Windows 10: Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

Discus and support Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would like to know if TMP files in System Profile folder can safely be deleted ? Actual location..C:/... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by treblefree, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

I would like to know if TMP files in System Profile folder can safely be deleted ?

Actual location..C:/ Users/Windows/System32/Config/Systemprofile..

I have about 10,000 or so !

Thank you

:)

treblefree, Feb 6, 2017

2. Can someone help me write a small batch file?

No batch file or script creator is needed for this. It can all be done in one command.

Open File Explorer and browse to the folder where the .tmp files are.

Hold down the Shift key and right click on the folder, select Open command windows here

Type:

icacls *.tmp /grant Everyone:F

This will setup full control permissions for Everyone on all the *.tmp files in that folder.

You can use File Explorer to delete the files or just type the command:

del *.tmp

Note this assumes that you do want to do this for all the .tmp files in the folder, not just part of them.

A_User_Here, Feb 6, 2017
  3. ArtCohen1 Win User
    Disk Full: Windows (10) Disk full concerns

Search for File Explorer: TMP files. Search for large files such as: http://reset_safetodelete_overwritespacefile_0.tmp/

This file can be deleted safely in most cases.

Restart computer to guarantee. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SYSTEM DISKS AND BACKED UP DATA FIRST (just in case).

ArtCohen1, Feb 6, 2017
  4. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

To safely delete "System" files I would use the Windows "Disk Cleanup" tool accessed by right clicking on drive, then properties, located on General tab.

That is a very interesting location. I know I don't have a Windows\system32 folder under my Users folder.

Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Thank you for reply...Have deleted them..sorry for incorrect location...it is...
    C:/ Windows/System32/Config/SystemProfile...
    Rebooted pc..everything ok

treblefree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder

1. Deleting TMP Files In System profile folder - Similar Threads - Deleting TMP Files

2. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  3. Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tmp files appearing in folders and not deleting: I have checked Environment Variables. Both "TEMP" and "TMP" are set to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP.Any advice? Thanks in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files-appearing-in-folders-and-not-deleting/87e480be-1879-4f00-b1a6-1f43ab0db03c
  4. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  5. Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant delete TMP files inside %Temp% Folder: a little backstory, i got a bunch of viruses and had to reset my pc, and these seem to carry over and i cant get rid of them and keep getting an error that their open in another program and therefore i cannot delete them. my pc seems to be running slow and my search bar...
  6. What are these tmp folders for: is it ok to delete them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are these tmp folders for: is it ok to delete them?: I have multiple tw-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx.tmp folders inC:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local folder.They contain 299 files, 6,295 folders with a size of 34.4 MB. Most of the folders are tmp's such as tw-1b18-21dc-dfb5a.tmp. The ones I have checked have 0 bytes This...
  7. tmp files .tmp

tmp files .tmp: I can empty all data in local temp folder , but as soon as open any web browser like Chrome or Microsoft edge they reappear. The files look like fc11a109-3f15-45b0-b483-630e1584a674.tmp. If I try then to delete the files individually, I get the message " The action can't be...
  8. Can I Delete these .tmp files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I Delete these .tmp files?: Looking at this folder <C:\Program Files (x86)\CheckPoint\Endpoint Security\EFR\sentree\protections> I see a lot of tmp files - over 1400 - with a name UIDxxxxx_info.json.tmp, where x is a number, and all showing the current date. Is it safe to delete these files, not that...
  9. Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder?

Is it safe to delete the $WINDOWS.~TMP folder itself, not just the files in the folder?: I understand that I can delete the folders and files inside it, but will Windows 10 be unhappy if that folder isn't there, or will it just recreate it as needed?...
  10. Cannot delete tmp folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete tmp folders: Hi, small annoying problem, when I go to 'My PC' somehow I have a lot of temporary folders on my C: drive, and cannot get rid of them. Says that 'You require permission from the administrator to make these changes. I have tried using the command prompt with:net user...