello. I've deleted one of the users folders 2 weeks ago which was, to put it simply, a VERY, VERY DUMB idea. At first, I thought nothing of it as windows loaded up and worked but then, as expected, problems appeared as soon as I restarted the computer. first of all, some...
  8. How to rename the folder inside the user folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to rename the folder inside the user folder?: Guys, I bought a laptop recently, and the guy who set it up named it ASUS. I am logged in with my Microsoft id, I changed the pc name in settings, then too in CMD and vs code terminal, it shows "C:\Users\Asus>" This is driving me CRAZY !!! Can't I name my Laptop Donut? pls...
  9. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9655
  10. Deleted User Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Folders: I have two users whose accounts have been deleted but their folders under C Users are re-created on restart after deleting them. Hang over from W7 but can anyone help me permanently delete the in W10? 9651