Windows 10: Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else

Discus and support Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I am having a problem with windows. I was recently having some problems with widows 10 so I had the bright idea to Rest my PC using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by novious, Nov 5, 2015.

1. novious Win User

Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else

Hello all,

I am having a problem with windows. I was recently having some problems with widows 10 so I had the bright idea to Rest my PC using the options in the settings. I then chose to "Keep my files" as I have documents that I would like not to be deleted. So I let this run and nothing out of the ordinary occurred and everything seemed to be going well. Eventually the OS boots up and I get just the the windows 10 background (the one with 4 blue windows tiles). I see this and nothing else. No windows button, no desktop apps, and my keyboard does nothing, ie no ctrl+alt+del does anything. All I have displayed is my internet connection and the ease of access button. I do have a cursor though, but it is useless as right clicking or left clicking does nothing. I have no idea what to do from here. I have had windows 10 for about 4 months and I've never had any major problems. Any help you guys can give I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance for the help!

:)

novious, Nov 5, 2015
  2. Tonyrcl Win User

Desktop Issues - only one window at a time is visible

I have the same problem. However, my issue did not occur right after the Windows 10 install, but a couple of weeks later after a forced shutdown due to a hung system. Desktop shortcuts are accessible by displaying the "show desktop" option on the task
    bar settings, but I do not have access to my desktop otherwise, though I see the background image. Every program I run runs on full screen mode and does not allow for resizing or tiling of windows. Also, Task Manager
    only displays the names of applications running and nothing else! Seems like entire Windows installation has gotten corrupted!!

Tonyrcl, Nov 5, 2015
  3. KBoyke Win User
    Desktop display shows background only

Hello,

I LOVE my Surface Pro 3!! Lately, however it has been asking strangely. Icons are no longer visible on my desktop. Swiping in from the left causes the icons to appear for a microsecond then they disappear.

I can still access all of my desktop applications from the desktop folder that is pinned to the task bar but I am concerned about not being able to see/use the icons directly.

There are no error messages on display.

KBoyke, Nov 5, 2015
  4. novious Win User

Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else [​IMG]
    Here's a image of the problem for further clarification

novious, Nov 5, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Did you mean refresh you tried, because reset would loose everything ? Could try an repair inplace upgrade.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Always keep backups of important files and not trust they will not be lost, keep them on a external drive. When upgrading to a new OS you should then check for updates for system and hardware drivers for your specific PC from manufactuer's web site.

jds63, Nov 5, 2015
  6. novious Win User
    novious, Nov 5, 2015
  7. novious Win User
    Well it seems like this problem just fixed itself. I now have my stuff back to almost normal. The desktop now has the app and now my keyboard, ect. works. Is it possible to restore to a previous restore point or is that too late now that I have rest my pc?

novious, Nov 5, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

How long was it since you did this reset ? Restore points are gone too late for that now as they were wiped in that process.
    Say apps and keyboard, what about taskbar, notification area and is start menu working properly too now ?
    If you had Windows 10 for months now there is no going back to older OS unless you have recovery discs or actual Windows install media disc. Ever think of a clean install if things do not solve themselves ?

Try this at a Admin command prompt copy and paste press enter, let it finish
    sfc /scannow

Same open command prompt copy and paste this press enter ,let it finish
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Reboot after.

Possible system did not get updated through windows update, finished yet.

jds63, Nov 5, 2015
  9. novious Win User
    I did the reset process not even an 1hr ago. I didn't lose any file that were important. I just lost the applications to open them such as word, power pt., etc. So its not necessary if I cant get those back I just didn't want to have re-download all those applications again. I will preform the cmds you gave me as it randomly fixing itself makes me suspicious that something is still wrong with the OS.

novious, Nov 5, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Yes i knew you lost all your added third party software. Since had this for 4 months might think of doing a clean install of Windows 10 at this point now may solve issues if it does not from those commands or by waiting on it. Again before ever upgrading backup all software and files will save you a lot of time in future, some make system images of the drive before hand.

