Windows 10: Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

Discus and support Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 How to Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 By default, you need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

How to: Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

How to Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account.

By default, the Guest account is denied to sign in locally to Windows 10.

See also: Deny log on locally (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to deny specific users and groups from being able to sign in (log on) locally to a Windows 10 PC.

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to deny users and groups to sign in locally.

*Warning Only allowed users and groups will be able to sign in locally to Windows 10. This Deny log on locally policy will override the Allow log on locally policy.

*Warning It is highly recommended to system restore to undo it. For example, if all accounts on the computer are denied to sign in by mistake.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: Undeny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    • Option Three: Deny or Undeny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "The sign in method you're trying to use isn't allowed. For more info, contact your network administrator." message when a user or group is denied to sign in locally

Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Deny log on locally policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Add User or Group button. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Advanced button. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on the Object Types button. (see screenshot below)

6. Check all the boxes for Object types, and click/tap on the OK. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on the Find Now button, select the name of the user or group (ex: "Guests") you want to add to deny, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*tip If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

9. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Undeny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Local Security Policy
    *note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy, click/tap on User Rights Assignment, and double click/tap on the Deny log on locally policy in the right pane. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the user or group (ex: "Guest") you want to remove to undeny, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

*tip If you like, you can press and hold the Ctrl key to select more than one user and/or group.

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Deny or Undeny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally in Command Prompt
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to do the following below before continuing on to step 2 below.
    A) Download the ntrights.exe file below from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools.
    Download
    B) Save the ntrights.zip file to your desktop, and unblock it.

C) Open the ntrights.zip file, copy or move the ntrights.exe file into your C:\Windows\System32 folder, and click/tap on Continue to approve.
    2. Open an elevated command prompt.

3. Type the command you want below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add user or group to allow)
    *Arrow ntrights +r SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight -u "User or Group"

OR

(Remove user or group to prevent)
    *Arrow ntrights -r SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight -u "User or Group"

*note Substitute User or Group in the command above with the actual name of the user or group (ex: "Guests) you want to add or remove for this policy.

For example: ntrights +r SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight -u "Guests"

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 10, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Show Local users and Groups

Hello Frank, and welcome to Ten Forums. Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 :)

If you have the Windows 10 Home edition, then it will not have Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) included in it. It's only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions instead.

If you like, you could use step 3 in OPTION THREE of the tutorial below list users in a group.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...a.html#option4

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. hooked Win User

Hey Brink, I was just looking at groups in netplwiz today and I noticed that my user account is just in the Admin group now, it used to be in Users and Admin. I have home, so I can't change it. I don't know how it changed. I guess there's nothing I can do about it. Will it be a problem?
    I'm tempted to downgrade to my 8.1 pro and go to 10 pro.

hooked, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

"The Group Policy Client Service Failed the Sign in" for Windows 10 Local User

I am the admin on our Windows 10 laptop. My son is a local user. I am able to logon as well as my daughter who is also setup as a local user. He receives the "The Group Policy Client Service Failed the sign-in. Access is denied" error upon logging in.

All of the help articles are dated back 9 years at least and don't seem to address this issue.

Microsoft is impossible to get a live person to talk to! Frustrating!!!

Heather and TimZielinski, Oct 27, 2019
  5. the group policy client service failed the sign-in access is denied windows 10

Hi you

I have a bad problem. I can't sign in to my account in Windows 10( home )( Asus N501 vw) . There is only one user account and when I type right pass to sign in , a green screen shot appears which contains this sentence:

The group policy client service failed the sign-in access is denied

I have read all suggestion to fix it but I can't sign in and all these suggestions worked when you are​ sign in.

What can I do?

Thanks.best regards

Behnamboure, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Frank C Win User

Hello,
    I want to get a list of Local Users and Groups as shown in the first screen shot (taken from the Web).
    When I run Computer Management as administrator that information is not available under
    Computer Management > System Tools (second screen shot - my computer)
    How can I get this information?

Thanks

Frank C, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

1. Deny Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Deny Users Groups

2. Local account user denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local account user denied: Please, I am trying to run programs on my laptop , windows 11. But acess is denied with the * yes* button disappearing. I have tried all means but with safe mode prompt command but the * yes* button does not appear. Please help me out...
  3. Local account user denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local account user denied: Please, I am trying to run programs on my laptop , windows 11. But acess is denied with the * yes* button disappearing. I have tried all means but with safe mode prompt command but the * yes* button does not appear. Please help me out...
  4. Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.: I tried to remove one built in account from SAM database in Windows Server 2022. After that, the built in account got removed, but in local users and groups mmc, I am not able to see local groups. However, all local groups are present. I am able to see the local users, but...
  5. Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local groups not visible in Local Users and Groups MMC.: I tried to remove one built in account from SAM database in Windows Server 2022. After that, the built in account got removed, but in local users and groups mmc, I am not able to see local groups. However, all local groups are present. I am able to see the local users, but...
  6. Local users and groups not editable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Local users and groups not editable?: Hi guys, I've had the same MacBook since 2011, and am soooo behind the times with Windows. I just bought a cheap laptop at Walmart for purposes of Zoom and creating documents/surfing the web. My Mac is so old and messed up that I needed something newer to use on a daily. The...
  7. Local Users and Groups

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Users and Groups: I am trying to sort my old laptop for my son to use. I am trying to add a new user so that can be his profile. Local Users and Groups appears to be missing from the settings and I cannot find a way to restore it. Furthermore, the only admin account on the computer is my...
  8. Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10: How to: Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 How to Allow or Prevent Users and Groups to Sign in Locally to Windows 10 By default, you need to dismiss the sign in to Windows 10 with your account. By default, Users, Guests, Backup...
  9. Show Local users and Groups

Show Local users and Groups: Hello, I want to get a list of Local Users and Groups as shown in the first screen shot (taken from the Web). When I run Computer Management as administrator that information is not available under Computer Management > System Tools (second screen shot - my computer) How...
  10. No users visible in Local Users and Groups

No users visible in Local Users and Groups: After forgetting the local administrator password, I followed that guide for offline editing the SAM registry file. This clearly caused a problem, because no I see no users in LUAG as per the attached. All the accounts work fine, except the built-in administrator account...