Windows 10: Demanding games and VR cause black screen after latest Win 10 update

Discus and support Demanding games and VR cause black screen after latest Win 10 update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. After the Windows 10 update on the 9th May some of the newer games and also VR (HTC Vive) are causing black screen and the only solution is to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rootsrat, May 16, 2017.

1. rootsrat Win User

Demanding games and VR cause black screen after latest Win 10 update

Hello. After the Windows 10 update on the 9th May some of the newer games and also VR (HTC Vive) are causing black screen and the only solution is to hard reset. Details below.

On 9th May the following updates were installed on my system:

• 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871)
    • 2017-05 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020821)

Following those updates, some of the more demanding games (Elite: Dangerous, Project Cars) are not working correctly, causing both of my screens to turn black and the whole system freezes (I can tell by mouse cursor not reacting to muse movements). The only solution is to hard reset my PC.

I can generally run those games, but after a few minutes the above happens - always. I can play other, less demanding games without any problems.

The same thing happens in 2D and when I use HTC Vive.

I have all the latest graphic drivers installed (nVidia 382.05) along with GeForce Experience and all the other components of my system are up to date. I am an advanced user.

Does anyone have a similar problem or knows how to fix it?

My rig:

Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit

PSU
    BeQuiet 850 W Dark Pro 11

CPU
    Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz

RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-30)

Motherboard
    MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

Displays
    Acer acer XB270HU (2560x1440@144Hz)
    H191 (1440x900@60Hz)

Graphics
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8 GB VRAM

Storage
    256 GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO (SSD) x2
    59 GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series (SSD)
    1.5 TB Seagate ST31500341AS (HDD)
    3 TB WD My Cloud (HDD)

Optical DrivesLG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray RW SATA (Internal)
    AudioRealtek High Definition Audio (mobo chip)
    Sound Blaster Tactic3D Wrath USB Sound Card (headset)

PeripheralsSaitek X52 Pro (HOTAS)
    Corsair K70 RGB Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Sound Blaster Tactic3D Omega Wireless Headset
    TrackIR 5 + IR Clip
    HTC Vive

:)

rootsrat, May 16, 2017
  2. DaveGumpo Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Fails to Install - Black screen mid-installation, no cursor

Just reporting is a similar problem, if not the same problem.

Update to latest version, black screen on reboot.

Wiped PC tried to do clean install of latest win 10.

Then weird BSOD CPU errors toward the end of the installation after or maybe while doing hardware detection.

Wiped PC dropped on win 7 everything was fine under 7, did an upgrade to 10 black screen again.

Something in the latest windows 10 is causing a lot of hardware issues as this if not the only PC on my workbench with windows update issues this week.....

If I had to guess I think these spectre and meltdown patches have been rushed out and not full tested.

Its a core 2 duo based system if anyone from MS is taking any note of all these 'issues'

DaveGumpo, May 16, 2017
  3. Blue screen then turn to black

I upgraded my laptop from win 8.1 to win 10, it was working fine for 2 months and after the windows done some auto updates suddenly it crashed to blue screen then black screen and after rebooting it keeps crashing the same way till it caused me the damage
    of my hard drive, after i replaced my hard drive and install win 8.1 as original i go to update it to win 10 and again after the windows automatic update it starts to crash the same way again blue screen then black screen and going for auto repair mode, then
    I am back to my original win 8.1

please can somebody advice me what to do to upgrade to win 10 and avoid this crashing after the upgrade.

now my laptop OS is win 8.1

Hammam Elhalwany, May 16, 2017
Thema:

Demanding games and VR cause black screen after latest Win 10 update

1. Demanding games and VR cause black screen after latest Win 10 update - Similar Threads - Demanding games cause

2. Bluescreen after demanding games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bluescreen after demanding games: My computer crashes seemingly randomly when playing demanding games, 1 time in Ready or Not2 times in Counter-Strike 2and 1 time in Fortnite, which I have the dump forI scanned memory using the windows memory diagnostic, and it didn't find anythingI also did /SFC scannow, but...
  3. Black screen after new win 10 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after new win 10 update: After i downloaded nee update and restarted pc i see only Black screen please help submitted by /u/FalesnyNemo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l2r44u/black_screen_after_new_win_10_update/
  4. Laptop Black Screen after Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Black Screen after Win 10 update: I updated from win 7 to win 10 three years ago. All was well until March of this year, when the laptop sometimes failed to complete boot cycle and gave a black screen. The problem got worse and worse and I resorted to resetting the laptop and reinstalling Win 10,but now the...
  5. Black Screen After Latest Update

Black Screen After Latest Update: After installing the latest update not the most recent one, my HP laptop shut down and will not start again. All I get is a black screen. How can I restart Windows 10? Pat...
  6. Microsoft latest cumulative update caused black screen

Microsoft latest cumulative update caused black screen: Wednesday 2nd April downloaded KB 4535996 installed and when told do not switch off your PC reached 100% it went into a black screen from blue with white dotted circle whilst loading I have tried everything to return to normal. Contacted Microsoft technician told to contact...
  7. Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen

Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen: Hello, i just got the popup for the latest windows windows update and went ahead to update it. I let it run and update, although when i came back, i was greeted by a grey, blank screen. I assumed it was part of the update procedure, but after 30 mintues, I resorted to...
  8. Black Screen After Latest Update

Black Screen After Latest Update: I started the update to my Win10 Pro last night. The screen said it will take a long time (my words), so I went to bed expecting the latest to be fully installed and ready to go this morning. However, I now have a black screen. Occasionally, I will see my mouse cursor, and...
  9. Black screen after latest update

Black screen after latest update: After i install the latest update. It was fine but next time i open my pc i got black screen and a window pop up saying personalize setting not responding please help....
  10. Windows 10 Black Loading Screen After Latest Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Black Loading Screen After Latest Update: Hello, So yesterday I went to shut down my computer when Windows only gave me the option "Update & Shut Down" so I gave in and let it do its thing and update. I left it to update over night and came back this morning to a black loading screen with a little spiral spinning...