Windows 10: Dell E6400 windows 10- on windows updates, backlight issues?

Discus and support Dell E6400 windows 10- on windows updates, backlight issues? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I have a Dell Latitude E6400 with windows 10 (home edition i think) , long past warranty (bought on ebay). When i first got it , i had not yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zorak1066, Dec 12, 2017.

1. zorak1066 Win User

Dell E6400 windows 10- on windows updates, backlight issues?

Hello.
    I have a Dell Latitude E6400 with windows 10 (home edition i think) , long past warranty (bought on ebay). When i first got it , i had not yet set up my wifi so i had not downloaded or applied any windows updates, and all was well (just no internet). This monday i hooked up wifi and everything worked great! until the laptop went out and self updated with all the missing updates (about 10 of them).

When it rebooted to apply the updates, it looked like the monitor went black. i looked really close and could see a faint white border of a pic i have on the desktop so it seems like one of the 'updates' knocked out my backlight.

To test if it is my laptop i hooked it up to a vga monitor with a cable. On reboot both the laptop display and the monitor worked fine... for a few minutes.

while the image on the external monitor stayed fine, the laptop display kept going bright/dim/bright/dim... then went nearly completely black again.

on reboot , while the laptop is loading bios the display works. the moment it gets to loading windows the screen goes back to nearly completely black.

i tried googling 'windows 10 update laptop display not working' and see tons of conflicting and unhelpful suggestions from reflashing bios to reloading os to dismantling laptop and replacing this and that til something works. ive seen suggestions that it is the display driver... the sensor services... adaptive brightness control... i see tons of posts from ppl with all makes and models of laptops having this issue with windows 10 knocking out backlight... but no sure solution. what worked for one , another says nope. didnt work for them. i'm trying to like windows 10 but this is frustrating the heck out of me. windows 7 and xp never knocked out my display on any of my laptops over time after an update.

can someone please point me in the direction of a fix for this? it was fine until windows updates were applied. i'm losing what's left of my hair over this. i guess i could just hook up a monitor and use it as a desktop but that kind of defeats the reason for buying a laptop.

help?

:)

zorak1066, Dec 12, 2017
  2. bomartins Win User

Blurry text and icons in windows 10 after upgrade from 8.1

hi, I am having the same problem after upgrading to windows 10 from 7, my dell latitude E6400 would not update any of its display and video drivers saying software is not compatible, I tried troubleshooting in compatibility modes using vista, 7, xp and 8,
    still cant flash the bios with error message.

dell is not testing my dell latitude E6400 laptop for windows 10 upgrade nor giving any support on my model.

how did the gentlemen delete the local account in the laptop and made a fresh user on windows 10 to have the blurry text and icons gone?/

awaiting your reply.

thanks

bomartins, Dec 12, 2017
  3. sunilmeda Win User
    error msg 'you will need a new app to open this ms-get-started' in windows 10 ,dell latitude e6400

error msg ''you will need a new app to open this ms-get-started"

windows 10 ,dell latitude e6400

not able to open windows stores and download any app

sunilmeda, Dec 12, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Look in the device manager, display adapters and check to see if you have been given a driver signed by Microsoft, it may have the same name but may not be the manufacturers driver for your hardware. One of my machines is older and gets the Microsoft version of the driver and screws everything up, I have to install the driver for Windows 8 using compatibility mode.

dmholt57, Dec 12, 2017
  5. zorak1066 Win User
    thanks... will do that. so far it seems turning off adaptive brightness control has worked. i'm disabling updates to drivers next and setting my wifi to metered to delay these stupid windows updates. so far i am really unimpressed with win10. forcing updates, taking away all control from the user, embedding things in updates, grabbing microsoft drivers that may or may not work with devices... and hiding even the simplest things like power options in so many places ??? the entire way that microsoft has managed this new os has been really poorly handled imo.

zorak1066, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dell E6400 windows 10- on windows updates, backlight issues? - Similar Threads - Dell E6400 updates

2. LG gram 14Z970 backlight issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LG gram 14Z970 backlight issue: am using LG gram 14Z970 laptop,window 10.on turning on backlight using a button it display a visual studio any help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lg-gram-14z970-backlight-issue/78fd75a3-cf3d-49cc-ba77-0453b03f07d1
  3. Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell E6400 - No Sound from Headphone Jack: Working on a really old Dell E6400 laptop. The laptop speakers produce sound but when you plug in external speakers using the headphone jack, power supplied through USB port, there is no sound. When you look at the various sound panels nothing indicates the external speakers...
  4. Backlight Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backlight Issue: Hp notebook 's keyboard isn't working anymore. Please help me identify the cause asap https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backlight-issue/fda125c1-3def-4934-9bef-2648dcd78ffd
  5. Dell Studio 1555 issues since Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dell Studio 1555 issues since Windows 10 update: hi all, sorry firstly if this in slightly the wrong location, if so im happy to move or change it. so; i have had my Dell Studio 1555 since 2009 and it was worked flawlessly since then, never a hiccup or issue. i got the warning roughly in Feburary to say Windows 7 would no...
  6. Windows update causing backlight bleeding

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update causing backlight bleeding: I updated a Windows circumulative update or whatever it was called and also installed the latest GPU drivers from Nvidia. In this order: 1. Nvidia updates 2. Windows updates Right after restarting to finish the Windows updates, I noticed very awful light bleeding in...
  7. Dell backlights

Dell backlights: Hey family , how do I turn on my keyboard backlights..keys ( Dell laptop) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-backlights/d7f6883c-f64b-4568-bb94-acde55dbb4b4
  8. Keyboard backlighting on Dell XPS 13 series laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard backlighting on Dell XPS 13 series laptop: I just did a Windows 10 update on my laptop and now the back lighting of the keyboard is turned off. How do I turn it back on?...
  9. My Dell Latitude E6400 running Windows 10 is showing a File System error -1073740791.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Dell Latitude E6400 running Windows 10 is showing a File System error -1073740791.: This error prevents any downloaded program from opening. I have tried all the MS troubleshooting methods and all report being unable to fix. Will re installing Windows 10 fix this? The hard disk has been scanned using chkdsk /R and reports no disk errors. I would appreciate...
  10. Can't get Windows 10 to work on Dell E6400

Can't get Windows 10 to work on Dell E6400: Did an update in from Windows 7 64 bit where it worked fine. Updated to Win10 and noticed that the touchpad driver doesnt work and the brightness wont work properly. I have tried everything to fix them and nothing! Dell doesnt officially support Win10 on this laptop. It's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell e6400 slow windows 10

2. e6400 wifi windows 10