Windows 10: Desktop appears as a blank screen

Discus and support Desktop appears as a blank screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Home. Build 10240. When I start the system the screen is black. When I go into File Explorer and click on Desktop all of the items... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shipinomore10, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Desktop appears as a blank screen

Running Windows 10 Home. Build 10240. When I start the system the screen is black. When I go into File Explorer and click on Desktop all of the items appear there. I can click on say e-mail and I can get into mail and read or answer them.
    could I use mct and get the latest there and then do an upgrade which should keep all of my data and files.
    I originally did the upgrade from Windows 7 Home and that all went well.
    this has me baffled.
    Shipinomore

:)

shipinomore10, Jan 21, 2016

2. The window desktop does not appear when I turn on the computer

When I turn on the computer the window desktop does not appear. Only black blank screen and cursor. How can I restore the window desktop?

CL Phoenix Saipan, Jan 21, 2016
  3. Newly Pinned Icon On Taskbar Appears As A Blank Page Icon

No, yes, and yes.

DJ Wysocki, Jan 21, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Desktop appears as a blank screen

..............could I use mct and get the latest there and then do an upgrade which should keep all of my data and files..................

Yes. Positively.

MCT link :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Upgrade Install :
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  5. Hi davidhk thank you for the quick response. downloading now.
    I never know if I should use mct or tech bench.
    I think the os is ok and should allow the upgrade and will be sure it saves existing.
    using a iphone with the wifi hotspot is not the swiftest way to do things. have arranged to go to a neighbor and use time warner cable.
    Thank You again
    Shipinomore

6. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    Good luck.

P.S. For installing Win 10, both MCT and Tech Bench are ok.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  7. davidhk

I downloaded this on another machine and not the one that is corrupted.
    I see you say to right click at the iso

don't I have to burn it to a dvd first. that's what I have always done in the past.
    or does right clicking on the iso and then click mount which i guess opens the files on the iso and select setup exe to start.

I use to put the dvd in the drive and restart and select f9 and then select the drive and boot from the dvd.
    shipinomore

8. davidhk Win User

Yes. You don't have to burn the iso to a DVD.
    Just right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will start installation.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  9. davidhk
    Thank You sure shorter than what I have been doing.
    but when you are retired and 77 what's a little time.
    thanks again.
    Shipinomore

10. z3r010 Win User
    Hold on, if this is not the machine you need to update then it needs burning or putting on a USB

z3r010, Jan 21, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Thank you.
    I missed that.

To Shipinomore10,
    You do have to burn the iso to a bootable DVD or USB.
    I apologize for not catching the fact that you are using a different computer to download the iso.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2016
  12. Thank you z3r010 I have burned it to a dvd already. was just copying the file onto another dvd but will not try to use it.
    Shipinomore.

13. Desktop appears as a blank screen

not a problem have not started so all is well.
    Shipinomore

14. z3r010 If I could ask you one more question before I start this update. Is there a way to invoke the settings screen using the windows key + some letter
    I thought if I can get in there I could see what was the last update processed or failed and also to check for updates and perhaps start something going there. just some thoughts before going on.
    Shipinomore

shipinomore10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Desktop appears as a blank screen - Similar Threads - Desktop appears blank

2. Blank Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Desktop: I turned on my surface laptop this morning and it prompted me to sign in to windows, even when the face recognition was working. I followed the instructions and when finished, I went back to my desktop and it was almost blank. Only had an icon of google earth, Chrome, Edge...
  3. Blank Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Desktop: I turned on my surface laptop this morning and it prompted me to sign in to windows, even when the face recognition was working. I followed the instructions and when finished, I went back to my desktop and it was almost blank. Only had an icon of google earth, Chrome, Edge...
  4. Blank Desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. remote desktop blank screen issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    remote desktop blank screen issue: I recently bought lenovo s540 laptop. But I am not able to view my remote machine screen after connection is established. With my old laptop I am able to view my remote desktop screen. laptop configuration: [ATTACH] remote screen: [ATTACH] error: Getting this error...
  6. Desktop is blank

Desktop is blank: When I start up my computer, the desktop is blank except for the taskbar. I run Explorer, and the icons populate the desktop. It's been that way for a couple of days. What did I do, and what should I do now?...
  7. Desktop Replaced By Blank White Screen

Desktop Replaced By Blank White Screen: A couple weeks ago my Desktop started being replaced by a completely blank, white screen. This would happensometimes after I turned on the computer. Within probably a minute of Desktop appearing, it would be replaced the the blank, white screen. I could do various things...
  8. USB reconnecting notifications with blank screen keeps appearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB reconnecting notifications with blank screen keeps appearing: Just have a look at the following video for a better explanation: https://vimeo.com/349450771 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-reconnecting-notifications-with-blank-screen/360c3718-ff10-406c-af84-10c391b246ca
  9. options are appearing blank

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    options are appearing blank: [ATTACH] i dont know whats going on with most things options appear blank i would try to fix it but since its blank, i don't where to start (note this applies to most of my windows i open not just this) is there any way to fix this?...
  10. 2 Blank Folders Appeared on Desktop - Keep coming back

in Windows 10 Support
    2 Blank Folders Appeared on Desktop - Keep coming back: Hey, 2 blank folders have just appeared on my desktop. I can delete them by highlighting and hitting the delete key but they just come straight back. They have no name, no properties. I can't do anything with them. How can I get rid of them and should I be worried...