Windows 10: Deleting previous windows partition

Discus and support Deleting previous windows partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I just upgraded my laptop from windows 8 to win 10. The free upgrade of course did not delete my files from window 8 so I went ahead and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jay21, Aug 25, 2015.

1. jay21 Win User

Deleting previous windows partition

Hi,

I just upgraded my laptop from windows 8 to win 10. The free upgrade of course did not delete my files from window 8 so I went ahead and installed windows 10 on to my USB and booted from it for a clean install. While installing win 10 however I managed to do it on my C drive. I believe my previous OS was on D drive as when I go into my system properties now, C drive = 373 GB free from 393 GB which has the windows icon over it to show that OS is inside it and the 'D' drive has only 43 GB free from 393 GB capacity.

I would like to free up my D drive and delete all previous files and maybe also remove partition and only have one storage which is C drive. Could someone tell me how to do it? Do I just go into my D drive and delete all the files inside it? such program files x86 etc? while running window 8 I managed to get a lot of spyware, adware etc on my system and hence why I preferred a clean install of windows 10.

:)

jay21, Aug 25, 2015

2. If I do the Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade, and 2 years from now do a factory reset, what will happen?

There will be in an option to roll back to windows 8.1 as long as you don't delete windows.old or do a disk cleanup and remove previous Windows information. If you do happen to delete the previous windows installation or Windows.old, you will then have to
    reinstall Windows 8.1 to get back into that version of Windows.

Not sure how the recover partition will work as I build my own computers and don't have a recover partition.

David Rushing, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 installation medium deletion other partitions

Installing the Windows 10 medium on a 32GB partition of my portable hard drive, it deleted all other partitions from the hard drive, deleting my entire backup of my previous laptop that I sold. I just lost all pictures I have ever taken. The deletion of
    the other partitions was completely unnecessary. How can I recover my other partition on the 2GB USB drive?

mark-microsoft, Aug 25, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Install MiniTool Partition Wizard free in your Windows 10 on C: drive. If you don't want anything on your D: drive partition, just delete the partition and then expand the C: drive partition to fill up the empty space.

You can also do it in Disk Management that comes with Windows, but I have never trusted that to do what I want and Partition Wizard is much easier to use.

CAUTION

Make sure the D: drive partition is not the active partition! If it is, your computer won't boot until you fix your startup files moving them to the C: drive partition. If D: drive is not set as active, though, you don't have to worry about that. Partition Wizard should tell you which partition is the active partition.

NavyLCDR, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Deleting previous windows partition - Similar Threads - Deleting previous partition

2. Deleting previous windows files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting previous windows files: Hi, i have a problem deleting the previous win files.i deleted some files but then doesnt let me delete the rest.it says that i require permission from administrators while im on admin acc...
  3. Deleting previous windows files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting previous windows files: Hi, i have a problem deleting the previous win files.i deleted some files but then doesnt let me delete the rest.it says that i require permission from administrators while im on admin acc...
  4. Deleting previous windows files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DELETING PARTITION: Hi, guys. Have been trying to delete free space partition so that i can create unallocated space but the option is grayed. Have searched for answers everywhere but found no solution. Hope one will help me here....
  6. DELETING PARTITION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DELETING PARTITION: Hi, guys. Have been trying to delete free space partition so that i can create unallocated space but the option is grayed. Have searched for answers everywhere but found no solution. Hope one will help me here....
  7. Deleted Partition

Deleted Partition: Hi, I have 1TB disk and someday I splitted the disk. So I had C 200gb and D 800gb. Today I managed to restore my PC and somehow the D partition has disappeared. Now I only have 200gb. What can I do? I already tried 3 different programs to recover the partition but none of...
  8. Install Windows 10 without deleting all previous partitions on the harddisk.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 without deleting all previous partitions on the harddisk.: I was trying to install windows 10 in my Asus X441N which has no lagacy boot option so I had to install it in UEFI mode. In the setup I selected an unalocated space of 100GiB and pressed next and it created three partition Windows, System, Recovery then complained about the...
  9. "Delete previous version of Windows"?

"Delete previous version of Windows"?: After recently updating my Windows with the August update a few days ago, I'm getting a question on my computer now to delete my previous version of windows, because I'm low on storage space. Just wondering if this is a safe and recommended thing to do? Thanks....
  10. deleting partitions,..

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    deleting partitions,..: i deleted all the partitions on my hdd,..and created new partitions,...now i cant get the os to install,... 27198