Windows 10: Deleting system image

Discus and support Deleting system image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I want to delete a Windows 10 system image created by the windows builtin tool Windows backup and restore because it takes up so much space ( 250... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by oeivinr, Oct 30, 2017.

1. oeivinr Win User

Deleting system image

Hi,
    I want to delete a Windows 10 system image created by the windows builtin tool Windows backup and restore because it takes up so much space ( 250 Gb) and because it was saved to an internal drive ( not C: ) which is no so good I have been told. Kari, on this forum suggested simply to delete the file WindowsImageBackup, but when I tap properties for this folder it shows that the folder is empty. How can 250GB reside in an empty folder?

Further, I have installed Macrium Reflect free and want to image my system to an external 500GB drive which I believe is more secure. On second thought, what happens when Microsoft launches its next creator update, do I have to image
    again from scratch or is Macrium incremental?

:)

oeivinr, Oct 30, 2017
  2. Nguyen992 Win User

Safely delete system image backup on Window

Hi everyone,

I have created a system image backup and saved it on the internal hard drive "E:\". Because its size was 97 GB, I want to delete it and will create another one and save it on my external hard drive later. The image included 9GB of data files and 88 GB of
    system image.

Deleting system image [​IMG]

When I go into "Manage backup disc space", it only allowed me to remove 9GB of data files, like this

So does anyone know how to completely and safely remove the remain 88 GB of system image?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestion

Nguyen992, Oct 30, 2017
  3. Safely delete system image backup on Window

I generally delete it like any folder>Right click and delete.It causes/should cause no harm.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 30, 2017
  4. Deleting system image

I do a full image using MR ion a daily basis. If you want to get rid of that Folder take ownership of it and then delete it. It is always better to use an external Drive. My backup only takes about 3 minutes.

Josey Wales, Oct 30, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    With the Windows built in system imaging you don't even need to do that.

The image is in a folder with your PC's name inside the WindowsImageBackup folder on the drive you saved it to. You do not (yet) have permission to view this subfolder, so you can't see it's properties. However, if you try to open the subfolder you'll be asked 'do you want to gain permanent access to it?' - say 'Yes' and you'll be able to see it (the same applies to the subfolders it contains). Do that for the folder and all its subfolders and you'll be able to see the properties in full.

But just to delete it, you already have sufficient permission if your account is an administrator. It is perfectly safe to delete it. As a regular user of Windows' own system imaging I do it all the time.

Is that another partition on the same drive? It's not 'bad' as such, it's just no use to you if the drive fails. I keep a system image on my D: drive, it's a convenient way to do a quick restore should I want one - but I don't rely on it for disaster recovery. For that I also have a system image on an external HDD.

6. cereberus Win User
    Making a full image backup after each build upgrade, and at least monthly thereafter is a good plan.

In theory, Macrium can handle a full image on one build, and an incremental on next, but I think risk is too high.

If it went wrong, and you could only restore full image, you would restore old build, making you go through upgrade again.

cereberus, Oct 30, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    If you delete your 'WindowsImageBackup' folder you will delete the initial backup and any following differentials that were made whenever the program was subsequently run.

It is normal for the folder to show as empty.

If you delete the folder then please also run a disk clean on the drive or partition that held the backup and be sure to use the 'clean system files' option, finally clicking 'more options' and select delete shadow copies. This is because deleting the folder alone will not free up all the space used if the program has been run more than once, there are also hidden restore points (for want of a better word) created along with the backup that take up many Gb.

(Fwiw, the Windows imaging utility is extremely good once you get to grips with it and are comfortable managing/moving and renaming backups)

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Deleting system image

1. Deleting system image - Similar Threads - Deleting system image

2. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  3. System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image not Recognized by System Image Recovery: I used the Backup and Restore Windows 7 tool to create a system image, which I stored on my NAS. I then copied that image to a new, clean drive. I attempted to use that to image a drive on a new computer using the Windows Recovery environment and selecting Recovery from a...
  4. System Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Image: After a computer 'crash' I am trying to restore from a System Image on an external hardrive after rebooting from a usb recovery. However it fails because Windows 10 Cannot find the Image on the hardrive. What is happening here?...
  5. How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore: Windows 10 64-bit. When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an...
  6. How do I delete windows system image??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I delete windows system image??: I recently did a backup but I now want to delete it because it takes up too much space. The windows system image in my D: hard drive takes up 200 GB. Whenever I try to delete it I get an error that it's being "used in another program". I've tried to delete via system...
  7. Deleting system image file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting system image file: Hi I have read lots of advice about deleting system image files but I get blocked everytime by the message 'file is in use and cannot be deleted' and I have no idea how to get around this any suggestions please. Windows 10 user#...
  8. System image

System image: Am currently doing a system image (using the built in Windows 10 tool) for first time. My external HD is a 3 TB seagate connected via USB 3.0. The image I am taking is of my C: drive (Samsung Evo SSD, 300 gig out of 500 full) plus the secondary drive which only currently has...
  9. System Image

System Image: I wanted to create a system image to backup my PC as this is the second time I've had to format my PC. But when it asks me where to save it, I'm unable to choose the option, "On a hard disk". [img] 17309
  10. System Image

System Image: Hi. I am trying to restore a system image to my laptop. I received the following error message: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information.(0x80042302). I Have restarted the VSS in Windows 10....