Windows 10: DELL Wants To Update My System BIOS: Questions On, Please ?

Discus and support DELL Wants To Update My System BIOS: Questions On, Please ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, Have a Dell desktop, XPS 8900. A pop up presumably from Dell says it wants to "update" my System BIOS. Sounds scary. Isn't the BIOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Robert11, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Robert11 Win User

DELL Wants To Update My System BIOS: Questions On, Please ?

Hello,

Have a Dell desktop, XPS 8900.

A pop up presumably from Dell says it wants to "update" my System BIOS.

Sounds scary.

Isn't the BIOS the complete "guts" of the OS ?
    Whys should an update be necessary ?

Should I do it ?

Thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Apr 12, 2016

2. During Windows 10 powerwash/clean my BIOS/computer is bricked and unusable

My question was originally posted in Dell forums. There are multiple discussions on same issue and consensus is a 'bug' between dell motherboards and Windows 10 software. Suggestion on Dell forum was to ask question on Windows 10 forums for assistance from
    Microsoft.

What no one can seem to understand is how would Windows 10 interfere with BIOS on motherboard, but it does. Upon reinstall of Windows 10, BIOS is somehow corrupting and board becomes bricked. Others have chimed in with similar circumstances on non-Dell mobo's
    but overwhelming majority are Dell systems. Dell posters say this is definitely a Windows 10 issue.

I believe it's related to UEFI during reinstall but do not have a clue how to undo so system will POST and I can gain access to my BIOS again. However, if this issue is completely frying the BIOS, something needs done on the part of Microsoft and Dell since
    this problem is in essence killing the computer.

Gary Account, Apr 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Installation Error

While installing Windows 10, I got below error.

Contact your PC manufacturer to see if you can upgrade the system BIOS.

Currently my system(Dell Vostro 1400) has Bios A07 and latest bios for Dell Vostro 1400 is A09

I tried to upgrade BIOS but As my battery is dead, it is not allowing me to upgrade the BIOS.

Currently I have 2 questions

1. What is the BIOS requirement for Windows 10?

2. If i manage to upgrade BIOS to A09 then would it be fulfill this requirement?

Waiting for your prompt answer.

Thanks

Vivek

vivek sodha, Apr 12, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is the chip that controls your system during boot up until it is "transferred" to the OS itself.
    (That's a nutshell description, but should suffice here).

It is not the OS, but the SW "Guts" of your computer (Motherboard).

Whether or not to upgrade:

First, what does the update correct? They should list that info, or link to it.

In general, I'm the type to always update the BIOS if a new firmware is released, that said though, my mainboard has three separate BIOS's that I can switch to, so if one is borked by an update, or changes I make, I can go back to the original (I leave one on the original for that purpose).

If all is well on your system, you do not have to perform the update at all, and that may be the best advice I can give you, especially if you are questioning it to begin with, but if you are willing to do it, depending on what it may change for your system, it may be worthwhile.

I'll review it and post later, or others may chime in as they see fit.

UPDATE: I checked the Dell site for your system, but don't see an update for today, that's not to say anything malicious is going on, but can you give more details on the pop up?

What version it wants to update you to? Etc.
    You could also boot into your BIOS and give us the version you are on, if you are several versions "behind" the most current one, it may also be beneficial to do it, again depending on what I outlined above.

RWOne, Apr 12, 2016
  5. They aren't as worrisome as they once were a long time ago. On an OEM system like a Dell, I would do it. It's a very simple process. I'm a little more hesitant on a custom-built computer because the components can be so varied. On an OEM system, Dell, for example, knows the configurations, so they are able to test the BIOS much more thoroughly before releasing it.

However, I wouldn't trust a pop-up. I'd go to Dell's support page and put in my Service Tag. Then you'll be sure you are getting the right one.

DeaconFrost, Apr 12, 2016
  6. Clint Win User
    I have a XPS8900 also. I have been holding off because of fear. I went to Dells website.
    It said Fixes & Enhancements
    Enhancements
    - Improved system stability for virtual machine environment
    - Improved system stability for long Media playback.
    - Updated Dell Diagnostic to 4302.15
    It also said "Urgent". So I installed it. So far no problems. I was afraid that I would have a black brick setting on my desk. I was also concerned that my activation of Win 10 may get undone, but i'ts OK too. One other reason that I did it now is, that it's still under warranty.

