Windows 10: Desktop and Folders not updating

Discus and support Desktop and Folders not updating in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi If I edit a file name, remove or add a file then I have to press F5 to refresh either the folder I'm in or the desktop. Never had to do this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TomT, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TomT Win User

Desktop and Folders not updating

Hi

If I edit a file name, remove or add a file then I have to press F5 to refresh either the folder I'm in or the desktop.
    Never had to do this before.

Any one any ideas how to resolve this

Thanks

:)

TomT, Apr 7, 2016
  2. JimBZD Win User

Win10 Desktop files are in my Desktop folder but not visible on my Desktop

Before the last update the files in my Desktop Folder were on my desktop. After the update the files are in the Desktop folder, but will not display on my Desktop.

What do I need to do to get my files to display on my desktop again?

JimBZD, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Pictures Folder was renamed to Public Desktop

I had something similar. I created a "Desktop" folder on the Desktop itself to hold my mess of files and icons that accumulate on my Desktop over time. Apparently, I had moved a desktop.ini file into my "Desktop" folder which caused my "Desktop" folder
    to automatically rename itself to "Public Desktop". That messed up the path for all of my recent files and caused a huge headache.

Solution: I went into "Public Desktop" and deleted the desktop.ini file. Once that was done, I renamed "Public Desktop" back to "Desktop" and all was well with the world again.

Hope that helps whoever reads this.

mustang025, Apr 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 7, 2016
  5. TomT Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I think my issue may be due to mapped drives to my NAS which is currently turned off.

I'm going to test this later today.

TomT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop and Folders not updating - Similar Threads - Desktop Folders updating

2. Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Folder: hi,i have a suggestion if you ever have the time to implement the idea i think it will be a nice addition,the folders in the desktop,is there a possibility to make the folder look like transparent collections or like android folders to make my desktop look more lively...
  3. Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Folder: hi,i have a suggestion if you ever have the time to implement the idea i think it will be a nice addition,the folders in the desktop,is there a possibility to make the folder look like transparent collections or like android folders to make my desktop look more lively...
  4. Desktop folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop folders: Are the folders/files in C:\Users\user name\Desktop the same as in This PC\Desktop and Desktop\This PC, etc ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders/fca4a621-62e0-47e4-9d7f-f10084ce66f7
  5. Desktop folders

Desktop folders: Are the folders/files in C:\Users\user name\Desktop the same as in This PC\Desktop and Desktop\This PC, etc ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders/fca4a621-62e0-47e4-9d7f-f10084ce66f7
  6. desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop folder within a desktop folder within a desktop folder: Through transferring data from one computer to another, I've ended up with multiple desktop folders inside of the desktop folder inside of file explorer. Combining those folders seems to be a bit of a task and one drive seems complicate this issue. 171578
  7. Desktop folders gone after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop folders gone after update: Update ran and now my Desktop icons are all gone along with folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders-gone-after-update/591f9a16-1fe3-4ae4-88db-db120c9bc4e6
  8. Windows update deleted desktop folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update deleted desktop folder: Today I updated Windows. I took a while as usual and I finally got back to the desktop. I noticed that the user directory (and some other stuff) has been moved to C:\windows.old. The Desktop was nearly empty. I moved everything from C:\windows.old\users\%username%\desktop to...
  9. Desktop Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Folders: The feature allowing me to create new folders on the desktop has stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-folders/a871e3bc-5e42-4dfc-96b8-27efbf2f02ff"
  10. Desktop Folder not updating with File folder

Desktop Folder not updating with File folder: Hi, For ease of access I copied one of My Documents folders to desktop. Now, if I add files to this folder, I have to add it to both, the folder on the desktop and the folder in My Documents (not doing this, one of the folders is missing the added file). Is there any way to...