Windows 10: Dell Thunderbolt Dock

Discus and support Dell Thunderbolt Dock in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Dell Thunderbolt dock for my Precision 3520. I hooked up my Logitech universal receiver to the Thunderbolt dock. The mouse and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ericnixmd, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ericnixmd Win User

Dell Thunderbolt Dock

I recently purchased a Dell Thunderbolt dock for my Precision 3520. I hooked up my Logitech universal receiver to the Thunderbolt dock. The mouse and keyboard have significant lags (the keyboard repeats itself periodically). As soon as I move the receiver back to the laptop, the lags disappear. The problem is so bad that the mouse and keyboard are basically unusable when plugged into the Thunderbolt dock.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with either a Dell or other brand Thunderbolt dock? Have you been able to resolve it?

:)

ericnixmd, Jul 30, 2017

2. Anniversary Update - Account Error

I just had this happen to me. Logging out and restarting did not work. It is a Dell laptop and docked with a Thunderbolt dock. I shut it down, undocked, and then restarted. Luckily it was back to normal log in. I shut down docked, and booted and it
    was normal log in again.

Not sure what happened. Hope the issue does not come back.

rinconmike3, Jul 30, 2017
  3. Microsoft Display Dock as "USB Hub"

Hello guys

I've a Microsoft Display Dock but no need to use it with my Lumia 950 - BUT: I'm searching for an USB Type C or Thunderbolt 3 Dock anyway. So hey, I could use my Microsoft Display Dock for that!

But when I plug it in, I get the message "Try improving the USB connection / DisplayPort connection might not work. Try using a different cable"

Some Facts in advance:

• Laptop is a Dell Precision 5510 with USB Type C / Thunderbolt 3
    • Windows 10 Enterprise is installed
    • I use the original cables
    • USB Ports of the Display Dock work fine
    • DisplayPort and HDMI do not work (as the error message says)

Any idea how to get it to work? Is it possible to "daisy chain" the dock?

Thanks a lot,

Manuel

Manuel Bauer, Jul 30, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Dell Thunderbolt Dock

The Thunderbolt is for displays and such, not for the keyboard or mouse. Having the USB-C ports there are for faster speeds to SSD's, etc.. You do not need it if you are not going to use 4K/UHD displays, which is what the technology ws created for.

Sometime soon USB may go away if Apple keeps pushing the Beige Box manufacturers to go that route, which will never happen, because the Beige Box manufacturers thought that Firewire was a joke and now we do not see it used much anymore.

As for lags, check the drivers and try to keep the Keyboard and mouse attached to the physical computer, not a dock that is used for 4k tv's.

bro67, Jul 30, 2017
  5. ericnixmd Win User
    I was hoping to have just a single cable to plug up that would charge the laptop, provide video interface to my monitor (HDMI, 1920x1080), connect to my ethernet via CAT6, and connect to the Logitech universal receiver so I can have a wireless keyboard/mouse. It defeats the purpose of plugging up the receiver USB dongle every time I "dock" the computer. If that were the case, I would just leave it on wifi and hook up the HDMI directly to the laptop.

All drivers are up to date.

Perhaps I should get a dock that isn't Thunderbolt since I don't have a 4K display. Not sure if one of the cheaper docks would work (charge laptop, use Logitech's receiver, etc.).

ericnixmd, Jul 30, 2017
  6. ericnixmd Win User
    Update: Received the WD15 dock yesterday (USB-C, but no Thunderbolt). Works like a charm with the Logitech receiver plugged into the dock. Now I can plug a single cable into the laptop for everything to work (ethernet, monitor via HDMI, dictation microphone, Logitech receiver, etc.). Will be sending the Thunderbolt dock back to Dell for a refund.

ericnixmd, Jul 31, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Did you have the power hooked into the Dell dock? The Dell dock also may need a driver as stated in this troubleshooter. How to Use and Troubleshoot the Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) | Dell US
    The Display Port will work if you want to hook to a flatscreen, but those features are even going away. Keep the receipts for the new adapter and if on a credit card, that they will cover it if it decides to die.

bro67, Aug 1, 2017
  8. mgroetan Win User

Dell Thunderbolt Dock

I also experienced this issue, but was finally able to resolve it.
    As per the in-box requirements, I upgraded the laptop's BIOS, as well as the Thunderbolt docking driver before attaching the docking station.
    At this point, after attaching the docking station for the first time, I experienced the lagging issue.

The BIOS version I installed was 1.5.2, issued in July 2017.

Later, in early August 2017, I was looking for an upgraded BIOS, to see if that could be the cause of the problem. I then discovered that the 1.5.2 version had been pulled off the Dell support pages, leaving only the previous 1.4.3 version (from May 2017).

Even later in August 2017, a new BIOS version was finally released - the 1.5.3 version at 23rd August.
    This BIOS version resolved the issue.

So it seems that Dell BIOS developers are humans as well ;-)

mgroetan, Aug 24, 2017
  9. ericnixmd Win User
    Thanks @mgroetan. I ended up sending it back for a refund and got a WD15 dock.

ericnixmd, Aug 24, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Aug 25, 2017
  11. ericnixmd Win User
    @bro67 The WD15 has worked well since I got it. *Smile

ericnixmd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Dell Thunderbolt Dock

1. Dell Thunderbolt Dock - Similar Threads - Dell Thunderbolt Dock

2. Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock on windows 11: I've been trying to connect a thunderbolt 3 dock from Lenovo to my Windows 11 PC, without success. When I start up the PC with the dock connected, this error appears.I can't find how to solve it. In the thunderbolt control center, the dock appears as connected, but cannot be...
  3. Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock on windows 11: I've been trying to connect a thunderbolt 3 dock from Lenovo to my Windows 11 PC, without success. When I start up the PC with the dock connected, this error appears.I can't find how to solve it. In the thunderbolt control center, the dock appears as connected, but cannot be...
  4. Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects: I have an issue with a XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt dock. I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive, Ethernet, and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell updates are installed....
  5. Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects: I have an issue with a XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt dock. I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive, Ethernet, and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell updates are installed....
  6. Random Freezes with Thunderbolt dock

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Freezes with Thunderbolt dock: System Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 9310 Fully up to date according to Windows Update and Dell SupportAssist Razer Core v2 with RTX 2070 No firmware updates available for Razer Core. Graphics driver up to date according to GeForce Experience I have been using this setup successfully...
  7. Windows keyboard+mouse support fails via thunderbolt dock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows keyboard+mouse support fails via thunderbolt dock: Hi I am using my windows laptop connected via thunderbolt to monitor with built in dock. By this dock it connects to two 24" fullhd monitors display port daisy chain, keyboard, and mouse. I am still running into the problem with the latter two. Keyboard behaves as if...
  8. Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system...

Thunderbolt dock failing to install, "Installation of this device is forbidden by system...: I have an issue that is affecting 8 users on three different models of dell laptops dell XPS 15 9750, dell latitude 7400, dell latitude 7490, all running windows 10 1909 enterprise. I have talked with Dell support and they claim they are unable to assist as this is a windows...
  9. Dell thunder bolt dock

Dell thunder bolt dock: a dell thunderbolt dock is connecting to my laptop and when it does my number 4 key is being cliclked without me touching it and whn I press the number lock the left arrow is pressed making it extremely hard to type or watch youtube Moved to appropriate category....
  10. Dell thunder bolt dock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dell thunder bolt dock: a dell thunderbolt dock is connecting to my laptop and when it does my number 4 key is being cliclked without me touching it and whn I press the number lock the left arrow is pressed making it extremely hard to type or watch youtube...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell tb16 dock drivers windows 10