Windows 10: Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up

Discus and support Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have two identical Dell XPS 8700 for my kids. They use them mainly for steam games and Office 2016. Both running the Windows 10 AU. Today on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rinconmike, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up

I have two identical Dell XPS 8700 for my kids. They use them mainly for steam games and Office 2016.

Both running the Windows 10 AU.

Today on one of them, by son said a message popped up and asked to stop a service and he clicked yes. Then all there was, was a gray screen and mouse pointer. He came and got me. The pointer would move but nothing else responded. So I did a power shut down. On reboot, the machine took around 40 seconds from seeing the dell logo to the sign on screen. This seemed very long. So I rebooted the other machine to see how long it takes, and it was only 3 seconds from the dell logo to the sign on screen.

I do not know if the long boot time has been going on or just started with this issue.

I ran sfc /scannow and it said no issues.

I remember in September 2015 ( a year ago) I had an issue with this machine where on power on, all I would get is the spinning dots at the Dell logo and it would not boot into windows. I even let it sit there for 24 hours and just spinning dots. I even tried new install of windows where the machine would let me install new windows, but after updates, the same thing happened with the spinning dots.

After a tons of troubleshooting, a dell tech recommended pulling the cmos battery. I did that and from then on it booted fine.

So since the long boot time did not seem right, I pulled the cmos battery again. waited 30 seconds, put it back in and booted into bios, change the clock (not sure if I had to but did), and then reboot and now after the dell logo it gets to the log in screen after a few seconds like the other 8700.

Any idea why this happened? Why I needed to pull the cmos battery to get the short boot times?

Both XPS 8700 machines are on an APC battery backup. Just curious if there is something defective with this particular machine that causes this issue where removing the CMOS battery solves it.

thanks

:)

rinconmike, Sep 4, 2016
  2. CantaTex Win User

Computer running very slow after Windows 10 upgrade

Dell XPS 8700 computer with 8 GB Ram originally running 8.1 was upgraded to windows 10. After a long installation process, system is up and running but it's very slow, incredibly slow. Any suggestions? I received no error messages!

CantaTex, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Dell XPS 8500 upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Hi Andy,

I have to say that XPS 8500 and XPS 8700 have different net adapters and controllers for Lan and WiFi.

There are drivers for Windows 10 in XPS 8700. Dell got them.

The problem is that Dell and Realtek didn't make the same for XPS 8500.

You can't use the same drivers in XPS 8500 than in XPS 8700.

Thanks for your comments!

Best regards,

Rafa

Rafael Robles Sánchez, Sep 4, 2016
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up

You might make sure you son takes note of the message if it happens to pop up again.. Knowing what was asking to shut something down and what it wanted to shut down may be helpful. Hopefully it isn't some type of virus.

There could be some type of malfunction with one of the machines, are they both running the same Bios version?

Any other differences with the systems as far as software or hardware?

You might try running a Boot log which you can set from MSconfig.exe. Make one when the system is booting normally so you can compare if the problem occurs again. Save it somewhere else since it will be overwritten by another log. Of course you could use the other system to compare.

Saltgrass, Sep 5, 2016
Thema:

Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up

1. Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up - Similar Threads - Dell XPS 8700

2. Cmos battery remove

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cmos battery remove: hi i have a dell inspiron 5559, i had a problem with my ac charger being unrecognized. I wanted to turn off this warning so i can work on my computer even if the battery wasn't charging, just to remove the warning. But my laptop had an administrator password, i don't know who...
  3. Cmos battery remove

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cmos battery remove: hi i have a dell inspiron 5559, i had a problem with my ac charger being unrecognized. I wanted to turn off this warning so i can work on my computer even if the battery wasn't charging, just to remove the warning. But my laptop had an administrator password, i don't know who...
  4. Dell XPS 8700 stuck at BIOS Dell logo when restarting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dell XPS 8700 stuck at BIOS Dell logo when restarting: When forcing power off and power back on, the machine boots up fine. It only gets stuck when I have it reboot. Things I’ve tried: Installing the latest BIOS (A14) Installing the latest chipset driver Installing the latest network driver sfc /scannow - no errors chkdsk - no...
  5. Cannot Boot Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Boot Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop: My hard drive has crashed and the PC will not boot. I have tried a bootable usb drive, but it shows several partitions on my HDD of which only 1 can be used per the screen messages and it is "too small". Any ideas?...
  6. Dell XPS 8700 upgrades

Dell XPS 8700 upgrades: I'm looking to upgrade my wife's older Dell desktop. She is running windows 7, I would like to give it new life. It takes minutes to completely start up. I purchased a 1TB hard drive and a 250gb ssd. Can I install an OEM version of windows 10 home? or should I get a retail...
  7. Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?

Can the Dell XPS 8700 be upgraded to Windows 10?: A friend with a Dell XPS 8700 i5 that was running Windows 7 had the OS crash. Recovery media is no longer available and a Microsoft Windows 7 disk isn't a solution because it requires inputting a license key; apparently Dell PCs have the license key embedded in the bios. The...
  8. My Dell XPS 8700 2014 is driving me nut

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Dell XPS 8700 2014 is driving me nut: Since I upgraded to W10, the Audio Service and internet connection both keep crashing. Randomly. My computer is the only one hard-wired to the router. We have others and none loses their signal. I made sure to try wi-fi on and off, no difference. Tried a different cable....
  9. XPS 8700 Boot Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    XPS 8700 Boot Issues: About a month ago I decided to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 on my 2 year old XPS 8700. The update went smoothly and worked fine. When I would shutdown my computer or restart it would attempt to update but fail and revert changes every time. I found this weird but it...
  10. Long Boot Up Time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long Boot Up Time: Help appreciated. Couple days ago, my PC took about 2 minutes or more to boot. Ran malware/Virus scans with no errors. After powering up, I notice that the Blue Windows Logo shows up twice on solid black background, with animated spinning dots (CW), then thereafter that goes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xps8700 BIOS boot slow

2. check dell xps 8700 replace cmos battery

3. Dell XPS 8700 System BIOS a14 will ship

4. dell xps 8700 cmos battery,
  5. xps 8700 a14 bios boot times,
  6. why dell xps 8700 at time in w10 will not boot,
  7. my dell xps 8700 take more thgan 10 minutes to boot to windows 10,
  8. xps 8700 bios,
  9. slow boot dell xps 8700,
  10. dell xps8700 slow boot