Clint, Apr 13, 2016
  7. There is really very little reason to fear any BIOS update these days, especially on an OEM system.

DeaconFrost, Apr 13, 2016
  8. Robert11 Win User

Hello,

Much thanks for taking all the time to respond and help me out.
    Much appreciated; very nice of you, and the others.
    Great Forum.

Am a Sr. (very) Citizen now, so will use that as my excuse.
    I've found that it';s a great excuse for most anything.

The icon says nothing about exactly what it will do; just to update BIOS

- Where do I find the BIOS number/spec that I have ? No idea where to go on PC to get the info. ?
    - The same question for my System or Service Tag (so I can perhaps try it in the Dell site)?

One of the Posters here says that he did it, I think, so perhaps I should just bit the bullet and do it also.

Would like to bang my Service or System Tag into the Dell website to see specifically what it does, but not sure how to go about it, exactly.

Sure do like W7 better which was on my old desktop.
    Was much easier for me to navigate around in.

Much thanks,
    Bob

Robert11, Apr 15, 2016
  9. Superfly Win User
    Your hardware info can be found using the Run command and entering msinfo32 into it.

Superfly, Apr 15, 2016
  10. Kyhi Win User
Thema:

1. DELL Wants To Update My System BIOS: Questions On, Please ? - Similar Threads - DELL Wants Update

2. Bios update question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios update question: Hello, I have noticed each time I have updated my bios it registered an additional device to my MS account. I am wondering why as I have not changed my hardware, just updated the motherboard bios. IS this the fault of the motherboard manufacture or is it how MS perceives a...
  3. Bios update question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios update question: Hello, I have noticed each time I have updated my bios it registered an additional device to my MS account. I am wondering why as I have not changed my hardware, just updated the motherboard bios. IS this the fault of the motherboard manufacture or is it how MS perceives a...
  4. Please I want remote help for my Dell Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please I want remote help for my Dell Laptop.: I have followed all your instructions by command prompt, optional features, shell admin, and registry to deactivate Hyper-V, and remove Device Guard and Credential Guard, I still can't run VMware Workstation. I have even reformatted my drive trice and still the same outcome....
  5. Please I want remote help for my Dell Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please I want remote help for my Dell Laptop.: I have followed all your instructions by command prompt, optional features, shell admin, and registry to deactivate Hyper-V, and remove Device Guard and Credential Guard, I still can't run VMware Workstation. I have even reformatted my drive trice and still the same outcome....
  6. Alienware (Dell) BIOS update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alienware (Dell) BIOS update: Denis @Try3 I have started a thread here to try to better explain and not clog up Site Bugs. Site Bugs and Suggestions [4] Normally, since I've had this machine, about 3 1/2 years, BIOS updates are shown to me as part of the Alienware Update app or if I go to Dell Support...
  7. DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?

DELL & BIOS update - should I update BIOS?: Hello, I have a Dell desktop XPS 8900, running the latest version (1903) of Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit . My new monitor is not detecting my display port cable, so I am using DVI. (The old monitor from 2007 didn't have a DP option.) I decided to check and see if I needed new...
  8. Bios Update Questions

Bios Update Questions: Dell xps 15 9550 Windows 10 Pro i5-6300hq processor 8gb ram 250gb ssd samsung hard drive. There is also a 32gb mini ssd hard drive that comes along with it? Im not sure how to explain this. But basically everything i download goes to my samsung ssd. I bought this laptop...
  9. Bios Update Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Bios Update Questions: Dell xps 15 9550 Windows 10 Pro i5-6300hq processor 8gb ram 250gb ssd samsung hard drive. There is also a 32gb mini ssd hard drive that comes along with it? Im not sure how to explain this. But basically everything i download goes to my samsung ssd. I bought this laptop...
  10. Questions about bios updating

Questions about bios updating: Can anyone show me a detailed way to update my bios? [img] 59784

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my dell wants to update the bios

2. 0x0000406 bios a17 to a19

3. should i update system bios