Windows 10: Deregister Windows 10 on stolen PC?

Discus and support Deregister Windows 10 on stolen PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Thanks for the additional suggestions. I did chat with a Microsoft rep today, and they advised me to activate the product key on my new PC which will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gaitski, Nov 22, 2017.

1. debsawyer Win User

Deregister Windows 10 on stolen PC?

Sounds like a plan.

debsawyer, Dec 8, 2017
  2. alexk207 Win User

I think the product key is built-in to the computer's motherboard.

alexk207, Dec 8, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    Another MS Rep that has no idea what they are talking about.... I have a couple of computers that were originally activated with the same product key - activating the second computer has no affect on the previously activated computer.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  4. gaitski Win User

This is so bizarre... so what's to stop someone from just sharing their install disc with 10 friends? It seems like Microsoft would have something in place to prevent that...?

gaitski, Dec 8, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You only get to use the same product key for the initial activation of Windows 10 a certain number of times in a certain period of time before it gets blocked from automatic online activation. Then you have to call Microsoft and tell them you are installing that copy of Windows on only one computer and you get the activation code in return. However, with Windows 10, once it is initially activated, the activation itself moves to a digital license stored on Microsoft Activation servers and the product key used for the initial activation becomes completely irrelevant. Subsequent installations of Windows 10 do not require any product key at all to install and activate, so long as the same version (IE: Home or Pro) is installed on the same computer. The digital license for the activation will be retrieved from Microsoft Activation servers based on the hardware ID of the computer itself, not a product key.

As of yet there is no way for the user to remove the digital license for that computer stored on Microsoft Activation servers, and apparently from Microsoft's answer they can't - or won't - remove the digital license from their servers either. You can even upgrade a computer from Home to Pro, and the digital license for Home for that computer will remain unaffected and subsequently you can then install either Home or Pro on the same computer and it will retrieve the digital license to activate.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  6. Yup, I have several PC's here with DL's for Home, Pro, Pro for Workstation, Education, 10S, even Enterprise. The result of my testing different Editions. I prefer doing it on real hardware instead of a VM. No cheating and using a key on more than one PC. Not on purpose anyway. Nothing to stop me though as far as I know? Once I do a second clean install, with a skip key, there is no record of the original key used to get the DL on the PC. Microsoft isn't saying, but the general consensus is, its not stored on the activation server either. The only key a PC gets with a DL is a generic key for the Edition installed.

alphanumeric, Dec 8, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Actually if you use the store app to swap to Workstation Pro it replaces the generic key with a Volume:MAK key ending -9BV79. This is interesting as MS are using MAK keys for retail customers.

Deregister Windows 10 on stolen PC? [​IMG]

I've no idea what is stored on MS servers but if the size of the generic ticket is anything to go buy, quite a lot of information is sent. If the underlying key (or keys) was not saved I'd be surprised. They always ask you if you phone them (even though most likely they know and probably don't care anyway).

8. Superfly Win User

Really dunno what MS is up to... ?

See here ShowKeyPlus - Page 45 - Windows 10 Forums as well... I got DL via a MAK (VL is not supposed to be included in the upgrade) in Win 8 we needed a new MAK to upgrade.

Superfly, Dec 8, 2017
  9. What I should have said was on a clean install with a skip key the only key a PC gets with a DL is a generic key for the Edition installed. They may track them, I have no idea. I have seen posts where people have braged about using the same Windows 7 TechNet key over and over to activate multiple Windows 10 installs on different PCs..

I went from Pro to Pro for Workstations via change product key, and entered my MSDN Retail key. The key I ended up with ended in 2YV77. The same one listed here, Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions

:EDIT I should have mentioned, I didn't have to go through the Store to upgrade from Pro to Pro for Workstations.

10. MAK keys aren't VL though right? Multi Activation but they don't use KMS? My Enterprise installs done with MAK keys all got Digital licences. Which I don't think should have happened? I posted it on Microsoft's private Yammer group but got no official reply. Only other MVP's saying WTH?

11. Barman58 Win User
    Windows 7 TechNet keys were, at one time, fully retail MAK keys that never expired and could be used on a "Reasonable" number of different systems ( "reasonable" was never actually defined but was generally taken to be approximately 10 ) *Smile

Barman58, Dec 8, 2017
  12. Yeah, TechNet was probably a poor example to use. Getting back to Enterprise installs getting a DL. If your a large corporation and have some PC's licenced that way, do you still have to pony up for a license from Microsoft? If say they audited you? Not looking for a real answer, just something to ponder. 10 Pro could be activated the same way. Opens a real can of worms IMHO.