jds63, Nov 5, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
  12. novious Win User
    Thank you so much jds63!!.
    Last things: Can you tell me or direct me to a guide on how to make a system image for windows 10. Also probably more important How do you do a clean install of windows 10 as I am coming from the windows 7 upgrade to windows 10.
    Thank you so much again for you quick responses and help
    You already read my mind *Smile

novious, Nov 5, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Your Welcome ! Plenty of tutorials here to look at when you get a chance, as ones i sent you. In some cases clean install done from a disc ISO or USB will solve certain issues, but up to person if want to go through reinstalling all other software back on. Does seem to run much better this way. Reading minds here is because you deal with many issues and ones similar to yours.

jds63, Nov 5, 2015
  14. novious Win User
    So as my luck would have it, or lack of, when I came back home after buying a external hard drive to back up my data I found that my PC is now in auto repair loop. I've been searching the forums and I found this
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html
    ^not sure if this will work for windows 10
    I just need to get to a point where I can back up my data then its a clean install from there

novious, Nov 6, 2015
  15. novious Win User
    novious, Nov 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Desktop background is only displayed and nothing else - Similar Threads - Desktop background displayed

2. How to make the weather widget only display weather and nothing else?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make the weather widget only display weather and nothing else?: At some point, the widget on the left side of the task bar started alternating between weather and stocks. I don't need up to the minute stock info, but I do like having a general sense of the weather for timing my day. How do I get it so that it only displays weather and...
  3. How to make the weather widget only display weather and nothing else?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make the weather widget only display weather and nothing else?: At some point, the widget on the left side of the task bar started alternating between weather and stocks. I don't need up to the minute stock info, but I do like having a general sense of the weather for timing my day. How do I get it so that it only displays weather and...
  4. system only playing system sounds, nothing else

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    system only playing system sounds, nothing else: I'm not sure when this started, but now Chrome and edge and windows media player won't play sound, but system sounds work fine (both in headphones and on the speakers). I've tried resetting to factory settings, adjusting all the speaker settings, but I can't figure out what...
  5. I can only hear myself and nothing else

I can only hear myself and nothing else: I dont fucking know how, but I was changing my mic from the one on the camera I have to the one on my headset and now I can only hear myself and nothing else. help me. submitted by /u/b1_v_ [link] [comments]...
  6. cortana only searches bings, nothing else

cortana only searches bings, nothing else: I just tried using cortana for the first time, had my laptop for more than a year but never thought about using cortana before today. but no matter what i send her she just searches bing and cannot do any of the other functionalities, it's really frustrating since i've got my...
  7. microphone only works in skype but nothing else

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microphone only works in skype but nothing else: Hi there, I am having a problem with windows recognizing my microphone. As the title suggests it can not be used for any application other than Skype have tried with Zoom, Camtasia, Audacity, and Discord. I am using an AT202 mic and a Behringer interface. They both appear...
  8. Cortana only returns Bing queries and nothing else

in Cortana
    Cortana only returns Bing queries and nothing else: Hi I have recently updated to the Windows 2004 Build 19041.264 of windows with the new Cortana. Cortana now does not set reminders read calendar or anything else Cortana is supposed to do. All it does is retrun a Bing search on how to do said command. I do not use...
  9. Gray rectangle on desktop with wallpaper, nothing else

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gray rectangle on desktop with wallpaper, nothing else: so after i set up this thing so that the computer locks at a specific time, im just getting my taskbar, a grey rectangle, and my background. i have tried running explorer.exe and that did not help. Help me!!!!!![ATTACH]...
  10. desktop background image will not display

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop background image will not display: had windows 7. now have windows 10. the start menu shows small version of correct desktop image I have chosen (family picture) but on the desktop it is black background. I can change the desktop image and it will remain black, yet the start menu image WILL change. so why...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Only screensaver Nothing else

2. only background but nothing else is displayed