Windows 10: Denied Access to delete files

Discus and support Denied Access to delete files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am experiencing the infamous Blue Screen irregularly and I suspect from reading posts it is linked to AVG Internet Security product. I bought this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Polterry, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Polterry Win User

Denied Access to delete files

I am experiencing the infamous Blue Screen irregularly and I suspect from reading posts it is linked to AVG Internet Security product. I bought this but later canceled it and thought I had uninstalled it. However later I found that the uninstallation left a lot, if not all, the files behind. Windows, Ccleaner etc. showed the program as being deleted. I subsequently searched AVG and then tried deleting all files found. I am the only user and the administrator; I do not enter my MS password at start-up. I have managed to delete a large no. of files but I am left with several where each time I try to delete I get a message "File access denied - you need to provide administrator permission to delete this file" I click on Continue but I am still denied access.

How do I get access to delete these files?

:)

Polterry, Oct 14, 2016

2. Unable to Delete files, Access Denied

Hi Varren,

We would like to know more information about your concern so we can better assist you.

• Have you tried uninstalling the game in the Control Panel?
    • What are you trying to clean install? Is it the Operating System or just the software?

We look forward to you response.

Marilou Ser, Oct 14, 2016
  3. Varren Win User
    Unable to Delete files, Access Denied

I am unable to delete some game files in order to do a clean install. I have tried everything: using command prompt, logging onto an elevated admin account, and changing ownership of the file. The kicker is that the ownership of the file says it is to
    this account, and changing it really wouldn't help. Any help from the community?

Varren, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Boot to Safe Mode or even to a Command prompt. But before that, I'd try AVG's own remover tool.

https://support.avg.com/SupportArtic...-uninstall-AVG

5. Polterry Win User
    Thanks for suggestions. I tried AVG Remover but it found nothing; probably because I had already deleted the bulk of the files. I also tried Command and Safe Mode but both gave Denied message. So the question remains how do I get access to delete files? Would changing to MS login at Start help?

Polterry, Oct 15, 2016
  6. RPO
    rpo Win User
    Take ownership of the files/directories left on your systeme (right click, properties and security tab) and changes the permissions.

7. Bree New Member
    Well...

....you could install AVG again. Then the remover would know what to remove. *Biggrin

8. Polterry Win User

I tried with Folder but cannot work out how to change settings for Everyone. In System all options are light and "delete"is

Denied Access to delete files [​IMG]

enabled. I am logged in as Administrator anyway. Sorry about upload not familiar with adding files here

Polterry, Oct 16, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Install this app made by Brink, let it run, it will add a registry entry, and give you a new command in your file menu to take ownership of the files you can't delete.
    Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

OldMike65, Oct 16, 2016
  10. Polterry Win User
    No thanks! AVG can only be described in 4 letter words. Suffice it to say it took me 4 weeks and several emails to get a refund

Polterry, Oct 16, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    I know how you feel, I stopped using AVG back in Windows 7 days - it was increasingly behaving like 'bloatware'.

One of the (few) polite 4-letter words for AVG is 'free' - as a last resort you could try installing 'AVG AntiVirus FREE' then run the remover on that.

12. Polterry Win User
    Thanks for sharing my views regarding AVG. However I am surmising that the "Blue Screen" is caused by AVG files and whilst it would be good to remove the AVG what I would really like to know is how to overcome the Denied Access.
    I am the Administrator and as such surely I should be able to delete any file? In my ignorance I believed I could do this even if it
    completely messes up my Windows and I have to do a re-install. I do not propose doing such it is just what I thought I could do.

Why can I not delete files avc.inf, avc.sys, avcstrm.sys

Polterry, Oct 16, 2016
  13. Polterry Win User

Just seen the above and bookmarked the page. I will go through in detail tomorrow and let all know the outcome

Polterry, Oct 16, 2016
  14. Polterry Win User
    WORKED A TREAT!!!

I will now wait and see if Blue Screen stops appearing

THANKS FOR EVERBODIES HELP

Polterry, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Denied Access to delete files - Similar Threads - Denied Access delete

2. Cant delete large file, "access denied"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant delete large file, "access denied": A couple years back I got Xbox game pass for my pc, and i installed Forza Horizons 5. I played it for a while and enjoyed it but then I ran out of game pass subscription. When i went to go uninstall it to free up some space it said it had uninstalled it fine and no longer...
  3. Cant delete large file, "access denied"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete large file, "access denied": A couple years back I got Xbox game pass for my pc, and i installed Forza Horizons 5. I played it for a while and enjoyed it but then I ran out of game pass subscription. When i went to go uninstall it to free up some space it said it had uninstalled it fine and no longer...
  4. Cant delete large file, "access denied"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Access Denied

File Access Denied: I am trying to add a comment to a URL shortcut on my desktop. So, I right click the file, choose Properties, then Details. I fill in the Description field. I hit Apply and get: File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this...
  6. Access denied when force deleting a file

Access denied when force deleting a file: The previous owner of my windows 10 laptop fell for a scam? involving a free burning studio from disc-maker.net. The program causes a pop-up to be on my screen all the time, and the pop up won't go away. I traced the file down and attempted to delete it, but since it's...
  7. Zombie file cannot be deleted (access denied & file not found)

in Windows 10 Support
    Zombie file cannot be deleted (access denied & file not found): I am trying to delete a file and when I list the contents of the folder it ‘lives in, the file is visible but: When I try to erase the file or change its attributes, I get an “Access Denied” message. When I try to take ownership, I get a “File not found” message. When I try...
  8. Delete File failed; code 5 Access Denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete File failed; code 5 Access Denied: trying to install a file on my new Dell Alienware PC I have full admin rights on the pc can anyone please point me in the right direction... it's driving me crazy...
  9. Deleting files/folders access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting files/folders access denied: Ok I have a flash drive connected to my network directly inserted into my router. After much research and toying with the settings I finally got it to show up in Windows File Explorer and it appears under "THIS PC" as one of my drives on the "NETWORK" and when I view...
  10. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Support
    File Access Denied: I get the following message when I try to 'save, 'save as' or 'paste': File Access Denied You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file. I have no idea was to what causes this nor have I made any security changes. Any ideas? 29590