Windows 10: Deleting old files on System32, when I upgrade from win7

Discus and support Deleting old files on System32, when I upgrade from win7 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Well I have some old files, from a grafic card. An Ati driver. Well when I try to delete it, it asked for premission. But when I when in propeties,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MsGeek, Aug 9, 2015.

1. MsGeek Win User

Deleting old files on System32, when I upgrade from win7

Well I have some old files, from a grafic card. An Ati driver. Well when I try to delete it, it asked for premission. But when I when in propeties, clicked show and I cannot change the premission. So those files is in the background on the taskbar. I went to safe boot, try to delete them. No luck. So what is the proper way to do this?

:)

MsGeek, Aug 9, 2015
  2. Genezz Win User

Removing residual Win-7 after the free uopgrade to Win10

When I upgraded to the free Win10 last year, it stated that I could revert to Win7 at any time as long as the Win7 files were retained. OK, I think at this point I will not be restoring Win7. So how to I delete all the Win7 files that was retained? Is
    there a uninstall or is it a folder or hidden folder that can be simply deleted.

So far, I have not seen this issue addressed as is the reverse.

Genezz, Aug 9, 2015
  3. How to remove "C:\HiddenBootMount\" and its files?

I upgraded from Win7 using the following procedure:

- clone my HD to a new SSD,

- install the SDD,

- upgrade to Win 10,

- ran Cleanmgr using an admin account to delete the old files.

The only thing that remains and causes errors using NovaBackup are some files in the C:\HiddenBootMount\ directory.

They cannot be removed because I need permission from "SYSTEM" or "TrustedInstaller" , depending on the file.

Any help is much appreciated.

Dick van Noort, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Deleting old files on System32, when I upgrade from win7

It is always better to uninstall the driver files in Device Manager or in Programs & Features, but you say this is an old file so that might not work.

If the files are small or not being called, then it's probably best to leave them where they are.

If you really want to delete the file(s), and I caution you against doing that, then you can try taking ownership of the file.
    Properties > Security tab > Advanced button
    At the top of the dialog box, press Change for the Owner
    Type your login ID in the Select user box
    Press [ OK ] until you're back at the first Security dialog window
    Than add your login ID to the list and give it full access.

Full tutorial here: Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Option Four: To Change Owner of Object in Advanced Security Settings Dialog
    Option four is what I described, the tutorial has all of the details.

Slartybart, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

Deleting old files on System32, when I upgrade from win7

1. Deleting old files on System32, when I upgrade from win7 - Similar Threads - Deleting old files

2. I deleted System32

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I deleted System32: ok so, i delete system32 from my c; drive because ive read it would free space from the drive. ive tried downloading windows again, doing like everything, but nothing worked or just failed. i tried restarting my computer, but when it starting to boot up, the message “your pc...
  3. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  4. Recovery Partition Upgraded when Upgrading from Win7? Or just delete.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Partition Upgraded when Upgrading from Win7? Or just delete.: Two questions: 1. My Lenovo T520 had some type of recovery partition on Windows 7 pro when I bought it as a refurbished from IBM. Not original OEM. Never had need to use it. When Windows 7 is upgraded to Windows 10, does the recovery partition also get upgraded? 2. If I...
  5. Upgrade to Pro with old Win7 OA key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to Pro with old Win7 OA key: I have an old ThinkPad with a "Windows 7 Pro OA for Lenovo" sticker. The ThinkPad does not use Windows at the time. (It has no HDD/SSD at all at the moment) I also bought an Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home yesterday. They had neither Pro devices for 800€ or less nor Licences...
  6. system32 and user file deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    system32 and user file deleted: Hi please help I did a CHKDSK and now it has corrupted my Hard drive, it deleted system32 and user files but the hard drive says it does not have enough space Your help will be appreciated Regards Criz...
  7. Errors when upgrading from Win7 to Win10

Errors when upgrading from Win7 to Win10: Hello, I'm trying to upgrade my Win7 OS to Win10. I have launched the MediaCreationTool1903. I end up with an error REPLICATE_OC in the phase SAFE_OS. 0x8007001F - 0x20006. I have noticed the CBS.log file contained some errors like: Error CBS Failed...
  8. Upgraded from Win7 to Win10, can't delete old Adobe folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded from Win7 to Win10, can't delete old Adobe folder.: Recently, I had replacements done on my desktop rig, including motherboard, CPU, 4x the amount of RAM than I used to have (32GB now, 8GB before), and two new SSDs. There is one issue I have with the secondary SSD, but that is beside the point of the question I have for this...
  9. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716
  10. When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1

in Windows 10 Support
    When is the deadline for upgrading from Win7, 8, 8.1: Hi, i just want to know the deadline for upgrading from Windows 7 or 8. 57249