Windows 10: Dell Inspiron Running Hot

Discus and support Dell Inspiron Running Hot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Anyone recommend a good free program for W10, for monitoring laptop temperature ?.........this Dell Inspiron 1545 seems to be running a little... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Del 80, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Del 80 Win User

Dell Inspiron Running Hot

Anyone recommend a good free program for W10, for monitoring laptop temperature ?.........this Dell Inspiron 1545 seems to be running a little hot.........I seem to remember that when I was running Vista, there was a small App. that sat on the taskbar, but can't remember what it was called...............any recommendations welcomed........Del.

:)

Del 80, Apr 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 overheated my laptop

I tried upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 late last year on 2 computers and I loved the format and such. But I started to notice that, while it worked like a charm on my Dell Inspiron One 2330 desktop computer, it made my Dell Inspiron laptop (only
    18 months old) get really hot and the fans would run constantly. I was afraid it would damage the laptop computer so I went back to Windows 8.1 on it. Now that Windows 10 has been available for quite some time, I'd like to find out if this is still an issue
    for some people. I would love to upgrade but not if it is still making computers heat up and the fans run constantly. Can someone please help?

SusanGlassmeyer, Apr 8, 2016
  3. mikemaher Win User
    windows 10 upgrade

my laptop dell inspiron runs on windows 7 and meets the requirements to upgrade to 10 but will not ins

tall after several attempts. it reaches 99% and then stops. model of laptop is the1545 inspiron dell.

mikemaher, Apr 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Speedfan perhaps? There are many..
    You can search for
    "monitor CPU & GPU temperature freeware"
    e.g.

Check your task manager and see what's using CPU/disk..

Some people have problems with a process called 'System and compressed memory', others with fans running because their PC isn't really compatible with Win 10.

And some older laptops simply get clogged with dust.. as mine may have been.

Depends somewhat if you had this problem since upgrading to '10.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
  5. Del 80 Win User
    O,k......Thanks, will check that out........it is nine years old, so maybe struggling a bit with W10.......will check out the fan as well, see if it needs a clean.............Del.

Del 80, Apr 8, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    If it's struggling with 10 more than with 7, then it's probably drivers that are not optimal. Neither system is much different in total resource requirements, just they use them slightly differently.

It is a difficult balance, with older hardware, because sometimes, the most recent driver is not the best for your devices, and in some cases the latest drivers fail, because the device manufacturer does not support their older kit any longer.

I have a Nvidia Geforce graphics adapter which Microsoft and Nvidia would try to automatically upgrade beyond the last version that Nvidia made that was compatible, which I have to install to every clean installation I make.

Intel HD graphics is another poorly supported area (and Microsoft generic replacements are all that windows updates offer) and Intel chipsets are also problematical, you may find this useful:

Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

then if no download starts,

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/207...tupChipset.exe

More than all though, clear airways through thorough removal of all dust and lint, well maintained fans, cleaned and lubricated, or replaced, and fresh heatsink paste will do the most to keep your laptop cool.

Fafhrd, Apr 8, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Wow, 9 years. Pretty good. I'd check it on Dell's compatibility list for Win 10 assuming they have one. Incompatibility is a common problem for overheating on older laptops upgrading.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...54#Inspiron-NB
    - shows yours is NOT recommended for Win 10.

Problem with laptops is that they get dirty inside, and may need the thermal paste redoing. Major disassembly job. My old HP laptop - 6 years- was getting warm, but the fan seemed clean looking from the outside. But also it suffered thermal shutdown in safe mode from Win 8 on, but not in normal mode.

This one (new this year), however, allows most of the back cover to come off in one piece - but I gather with some modern HP laptops it's even harder to get them apart.

dalchina, Apr 8, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

That's typical of missing chipset driver behaviour - an overrunning CPU because some instruction keeps requesting a reply from a bit of the system that can't hear it. Microsoft Generic basic stuff just can't handle it.

It's the same reason that Windows 10 Setup fails on clean install, but the upgrade struggles to a successful setup, because the first part of setup is done on the old system, and the second part installs drivers from the cache of the upgraded system recorded in the Panther appraisal files.

Fafhrd, Apr 8, 2016
  9. Del 80 Win User
    O.k Thanks for that........I am very pleased that W10 is working at all on such an old machine..........the guy in our local computer shop said that it would never work ''in a million years''........but it does, and without any other problems at all........the Dell is supposed to be my ''second'' laptop, but I find myself using it more than this year old Toshiba.........I will look into it...........Del.

Del 80, Apr 8, 2016
  10. simon123 Win User
    possibly your heat sink is full of dust or you need to put new terminal paste

simon123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Dell Inspiron Running Hot - Similar Threads - Dell Inspiron Running

2. Dell Inspiron 3584

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Inspiron 3584: One day, my brother had accidentally set a BIOS Administrator Password. To reset the password, I had taken my laptop to a local service center. They said that the BIOS chip will be replaced. From that instance, my laptop is taking around 1 minute 15 seconds to boot. Every...
  3. dell inspiron n4050

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dell inspiron n4050: hi,i have dell inspiron n4050 having i3 2370m in it with 2 gb ram....can it run win 10 smoothly??????,plz reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-n4050/27fd62d2-276f-4e83-9365-da664aab9307
  4. BSODs on Dell Inspiron 3521 Running Win8.1 64bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs on Dell Inspiron 3521 Running Win8.1 64bit: BSOD Find and Fix PROBLEM: BSODs on Dell Inspiron 3521 Running Win8.1 64bit. Do I go buy a chip or keep debugging? PROBLEM SYNOPSIS: This computer was on the shelf but has become my primary computer since I left my job and had to return my primary to computer to them. It lost...
  5. BSODs on Dell Inspiron 3521 Running Win8.1 64bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSODs on Dell Inspiron 3521 Running Win8.1 64bit: BSOD Find and Fix PROBLEM: BSODs on Dell Inspiron 3521 Running Win8.1 64bit. Do I go buy a chip or keep debugging? PROBLEM SYNOPSIS: This computer was on the shelf but has become my primary computer since I left my job and had to return my primary to computer to them. It lost...
  6. Dell Inspiron Touchscreen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron Touchscreen: After attempting to add drivers for a USB device to my Inispiron 3593, the touchscreen no longer works. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-inspiron-touchscreen/df9ecca2-10ea-4e1a-a6f1-9d16f01538ab
  7. Dell Inspiron

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell Inspiron: I have a 6 yr old Dell Inspiron 15 laptop running Windows 10. I had external speakers (Logitech) working fine for years, playing my ITunes music. I decided to improve my sound further by connecting to my new Polk speakers via my Yamaha AVR. No sound. Internal speakers work,...
  8. Will Windows 10 run on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Windows 10 run on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop?: This is talking about if Windows 10 will run on a Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop or not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-10-run-on-a-dell-inspiron-1520-laptop/9a77df17-f655-49ca-9ded-bb657c49c1cc
  9. Dell Inspiron

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Inspiron: Hi I have been having trouble starting my dell Inspiron 6400 it was last running Windows 10 Build 9841. it was working fine with no problems at all until one morning when I tried to turn it on it was not showing Dell Logo just turning on and showing my Num lock, Scroll...
  10. Dell Inspiron 3543

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Inspiron 3543: Hi folks never had a BSOD in the last year and 4 months that ive had this lappy now ive had 2 in 12 hours what would the issue be ? i hope the tool got all the relevant stuff. thanks 47629