Windows 10: Dell XPS 8920 wakes from touching key/mouse but not the morning.

Discus and support Dell XPS 8920 wakes from touching key/mouse but not the morning. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently enabled the sleep feature in the bios but now it wakes in the evening but not in the morning. 99488 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by win10er, Dec 2, 2017.

1. win10er Win User

Dell XPS 8920 wakes from touching key/mouse but not the morning.

I recently enabled the sleep feature in the bios but now it wakes in the evening but not in the morning.

:)

win10er, Dec 2, 2017

2. Monitor

Computer is a Dell XPS 8920

DellaQuatrevingt, Dec 2, 2017
  3. ReddyVR Win User
    After the latest update (to version 1709), computer shuts down when trying to wake it from sleep mode.

After updating to windows version 1709, every morning when I try to wake the computer (DELL XPS desktop) from sleep mode it shuts down.

When I get to the computer in the morning, I can see that it is in sleep mode(the power button is lit and the computer is totally quiet) and when I move the mouse or type to wake it up, the computer looks like it is waking up (can hear the fan rev up), but
    it shuts down instead.

Thanks

Reddy

ReddyVR, Dec 2, 2017
  4. Dell XPS 8920 wakes from touching key/mouse but not the morning.

Hi win10er

Not 100% sure what the sleep option does in your BIOS. Is there a description?

When you say it wakes in the evening but not in morning I will make an assumption that in the morning the machine has hibernated given what I assume is a long period of no use. In the evening and because of periodic use during day it never gets to hibernate. Now I said assumes and we all know how that ends.

What timings are you using for sleep and hibernation?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  5. win10er Win User
    Right, it's all in my posts. Timings are all 30 minutes BEFORE sleeping and it works fine for an hour +-.

win10er, Dec 4, 2017
  6. Okay what is hibernation set at?

If you want to see if this is a hibernation issue shut it off at the command line.

Right click start, either command prompt(admin) or powershell(admin) enter

powercfg -h off

Test. To reverse change the word off to on in command. This disables Fast Startup but this is just a test.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  7. win10er Win User
    Hibernation is set at none. I don't do all those fancy moves in fear of messing something up. I think there is a simple fix for this. Is there a change in the bios I can try?

win10er, Dec 4, 2017
  8. Dell XPS 8920 wakes from touching key/mouse but not the morning.

Did you run command?

In my original post I asked what the description was beside sleep in BIOS. Did you reference that?

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  9. win10er Win User
    Describing what? I don't do commands and stuff like that, I think there is a simple solution since it works for a while.

win10er, Dec 4, 2017
  10. I was asking what the description was in the BIOS for sleep.

If you want one simple item you could try resetting your power plan.

Caledon Ken, Dec 4, 2017
  11. win10er Win User
    The bios now has the USB wake support enabled and it now only works for an hour instead of never (before then it was disabled). Performance plan is like driving around with the pedal to the metal and the penny saver one is too slow, it is set on balanced and should work there. There must be an adjustment somewhere, it almost works.

win10er, Dec 5, 2017
  12. Okay so you know your plan and its settings, your can restore to defaults and then re-customized.

Caledon Ken, Dec 5, 2017
  13. win10er Win User

Restore what to defaults?

win10er, Dec 5, 2017
  14. I think we both agree a setting that impacts sleep is out of whack. If you go into your power plan that you are currently using there is an option to reset the the plan to defaults. My intention was to hope that this would reset the glitched component. Then as you know the settings you have for this plan you could re-apply.

Can I ask. Before you made this change in BIOS your machine would sleep at all?

Caledon Ken, Dec 5, 2017
  15. win10er Win User
    It's only 2 weeks old and never had a problem sleeping but it never woke at the touch of a key until I enabled USB wake in the bios but it only works right for an hour and goes back to not waking when you hit a key. I will restore the power options now.

win10er, Dec 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Dell XPS 8920 wakes from touching key/mouse but not the morning. - Similar Threads - Dell XPS 8920

2. Can anyone help me fins a Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 that won’t boot?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can anyone help me fins a Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 that won’t boot?: Can anyone help me find the Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 PC that won’t boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-anyone-help-me-fins-a-windows-10-home-product/cb87db87-3e58-45e2-8d65-d2014b25a2b7
  3. Can anyone help me fins a Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 that won’t boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help me fins a Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 that won’t boot?: Can anyone help me find the Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 PC that won’t boot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-anyone-help-me-fins-a-windows-10-home-product/cb87db87-3e58-45e2-8d65-d2014b25a2b7
  4. Can anyone help me fins a Windows 10 Home product key on a Dell XPS 8920 that won’t boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dell XPS 15 9510 Will Not Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell XPS 15 9510 Will Not Wake From Sleep: Anybody else met and fixed this issue?My new XPS 15 laptop will not wake from sleep when there is an app like Abobe photoshop, Bridge or Blender open. But, sleep works fine when simpler apps like office are running. The only way to recover it is to hold power button for 10...
  6. Dell XPS 15 9510 Will Not Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell XPS 15 9510 Will Not Wake From Sleep: Anybody else met and fixed this issue?My new XPS 15 laptop will not wake from sleep when there is an app like Abobe photoshop, Bridge or Blender open. But, sleep works fine when simpler apps like office are running. The only way to recover it is to hold power button for 10...
  7. Dell XPS 15 9510 Will Not Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. no touch screen on dell xps 13

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no touch screen on dell xps 13: Can someone please tell me how I can get the touch screen to work on a new Dell Xps 13 9300. The touch screen facility has not worked from day 1 now on day 3. The touch screen does not appear under the human interface driver so I cannot enable it there. thanks...
  9. BSODs on Wake for Dell XPS 13 9350

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs on Wake for Dell XPS 13 9350: Hello Everyone, I recently purchased a Manufacturer Refurbished Dell XPS 13 9350 (Skylake), and all has not been well. The laptop constantly BSODs whenever I wake it from sleep. The thing is that it works without a hitch for hours on end on a cold boot, but as soon as I...
  10. Dell 8920 - ssd and is secondary below it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell 8920 - ssd and is secondary below it?: Could you guys take a quick look at my photo of the drives in my Dell 8920 and explain this arrangement? Can I clone my OS and then pull the power and little black plug wire off of what I 'think' is the currently installed SSD and use them for a 1TB replacement SSD? There...