Windows 10: Dell UP2715K monitor, Windows 10 Update (1803) broke 5K support

Discus and support Dell UP2715K monitor, Windows 10 Update (1803) broke 5K support in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a PC that wasn't used for over a year, so it was a long way behind in Windows Updates. It has an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card, which had been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by opusman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. opusman Win User

Dell UP2715K monitor, Windows 10 Update (1803) broke 5K support

I have a PC that wasn't used for over a year, so it was a long way behind in Windows Updates.

It has an Nvidia GTX 960 graphics card, which had been running a Dell UP2715K 5K monitor quite happily for a year or two at full 5K resolution, using 2 x DisplayPort connections.

Yesterday I used the Upgrade Assistant to update to the most recent version of Windows 10 x64 (1803).

This seems to have totally broken 5K support for the monitor. Even though it still shows in display settings as being 5K resolution it only shows half the image (stretched to the full width of the screen). So instead of the screen showing pixels 0...5120 it instead shows pixels 2561...5120.

I've updated to the latest Nvidia drivers but it made no difference. At the moment the only way I can use the monitor is to unplug one of the DP cables and run it at 3840 x 2160.

Does anyone have any ideas?

:)

opusman, Aug 18, 2018

2. Windows Creator Update Broke My Monitor

Still doesn't work, confirmed with Microsoft tech support. Their advice is to not install the Creators Update until it is offered through the normal update process. DO NOT force apply it. The support person said that it would not be offered until the update
    process could determine compatibility.

Working with no problems on Win 10 Anniversary Update

As all 5K monitors for Windows are now out of production, it appears that 5K is now an exclusively Apple technology. Whether Nvidia and ATI are going to have any interest in continuing support or correcting problems is, well, up in the air. A funny solution
    is to run Windows 10 on an older iMac or MacPro, the ones with the dual Thunderbolt
    2 ports.

My system for reference:

HP Z420

Xeon 6-core E5-1650

40GB ECC RAM

PNY Quadro K1200 video card

HP Z27Q monitor: 27" 5K

BTW, Adobe Lightroom is much nicer on 5K than on 4K. Probably even better on 8K but I'm not going to be a monitor resolution pioneer again. Would probably have to sell my car to buy the only 8K monitor on the market anyway (Dell).

Research seems to indicate that this problem is unique to Nvidia Video cards and that the ATI FirePro seems to work fine. But I hate to throw away a 1 year old, $400 card.

Update: 2017-07-17

Failed: Version R375 U8 (377.48) WHQL

BillFerreira, Aug 18, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Dell to Price its 27-inch 5K Monitor Under $2,000

Dell plans to launch the first consumer 5K monitor some time in December 2014, priced at just under $2,000 a pop. This comes in the wake of Apple launching the first consumer product with a 5K display, its latest iMac Retina all-in-one desktop. Dell's UltraSharp UP2715K is a 27-inch display with 5K (5120 x 2880 pixels) native resolution, which lends it a staggering 218 ppi of pixel density. Compare that to the 157 ppi of 28-inch Ultra HD monitors. 5K is four times as many pixels as WQHD.

The UltraSharp UP2715K features a 10-bit IPS panel, with 99 percent Adobe RGB and 100 percent sRGB palette coverage, and a 12-bit LUT. It offers viewing angles of 178°/178°, 8 ms response time, 350 cd/m² maximum brightness, and 1000:1 static contrast-ratio, with dynamic mega-contrast. The display needs two DisplayPort connections for sufficient bandwidth, to beam those many pixels at 60 Hz. There's also a mini-DisplayPort, but using that would either cap resolution at 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, or drop refresh-rate at the native resolution.

Dell UP2715K monitor, Windows 10 Update (1803) broke 5K support 60a_thm.jpg

Source: TFT Central

btarunr, Aug 18, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 April 2018 Update(SCU) Partially Breaks MKV File Support?

Yeah, they play perfectly fine.

Thanks, this did the trick perfectly!

I'm scratching my head then, because so far every computer I update to 1803, even fresh installs, can no longer read the details of mkv files. But at least icaros fixes the problem for now. Hopefully the bug is fixed in Windows natively eventually.

newtekie1, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Dell UP2715K monitor, Windows 10 Update (1803) broke 5K support - Similar Threads - Dell UP2715K monitor

2. Connecting LG Ultrafine 5K Monitor to Windows 10 Dell Laptop via Thunderbolt 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting LG Ultrafine 5K Monitor to Windows 10 Dell Laptop via Thunderbolt 3: I am trying to connect my Dell laptop to the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor via Thunderbolt 3 cable. The connection at first is seemingly fine and both powers the laptop and projects the PC to the monitor, but does not stay that way. After a few minutes the screen flickers and I...
  3. Connecting LG Ultrafine 5K Monitor to Windows 10 Dell Laptop via Thunderbolt 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting LG Ultrafine 5K Monitor to Windows 10 Dell Laptop via Thunderbolt 3: I am trying to connect my Dell laptop to the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor via Thunderbolt 3 cable. The connection at first is seemingly fine and both powers the laptop and projects the PC to the monitor, but does not stay that way. After a few minutes the screen flickers and I...
  4. Connecting LG Ultrafine 5K Monitor to Windows 10 Dell Laptop via Thunderbolt 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Need driver for LG 5K Monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need driver for LG 5K Monitor: I'm using an LG 5K monitor in a fresh install of Windows 11 on an Intel Beast Canyon with an i9. I've seen it in 5K mode but can't get it to show 5K on this install even though all the drivers seem up to date and I'm using a Thunderbolt 4 connector. I've tried using the...
  6. Need driver for LG 5K Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need driver for LG 5K Monitor: I'm using an LG 5K monitor in a fresh install of Windows 11 on an Intel Beast Canyon with an i9. I've seen it in 5K mode but can't get it to show 5K on this install even though all the drivers seem up to date and I'm using a Thunderbolt 4 connector. I've tried using the...
  7. Windows 10 1803 - Dell 7490 with Bluescreens

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1803 - Dell 7490 with Bluescreens: The computer was reimaged after it was suffering from Bluecreen crashes a couple of weeks ago. The same bluescreens are occurring without a significant load on the computer running standard office apps, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. A dump file was obtained:...
  8. 1803 Update Broke Camera and Photo App

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1803 Update Broke Camera and Photo App: Hi there, After the most recent patch for Windows (3/19/2019), the Microsoft Camera and Photo app is not working. I verified this on 6 different machines all running 1803. One machine that hasn't been updated yet, is unaffected and the app works just fine. For added...
  9. Update 1803 "broke" my internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Update 1803 "broke" my internet: And some other stuff.. I recently installed a fresh new Windows 10 on my PC and started with the update process. Right after installing the April 2018 windows update (AKA update 1803), some applications started acting very slow to non working. This includes the Google...
  10. LG UltraFine 5K - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    LG UltraFine 5K - Windows 10: Is there a way to use the LG UltraFine 5K monitor with a windows pc which does not have a thunderbolt 3 port. I know the monitor is only thunderbolt 3 input, but I have a friend who is thinking of getting one but we are unsure how to get it all working. Is there an adaptor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. z27q windows install nvidia

2. Dell UP2715K ppi

3. dell up2715k 5k setup

4. thunderbolt 3 windows update 1803 issues dell,
  5. dell up2715k 5k issue windows 10