Windows 10: Dell dimension E520 desktop, can it be upgraded to windows 10?

Discus and support Dell dimension E520 desktop, can it be upgraded to windows 10? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; will my Dell dimension E520 desktop PC upgrade to Windows 10 from windows 7 without major problems? Dell do not recommend it, but I have heard that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by geoffmurphy, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Dell dimension E520 desktop, can it be upgraded to windows 10?

will my Dell dimension E520 desktop PC upgrade to Windows 10 from windows 7 without major problems? Dell do not recommend it, but I have heard that some early (2007 build) PCs can upgrade without dramas. Has anybody upgraded this series of Dell PCs?

:)

geoffmurphy, Jan 6, 2016
  2. s1millar Win User

Is there a driver that will let me use windows 10 with my Radeon x1300/x1550 on a dell dimension E520 running windows 7 32 bit

Original Title: windows 10 graphic driver

Is there a driver that will let me use windows 10 with my Radeon x1300/x1550 on a dell dimension E520 running windows 7 32 bit

s1millar, Jan 6, 2016
  3. mbwpgh Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 -- upgrade app says Win 10 will not run. compatability rpt says good to go.?????

Dell Dimension E520 with Intel Q660 quad core and 4gig RAM. I open the Windows 10 upgrade app on my task bar. It reports that this PC is unable to run Windows 10. The compatablity report says that my PC will run Windows 10 and that I am good to go. What
    is the issue here?

mbwpgh, Jan 6, 2016
  4. D3LL Win User

Dell dimension E520 desktop, can it be upgraded to windows 10?

After a Google search I've found someone to be running Windows 10 on the same machine as you. They've said it runs reliably. Generally if your PC can run Windows 7 it can run Windows 10.

You can upgrade to Windows 10 easily by using the upgrade installer here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

D3LL, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Thank you. I should have mentioned it has the original Intel Core 2 CPU 4300@1.8GHz. I recall another post (or Dell?) indicated this might be a problem. Do you recall if the person's PC was using this processor?

geoffmurphy, Jan 6, 2016
  6. Hello,

geoffmurphy, Jan 6, 2016
  7. D3LL Win User
    You should be fine. The minimum requirements are:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    • A Microsoft account and Internet access

D3LL, Jan 6, 2016
  8. Dell dimension E520 desktop, can it be upgraded to windows 10?

thank you D3LL. Unless anybody contradicts your advice I will go ahead and try it. Am not a confident PC upgrader, but there seems to be a few good 'tutorials' on this Windows ten exercise on the web, so will chance it. Much appreciated, but I can't find the button you refer to for your +ve feedback.*Smile

geoffmurphy, Jan 6, 2016
  9. D3LL Win User
    No problem I am sure others will agree, sorry I've updated my signature just press the thumbs up icon under 'My System Specs'

D3LL, Jan 6, 2016
  10. fireberd Win User
    It will run Win 10 but how well? I had an E510 from the same era. I upgraded it from XP to Vista and even upgraded the CPU but I wasn't happy with the performance. Ultimately I replaced it with a home built, with newer hardware, and it ran much better (later that home built was replaced by my current home built).

fireberd, Jan 6, 2016
  11. bobkn Win User
    There are some additional requirements.

The CPU must also support the NX (Intel calls it the Execute Disable Bit). The 4300 seems to do that:

Intel Core™2 Duo Processor E4300 (2M Cache, 1.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) Specifications

Things get more complicated if you want X64:

Windows 10: Will your PC run it? | ZDNet

Are you using the onboard Intel 965 graphics? I'm not sure how well Win 10 supports that. (A quick web search indicates that there are working drivers for it.) You could add an inexpensive PCI-E graphics card with better Windows 10 support, but I'm not sure how much money you'd be prepared to spend on an old PC like this.

I generally don't suggest upgrading from 7, mainly because I don't think that 10 is a significant advance for home users, but I have upgraded an old (2008) Compaq laptop. (It came with Vista from the factory.) It runs about as well as 7 did.

If you want to upgrade, I strongly recommend imaging your current Windows installation before proceeding. I use Acronis True Image (not free), but a lot of people seem to like the free version of Macrium Reflect for that. With an image, you can save yourself a lot of grief if the upgrade doesn't go well; you could restore the old OS in less than a half hour.

bobkn, Jan 6, 2016
  12. thank you bobkn for your advice. Re the graphics, I did upgrade the PC with the NVidia GeForce 8400 GS graphics card 4 or 5 years ago. I presume this won't be a problem? Cheers.

geoffmurphy, Jan 6, 2016
  13. bobkn Win User

Right. No problem. nVidia (Visual Computing Leadership from NVIDIA) has Win 10 drivers, both 32 and 64 bit, for the 8400 GS.

32 bit:

Drivers | GeForce

64 bit:

Drivers | GeForce

bobkn, Jan 7, 2016
  14. Many thanks bobkn. will have a try later this month, after I have dealt with other pressing matters. your advice is really appreciated. Cheers, geoff*Smile

geoffmurphy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dell dimension E520 desktop, can it be upgraded to windows 10? - Similar Threads - Dell dimension E520

2. Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions?: Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-group-images-by-dimensions-but-not-sort/af2c28d7-442b-4846-96f4-dd77cf83a77b
  3. Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions?: Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-group-images-by-dimensions-but-not-sort/af2c28d7-442b-4846-96f4-dd77cf83a77b
  4. Why can I group images by dimensions but not sort by dimensions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed windows 10 upgrade from 7 with Lenovo Thinkpad E520. Is there a workaround to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed windows 10 upgrade from 7 with Lenovo Thinkpad E520. Is there a workaround to...: I'm reposting this under a more specific title, since my previous thread appears to have died and I'm hoping others having similar issues will find a more direct conversation. I'll forward any comments here from the previous thread if they come up. Not sure why my...
  6. Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?

Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?: A friend with a Dell XPS 8700 i5 that was running Windows 7 had the OS crash. Recovery media is no longer available and a Microsoft Windows 7 disk isn't a solution because it requires inputting a license key; apparently Dell PCs have the license key embedded in the bios. The...
  7. Will Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit run on the Dell Dimension E310?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit run on the Dell Dimension E310?: This is talking about if Microsoft Windows 10 32-bit will run on the Dell Dimension E310 PC or not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-windows-10-32-bit-run-on-the-dell/e7b04f10-4e0d-4691-a65b-c680c10155b3
  8. Basic card with 1920x1080 resolution for Dell Dimension 3100

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Basic card with 1920x1080 resolution for Dell Dimension 3100: My wife is uses this PC daily and I have upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro (32-bit). This is a great improvement over 8.1 Pro and now provides full functionality, including the 'Sleep' option that was missing in 8.1. We recently decided to purchase a widescreen monitor (LG...
  9. Dell Dimension E520 ... CPU Not Compatible?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Dimension E520 ... CPU Not Compatible?: Hello, I'm trying to solve the mystery of why I cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a Dell Dimension E520. The Windows report shows that the CPU is not compatible. I've researched the problem a little and discovered that other people seem to be running windows...
  10. Problems upgrading Dell Dimension 5000 from Win 10 32 bit to 64 bit

Problems upgrading Dell Dimension 5000 from Win 10 32 bit to 64 bit: I'm a newcomer to TF and have joined hoping that I can get some useful advice on an upgrade problem I have. My PC is a Dell Dimension 5000 running Win10 V1703 in 32 bit mode. CPU is Intel 4 524 Prescott (3.06GHz) in Socket 775A. The mainboard is a Dell OW5363 with version...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell dimension e520 audio drivers win 10

2. windows 10 driver for dell dimension e520 display