Windows 10: Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

Discus and support Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows How to Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows primary mouse button. To set when ClickLock... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

How to: Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

How to Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

primary mouse button.

To set when ClickLock is turned on, you would briefly press the primary mouse button on an item until the click is "locked". You can now highlight or drag the item without holding down the mouse button. To release, you would press the primary mouse button again.

You can change the settings for ClickLock to adjust how long you need to hold down the primary mouse button before your click is "locked".

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Mouse ClickLock and change ClickLock settings for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Mouse Properties
    • Option Two: Change Settings for ClickLock in Mouse Properties
    • Option Three: Change Settings for ClickLock in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Mouse Properties

*note For reference, this setting is stored as the UserPreferencesMask (REG_BINARY) value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop registry key. However, the UserPreferencesMask (REG_BINARY) value also includes other settings (ex: Visual Effects).
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Mouse icon.

2. In the Buttons tab, check (on) or uncheck (off - default) the Turn on ClickLock box for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note If you turned on ClickLock, you can also change the Settings for it if you like.

Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Settings for ClickLock in Mouse Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Mouse icon.

2. In the Buttons tab, click/tap on the Settings button under ClickLock. (see screenshot below)

*note If Turn on ClickLock is not checked (turned on), then the Settings button will be grayed out.

3. Adjust the slider for how short or long you want to hold down the primary mouse button before your click is "locked", and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The time range from 200-2200 milliseconds. The default time is 1200 milliseconds shown below.

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Change Settings for ClickLock in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the ClickLockTime DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Select (dot) Decimal, type a number between 200-2200 milliseconds for how long you want to hold down the primary mouse button before your click is "locked", and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default time is 1200 milliseconds.

5. Close Registry Editor.

6. restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Brink, Jun 14, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Mouse Properties

Hello malhaddi, and welcome to Ten Forums. Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows :)

The ClickLock should hold for you until you click/tap on the primary button.

Since it sounds like you're using a touchpad, it may be best to turn off "tapping" for it to avoid easily releasing ClickLock. This way you would actually have to press the left button on the touchpad to release instead of a mistaken tap.

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows Clicklock not engaging.

I am disabled and use a trackball and Windows 10. In most software when I need to hold the Left Mouse button in and drag the mouse, Clicklock will engage if I hold down the Left mouse button for the time length I set it.

There are however a few older games (eg Emperor battle for Dune, Empire Earth II and a few other) where it simply doesn't work at all. It happens on two pc's as well as laptop, so it definitely is not hardware related. Any suggestions?

Chrisjantrane, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

Mouse and Windows 10

To continue troubleshooting the issue about your Microsoft 2000 mouse, please refer to the troubleshooting suggestion below.

* ClickLock might be accidentally turned on in your computer. To check and troubleshoot, please follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + R.

2. On the Run dialogue box, type in main.cpl.

3. Press Enter.

4. The Mouse Properties page will pop up. Under the Buttons
    tab you will see the ClickLock category.

5. Remove the check in the Turn on ClickLock option. Click
    Apply
    and then, OK.

6. Check to see if the mouse will now function normally.

Please feel free to post the result of your troubleshooting procedure so we can provide you further troubleshooting suggestions.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Mouse Properties

I understand, but I'm not aware of such a setting available. Only to click again to release ClickLock. *Sad

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Most single mouse clicks translated into two clicks

I would try a different mouse.

Frederik Long, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows

1. Turn On or Off Mouse ClickLock in Windows - Similar Threads - Turn Off Mouse

2. ClickLock on Windows 11 won't turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ClickLock on Windows 11 won't turn off.: I'm using an ASUS laptop with Windows 11 and I've been encountering a problem with ClickLock. I've tried going to the mouse settings, trackpad settings, and even going to the additional mouse settings to turn ClickLock on and off, but it won't work. I have a feeling that this...
  3. ClickLock on Windows 11 won't turn off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ClickLock on Windows 11 won't turn off.: I'm using an ASUS laptop with Windows 11 and I've been encountering a problem with ClickLock. I've tried going to the mouse settings, trackpad settings, and even going to the additional mouse settings to turn ClickLock on and off, but it won't work. I have a feeling that this...
  4. Turn off mouse hover

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn off mouse hover: The mouse hover feature is the absolute worst feature I have ever seen. Windows open and close on their own and one time it even deleted a folder of important files. I have a recent version of Windows 10 Home edition. In an old Microsoft community post it showed how to do...
  5. Turning off Mouse Keys turns off my mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off Mouse Keys turns off my mouse pointer: So every now and then Mouse Keys gets turned on. I'm not sure how, maybe some keyboard shortcut gets accidentally pressed to turn it on while I'm cleaning it? Anyways, I went to turn it off and when I do, it disables my mouse pointer. How do I fix this? I can't use my...
  6. Mouse Keys will not turn off

Mouse Keys will not turn off: After recently restarting my Surface tablet, I am unable to turn off the Mouse Keys function. In Settings, I have the "Control your mouse with a keypad" option turned to "off", but using my arrow keys still moves my mouse....
  7. Mouse and Keyboard turning off

Mouse and Keyboard turning off: Hello, So for last few days I've had this problem with my keyboard which was turning off randomly and only way to fix it was reBoot. I've tried pretty much everything that I read on internet: Device Managerdrivers update/uninstall, disable power saving on each of them etc...
  8. Mouse keys not turning off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse keys not turning off: I have the ease of access feature "Mouse Keys" turned off however it still moves when ever I use my mouse and keyboard. I have looked on the internet and each thing keeps telling me to go to settings. These are the things I have tried my self: unplugging both my mouse and...
  9. Windows Clicklock not engaging.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Clicklock not engaging.: I am disabled and use a trackball and Windows 10. In most software when I need to hold the Left Mouse button in and drag the mouse, Clicklock will engage if I hold down the Left mouse button for the time length I set it. There are however a few older games (eg Emperor...
  10. Turning off "window focus follows mouse"

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning off "window focus follows mouse": I was running Win 7 before the upgrade and I had the window focus setting to follow my mouse. In other words, I just needed to place my mouse in a window for it to be focused... no clicking necessary. There was a small delay in the focus and this worked well for me. I find in...