13. Barman58 Win User

All I can say is if you are a VL customer that is running 10000 seats and you occasionally go over by a few 10s of licences in use, you will not usually be even contacted by Microsoft, When I was dealing with VL the system administrator handled licensing in house, and was normally as strict as MS would be themselves, MS would be harsher on a company with 100 seats constantly going over but even then it was more likely to be a salesman that contacted the company with a special offer for extra seats *Wink

Of course this applied to both licences you needed for a VL seat, The Seat licence and the Server Client licence ( a server came with a number 10,20,30,50,100 user-client licences with the server licence, you needed to purchase one of these user-client licences for each user/device in using the server,plus there was the licence for the copy of Windows on each device)

Barman58, Dec 8, 2017
  14. I never had any exposure to that side of things. No real knowledge of how it works etc. My point is, or was, If that PC is licensed with a DL does it count in your total allotment of KMS licenses. 10 Pro wouldn't or shouldn't but 10 Enterprise? Anyway I should just let it go, its taking things off topic a bit. There likely isn't a real answer anyway. It's just one of those things that makes you go Hmm? *Think

15. Barman58 Win User
    A VL key is designed to be monitored and "policed" local on the company server (KMS in Large organisations , General business server running the KM software for SME customers), there should be no day to day contact with Microsoft for checking the Key allocation.
    MAK keys are special multi-use keys for laptops and tablets Etc that are likely to be out of touch with a company Key Server for long periods these will be licensed as multiple standard retail licences so now would be held on microsoft's servers as a digital licence - How Microsoft will handle Multiple licence keys under the new system I have not a clue - But a default generic key may be what a user will see - who knows wat Microsoft's servers will retain, data wise

Barman58, Dec 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Deregister Windows 10 on stolen PC? - Similar Threads - Deregister stolen

2. My device was stolen and I can't locate it. If I remove it from my Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My device was stolen and I can't locate it. If I remove it from my Microsoft account...: My device was stolen and I haven't been able to locate it on 'My Devices'. If I remove it from my Microsoft account devices will it remove the bitlocker encryption? Or will the bitlocker encryption remain regardless? Thanks for any info....
  3. My device was stolen and I can't locate it. If I remove it from my Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My device was stolen and I can't locate it. If I remove it from my Microsoft account...: My device was stolen and I haven't been able to locate it on 'My Devices'. If I remove it from my Microsoft account devices will it remove the bitlocker encryption? Or will the bitlocker encryption remain regardless? Thanks for any info....
  4. Lock a Stolen Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock a Stolen Device: My laptop was stolen and I am unable to lock the device remotely. If I try the "Find my Device" it shows the battery is 0% and I get the following message : We can’t locate this device since it hasn’t been used in the past 30 days.. Then when I try the "Lock" function I get...
  5. Lock a Stolen Device

Lock a Stolen Device: My laptop was stolen and I am unable to lock the device remotely. If I try the "Find my Device" it shows the battery is 0% and I get the following message : We can’t locate this device since it hasn’t been used in the past 30 days.. Then when I try the "Lock" function I get...
  6. My Microsoft account has been stolen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft account has been stolen: Hello my acc on microsoft has been hacked and stolen on 4th of april 24. The acc has changed email and password and i have no way of accesing it now. How to contact a microsoft tech support or something, or to try to restore my account.* Moved from Community Center...
  7. How to deregister Windows 10 keys from a deleted VMWare Workstation instance

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to deregister Windows 10 keys from a deleted VMWare Workstation instance: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  8. How do I deregister my phone number from the "Your Phone" app?

How do I deregister my phone number from the "Your Phone" app?: Hello I'm trying to remove the "Your Phone" application off of my computer. Was a mistake setting this nightmare up. How do I deregister my phone number off this crappy app? I tried to shut it down, delete the application, and won't go away. It disrupt phone calls by hanging...
  9. Windows 10 home deregister.....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 home deregister.....: I bought a PC six months ago that came with Windows 10 home loaded onto it and an activation product code on an official sticker on the rear of the case. The machine was totally wiped out by a lightning strike last week and rendered useless. How can I deregister the Windows...
  10. Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Deregister Current Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. [img]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 9BV79

2. how to deregister my stolen laptop windows key

3. 9BV79

4. deregister windows 10 key