Windows 10: Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10

Discus and support Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 How to Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10

How to: Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10

How to Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10

You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows 10 PC from a remote device. When you allow remote desktop connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk.

By default, Remote Desktop Services.

See also: Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to deny specific users and groups to log on with a Remote Desktop connection in Windows 10.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to deny users and groups to log on through Remote Desktop Services.

*Warning This Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services policy will override the Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services policy.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: Undeny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Local Security Policy
    • Option Three: Deny or Undeny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Add User or Group button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Object Types button. (see screenshot below)

6. Check all the boxes for Object types, and click/tap on the OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user or group (ex: "Guests") you want to add to deny, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*tip If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Undeny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Deny log on through Remote Desktop Services policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the user or group (ex: "Guests") you want to remove to undeny, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

*tip If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Deny or Undeny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to do the following below before continuing on to step 2 below.
    A) Download the ntrights.exe file below from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
    Download
    B) Save the ntrights.zip file to your desktop, and unblock it.

C) Open the ntrights.zip file, copy or move the ntrights.exe file into your C:\Windows\System32 folder, and click/tap on Continue to approve.
    2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Type the command you want below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add user or group to allow)
    *Arrow ntrights +r SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight -u "User or Group"

OR

(Remove user or group to prevent)
    *Arrow ntrights -r SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight -u "User or Group"

*note Substitute User or Group in the command above with the actual name of the user or group (ex: "Guests) you want to add or remove for this policy.

For example: ntrights +r SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight -u "Guests"

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 10, 2018

2. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Oct 27, 2019
  3. after windows 10 pro upgrade - no "remote desktop users" group

After Pro upgrade, I was unable to assign users to allow remote desktop. "Select Users ..." button is greyed out.

There is no "Remote Desktop Users" group

Tried manually adding the group with no success.

Also tried group policy with no success.

Any suggestions?

pcadvice-dennis, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Jizzler Win User

remote desktop woe`s

Users that are part of the Remote Desktop Users group and have a password set would be able to log into the computer remotely.

Jizzler, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Remote access denied.

Hi Paul,

To resolve your concern about remote access denied, follow the steps below:

• Press the Windows logo+R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc on the Run box.
    • Open Remote Desktop Services.
    • Go to the Log On tab.
    • Select This account: Network Service.
    • Click Apply, and then OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 Remote Desktop - The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote logon

"open secpol.msc

go to \Local Policies\User Rights Assignment

double-click on Allow log on through Remote Desktop

Services --> Add Users or Group --> enter Remote Desktop Users

Start-->Run-->services.msc

Look for Remote Desktop Services and make sure the Log on account is Network System, not Local Service.

Check your event logs."

team viewer is a screen share and remote desktop tool via internet

ArslanAsif, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Deny Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Deny Users Groups

2. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group: I need to connect to the company Server, and I get this error:A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents me from logging in.[Content]A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents you from logging in. For assistance, contact your system...
  3. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group: I need to connect to the company Server, and I get this error:A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents me from logging in.[Content]A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents you from logging in. For assistance, contact your system...
  4. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Remote desktop connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote...: Good morning,I have been working on this problem more than a day, I am exhausted and I wonder if someone can help me... Thank you.DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program...
  6. Remote desktop Protocol Windows 10: can it warn before logging in if another user is...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote desktop Protocol Windows 10: can it warn before logging in if another user is...: In our office, we have multiple users that sometimes use RDP to connect to the same computer. Currently, it just boots the first user off if a second user logs in. Is there a setting that warns if someone is already connected?...
  7. remote desktop users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remote desktop users: I have a problem in that i user disconnects the other user, more detail below: The main pc (called Server-pc) has 3 users, 'administrator', 'owner' and 'client'. another computer has 1 user (client) when the 'owner' is using the server-pc and the another pc user on pc...
  8. Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10: How to: Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 How to Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account. By default, the Guest account is denied to sign in locally to...
  9. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Log on with Remote Desktop in Windows 10 You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows 10 PC from a remote...
  10. Manage Groups in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage Groups in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC: How to: Manage Groups in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC How to Manage Groups in Remote Desktop app on Windows 10 PC You can download and install the free connect to a remote PC or virtual apps and desktops made available by your admin. The app helps you be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot