Windows 10: Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?

Discus and support Dell BIOS Update - Should I ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8900 desktop tower. I am getting a message telling me there is a Dell BIOS update available and recommending that I do it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by abredt, Feb 17, 2016.

1. abredt Win User

Dell BIOS Update - Should I ?

Windows 10 on a Dell XPS8900 desktop tower. I am getting a message telling me there is a Dell BIOS update available and recommending that I do it.

In the systray, there is a Dell icon that says my system is up to date.

Should I ignore the BIOS update? Sounds major and I'm nervous about it.
    Thanks, cb

:)

abredt, Feb 17, 2016
  2. Prince_M Win User

Win 10 upgrade BIOS not supported

I'm having Dell N5110 with A07 BIOS right now, should i use Media Creation Tool without ugrading BIOS to A11.

Prince_M, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Ray1311 Win User
    Dell Inspiron 7459 system BIOS update

Should I install Dell inspiron 7459 system BIOS update in my windows 10 system?

Ray1311, Feb 17, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

How is your PC working?? If it's not having any issues I wouldn't.

Even BIOS updates make me nervous.. *Shock

BunnyJ, Feb 17, 2016
  5. For home-built systems, I only do so if the BIOS update mentions something that applies to my set up, such as support for a new processor I might upgrade or better memory timings. On an OEM system, like a Dell, I always do. The hardware is controlled and chosen by one company and it's been tested quite a bit before being released. As long as the BIOS isn't listed as beta, I apply it. There is MUCH less risk updating the BIOS on an OEM system. Dell's do a great job of verifying the compatibility before proceeding.

DeaconFrost, Feb 17, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I'll defer to you on this one because I haven't had to update a BIOS in some time and I'm not as familiar with what Dell is doing... I would be careful.

BunnyJ, Feb 17, 2016
  7. I've accidentally tried using the wrong BIOS file on a laptop recently. I had a 7250 and accidentally tried the 7450's file. I was immediately greeted with a message that the file was wrong and the process would be stopped.

I've been using Dell laptops exclusively for 10 years now, and haven't had a single issue updating the BIOS. I would always keep the latest ones on a flash drive, so if I would work on a system, I'd upgrade the BIOS, too.

DeaconFrost, Feb 17, 2016
  8. Drybonz Win User

Probably not worth the five minutes it would take you to flash it. Unless there is some outstanding issue that you know it will fix I wouldn't worry about it.

Drybonz, Feb 17, 2016
  9. abredt Win User
    I'm not having problems, so I'll not do it.
    Thanks, cb

abredt, Feb 18, 2016
  10. Clint Win User
    I have Dell XPS 8900. I went to there web site to see what was updated. This is what I saw.

"Dell XPS 8900 System BIOS

This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell XPS 8900 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.
    Fixes & Enhancements
    Enhancements
    - Improved system stability for virtual machine environment
    - Improved system stability for long Media playback.
    - Updated Dell Diagnostic to 4302.15"

I downloaded the file, but I'm not going to install it yet. I'm not having any problems that I think that will fix. If it don't go correct, you end up with a black brick on your desk. I've never updated a BIOS.

Clint, Feb 18, 2016
  11. Most systems have some type of recovery process built-in. Updating a BIOS is no where near as dangerous as it used to be 10-15 years ago. It's a pretty simple, painless process now.

DeaconFrost, Feb 18, 2016
  12. abredt Win User
    What kind of problems might need a BIOS update?
    Thanks, cb

abredt, Feb 18, 2016
  13. brummyfan Win User

That's a wise decision *Thumbs

brummyfan, Feb 18, 2016
  14. SoFine409 Win User
    If you look thru the posts for BSOD issues you will see that lots of stability problems are caused by outdated BIOS. Updating is quick and painless way to ensure that future problems are eliminated. I update mine whenever they are available and have never had a problem.

SoFine409, Feb 18, 2016
  15. A bios update is issued to correct system stability issues. Update the bios as long as it is for win10 xx bit (where xx bit is your OS system type i.e. 32 or 64 bit).

lopedoggie, Feb 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Dell BIOS Update - Should I ? - Similar Threads - Dell BIOS Update

2. NEED QUICK REPLY - Should I update my BIOS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NEED QUICK REPLY - Should I update my BIOS?: I have an old laptop from Dell, and on their support website, it shows me a bunch of drivers for update, including an update to the BIOS firmware, and it also categorizes it as "urgent". Now I know the risks of updating my BIOS firmware, that is why I am asking this. Even...
  3. Should I update BIOS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I update BIOS?: I've been having trouble with my internet for a few months now. My laptop disconnects from Wi-Fi 1-2 times every hour, whether it's my home Wi-Fi, school Wi-Fi, or personal hotspot. When I troubleshooted a few weeks ago I got the message "a network cable is not properly...
  4. Alienware (Dell) BIOS update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alienware (Dell) BIOS update: Denis @Try3 I have started a thread here to try to better explain and not clog up Site Bugs. Site Bugs and Suggestions [4] Normally, since I've had this machine, about 3 1/2 years, BIOS updates are shown to me as part of the Alienware Update app or if I go to Dell Support...
  5. DELL BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DELL BIOS: I can’t access to bios of my DELL laptop. If I press the button during the restart I go to a weird BIOS, not the classic one. Maybe it's a DELL bios, but I can't do what I must do from this bios. https://imgur.com/a/3t1NU7p submitted by /u/brainsolf [link] [comments]...
  6. DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?

DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?: Hello, I have a Dell desktop XPS 8900, running the latest version (1903) of Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit . My new monitor is not detecting my display port cable, so I am using DVI. (The old monitor from 2007 didn't have a DP option.) I decided to check and see if I needed new...
  7. BIOS Dell

BIOS Dell: [IMG]And this is a full screen[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-dell/6024b2e5-3f2e-4afc-8093-e283380b6dc2
  8. Dell BIOS update error 0x00000406

Dell BIOS update error 0x00000406: I just purchased a used Dell Latitude E6400 on eBay. It came without a hard drive, so I put in a brand new hard drive. The laptop had a valid Windows 7 Home Premium license, so I installed it and validated it using the product key located on the COA. Then I upgraded from...
  9. Should I change these bios settings?

Should I change these bios settings?: Can anybody explain these settings in bios? I dont really understand how these settings work. [img] [img] 60040
  10. Should i update my BIOS Drivers?

Should i update my BIOS Drivers?: Should I update my BIOS Drivers? Actually, it takes a minute for the PC to boot... The boot time is extremely slow. That's why I'm thinking of updating my BIOS Drivers. Thanks *Smile Specs: Motherboard: MSI 880GMS - E41(FX) CPU: AMD FX-6300 GPU: PowerColor Devil R9 270x...