Windows 10: Deleting The Homegroup

Discus and support Deleting The Homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OK, so having had some issues with Homegroup recently, the general advice seems to be to delete it altogether and just rely on standard networking.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by davefaz, Sep 7, 2016.

1. davefaz Win User

Deleting The Homegroup

OK, so having had some issues with Homegroup recently, the general advice seems to be to delete it altogether and just rely on standard networking.
    But I really, really don't want to have to log on to my PC's. While I understand that I can set the Windows Credentials to allow access from other PC's, it seems that if I go down that route then I will be forced to add a password to each of the PC's that will affect the ordinary logon as well as the network logon. Is that correct? It doesn't seem possible any more to just switch off password protection on a private network? So I am confused about how to proceed. Do I need to set password protection off for all networks, then turn off file sharing for guest and public?

:)

davefaz, Sep 7, 2016
  2. John Vil Win User

Created Homegroup that wont let me connect

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you delete your existing Homegroup and create a new one. To delete an existing Homegroup, kindly click on this link and follow the steps provided by Jenniclair on August 9, 2015 on how to delete a Homegroup.
    To create a new Homegroup, click on this article:
    HomeGroup from start to finish

Let us know how it goes.

John Vil, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Sidiaana Win User
    Unable to exit from/join to the HomeGroup.

Original title: Homegroup

I can't join or leave my existing homegroup.

I can't delete the existing homegroup. It tells me that the user I'm using is the administrator, but it won't let me get to the homegroup to either show the password of the existing homegroup or to delete it.

I tripple checked every computer that is showing on my network list as connected, but neither of the computers is on the homegroup.

HOW can I get rid of the existing homegroup? Or make it possible for my computers to join that homegroup?

Sidiaana, Sep 7, 2016
  4. PiKo Win User

Deleting The Homegroup

If you define an EXTRA user with user name and password and give that user the appropriate sharing and security options on the other PC, you may be able to approach the other PC using these credentials. You still startup both PC's as you always did with their own users (or as administrator).

PiKo, Sep 7, 2016
  5. Kbird Win User
    apparently the demise of turning off passwords has been greatly exaggerated *Smile it is still done the same was as always , even in win10.

and yes normal networking with a password is far better , once setup in Cred. Manager on each PC you are never asked again and then you turn off logon too with........

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup - Windows 10 Forums

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Deleting The Homegroup

1. Deleting The Homegroup - Similar Threads - Deleting Homegroup

2. Windows 10: Wish to delete user account and create it again

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10: Wish to delete user account and create it again: I have set up a new Windows 10 Pro PC with several user accounts. I entered the password on one account incorrectly when I created the user account. Now I don't remember it. Is it possible to completely delete the user account, then re-create another one using the same name?...
  3. Windows 10: Wish to delete user account and create it again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Wish to delete user account and create it again: I have set up a new Windows 10 Pro PC with several user accounts. I entered the password on one account incorrectly when I created the user account. Now I don't remember it. Is it possible to completely delete the user account, then re-create another one using the same name?...
  4. Windows 10: Wish to delete user account and create it again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I delete a folder created by mounting the uncompressed install.wim file: A quick background: I was extending my recovery drive for the workaround for the win update error: 0x80070643 Windows 10 KB503444. In the process, I had to restore the RE image. I executed: dism /mount-wim /wimfile:"c:\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mountwim /readonly It...
  6. HOW DO I DELETE A HOMEGROUP NETWORK CONNECTION FROM WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HOW DO I DELETE A HOMEGROUP NETWORK CONNECTION FROM WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803: I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1803 AND NEED TO DELETE A HOMEGROUP NETWORK CONNECTION THAT IS NO LONGER NEEDED?. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-delete-a-homegroup-network-connection/e10b479c-1612-4f8f-af01-51d03463d9b7
  7. Homegroup - How to delete?

Homegroup - How to delete?: Before I upgraded all of our computers to W10 they were on W7 and we had a homegroup set up and working. For some reason none of the computers can connect to the homegroup anymore - I get the "you can join the workgroup" message and the box to enter the password. Guess...
  8. How do I delete a Homegroup from the network

How do I delete a Homegroup from the network: OK, just upgraded to Windows 10 and I am unable to create a new Homegroup because one that I created a long time ago is still showing up. I do not remember the password to join it and that user has been formatted a long time ago. I cannot find anything online that can get rid...
  9. Can't Join or Delete Homegroup

Can't Join or Delete Homegroup: I have a 3 PC ("Server" and two others) home network. On my Server, OLDLOCALUSER created a Homegroup in Win7. I upgraded all 3 PCs from Win7 to Win10. On my Server, I changed my OLDLOCALUSER to NEWMSACCOUNT. I also created NEWMSACCOUNT on the two other PCs. I lost the...
  10. Deleting/Removing Old Homegroup Users

Deleting/Removing Old Homegroup Users: I recently had a mate over whom I added to my homegroup so I could copy over some files from my workstation to his laptop, lets call his laptop "Laptop1", he has since installed an SSD in his laptop and now shows up on the homegroup as a different user as we couldnt get him...